What's new

So I'm walking through Best Buy and find a Laserdisc Player (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The wierdest thing happened to me today. I went to Best Buy to finally pick up my Jurassic Park 3 disc. For some odd stupid reason I decided to go take a look at the TVs and DVD players. And... There it was... A table filled with useless junk, such as old DVD Players in opened boxes, cables, a few floor model TVs and a big Pioneer white box with the words Laserdisc written down the side.
I stopped dead in my tracks. I stare at the box and say "No way that's a Laserdisc Player. I haven't seen a box like this in stores in about 4 years." So, I walk up an then say to my friend: "Dude, if that's really a Laserdisc Player... I'm gonna buy it!" The salesman turns around and says "Yep, that's a Laserdisc Player."
A big yellow price sticker right on the top of the box was stating $39.60. So, I tear open the box to see what model it was. It was an older Pioneer CLD-S201. No A-B side changing, no DTS or AC-3 outputs. But, for under $40! I just couldn't pass up a new toy.
Well, I paid the $39.60 and took it home. It actually powered up and works perfectly. Since my friend and I just bought a DVD Writer, and I put all my old LDs to DVD. I was thinking about canning my old CLD-D406. Now I have a great excuse to keep a LD Player just for the Star Wars THX discs! Wow... What a messed up thing to find at Best But. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
LUCKY! If they have a second I'll throw in something extra for your trouble to ship it to me

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
No extra Laserdisc Players at my Best Buy.

Got the Panasonic DMR-E20. Nice unit, but now I want to mess around with the Pioneer Elite.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I've had a CLD-S201 since 1993. It's a decent bare bones player, mine's been going on 8 years now without any problems, other than the fluorescent display getting dim to the point of being hard to read. But it still plays discs, on the infrequent occasion I actually use it.

I added a Precision Laserdisc AC-3 retrofit kit to it, that works great as well.

KJP

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Howdy John,

Please let us know how well the DVD-R's playback on other DVd players. Also how well does it record from an LD? How do you control the analog audio record level? Does it have firewire input/output?

I saw that model at Sears for $1K. I consider it to be a great value and will probably buy one later.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
No firewire input. Not too sure about audio control level, we've never needed to do anything with it. Other than that it does a great job backing up Laserdiscs. We ran S-Video from a DVL-919 LD/DVD combo Player. The only noticable thing is the DVDs come out a little bit soft in color. But, you'll only notice it in a direct A/B comparison. All our DVD-R back ups have worked on every player we tried. The rumor is as long as you have a 3rd generation DVD Player or newer you'll be fine. But they work on the Pioneer DVL-919, DV-525, DV-C503 and a Samsung Player (not sure of model).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
John,

Does that machine record the PCM stereo audio digitally? Does it record the DD bitstream?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks