So I'll be in the market for a new TV soon..

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lee_L, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

I want something big, at least 40", but no bigger than 55". I definitely want widescreen (do they even make 4:3 ratio big screens anymore?), and I want HDTV. I see these HDTV-Ready TVs or HDTV-Monitors, and from my understanding, you just need to get a tuner from the cable company, is that right? If so, how much do these tuners cost? It seems to be the cheaper way to go is to get a TV that's HDTV-Ready, then get the box from the cable company. Am I right, or is there something I'm missing?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Lee,

Best bang for the buck in your situation would be a crt based rptv. You can find a nice 50-51" set for around $1800, look at Sony KP-51WS510, Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi.

If your local cable company offers HD, they will provide the HD box for a small extra monthly fee, usually $5 a month more than the standard box--you don't have to buy it.
    Give your local cable company a call to see whether they offer HD and what the costs will be.

If you can't get HD from your cable company, you can buy an over-the-air only tuner box for $300ish and will need to put up an antenna. Alternatively you can go with a satellite HD box from DirecTV, Dish, or Voom. These will tune HD off the satellite dish as well as local digital signals, again with a separate antenna.

3. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I've been seeing some 46-47" sets running for around $1300, those seem like a good deal. But I'll talk to the cable guys.

4. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I know he said no bigger than 55", but the 57" Sony KP-57WS510 can be had for around $1800 these days.