1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

So, I watched LOTR in P&S on a 16:9 TV...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

.. and it was hell.
    A buddy of mine borrowed LOTR from his father and brought it over the other night. We're both waiting on the 4 disc set in November, thus the reason we don't own our own copies. Anyway, we had a little BBQ with our wives and plopped down around 10:00pm to watch this movie. As soon as the warning came up - you know what I'm talking about - I knew I was screwed. "Modified to fit my... what the?! You brought a FULL SCREEN movie over to my house?!" Turns out his dad doesn't believe in widescreen. I can't wait to talk to this guy, he'll be a widescreen nut when I'm through with him whether he wants to or not.
    So I did my bitching and moaning routine, but when all was said and done, my friend REALLY wanted to watch this film again. Of course, the TV was set to stretch & crop 4:3 material - I don't use the 4:3 mode - which made it that much worse. People's heads were huge, scenery looked like it was way too close, etc. I tried to fall asleep a couple of times to escape the agony but I was quickly awakened to ensure I "didn't miss any of it" [​IMG].
    Incidentally, my buddy said the movie "rocked" on my TV. Apparently, he didn't notice the little pan & scan demons laughing in the background. I'm thinking I should re-evaluate our friendship. [​IMG]
    Reminder: Next time someone offers to bring a DVD over, let it be known right then and there that it absolutely must be widescreen or we're not watching it. Much easier to say "no" when the offer is made than when everyone is comfortable and the movie is starting.

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

What we should all do for these situations is have a pair of those glasses that have open eyes painted on them, don them, and then close our eyes and go to sleep and dream sweet, OAR dreams till the butchering is over.

3. Kenneth G

Kenneth G Auditioning

Whenever someone brings a DVD over to watch on your TV, get it and read the back of it. Make sure it says Widescreen and not Formatted to fit your TV or 4x3, or 1.33:1. Make sure it says WIDESCREEN or Letterbox. If it says it's Pan and Scan, give the DVD back to him and tell him you will NOT watch that crap on your TV. Even though I have a 25" 4x3 TV that's older than a dinosaur, I still prefer widescreen.

Heh, I did watch my DVDs on a 55" 4x3 HDTV set. I really loved the quality. Even the non anamorphic DVDs looked sharp as a bell. On that TV, if you look closely and compare non anamorphic to anamorphic, you'll see that the scan lines are farther apart on the non anamorphic. So, anamorphic DOES make a difference, even on a 4x3 HDTV.

Pan and Scan is just sad. And zooming a Pan and Scan movie on a Widescreen TV is just sadder yet. I'm sorry to hear about your suffering. Let's hope it never happens again.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

If you think that's bad, just wait until one of your friends brings over a VHS tape to watch!
    Watching Chicken Run on VHS is just like watching it on DVD...if it was formatted to fit your screen, viewed through a dirty window and with pillows all around the speakers. [​IMG]

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I just saw the P&S LOTR at a local electronics store, and in the beginning when Galadriel says that 3 rings were given to the elves, they only show 2 of them! [​IMG]

7. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I stopped renting at my local store (who embraced DVD fairly early) for this very reason. If a release is available in P&S and Widescreen they will only purchase copies in P&S. I have complained several times but they don't seem to care. So I take my business 15 minutes down the road to Hollywood Video.

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

It's too late now, but couldn't you just have said that fullscreen DVDs can hurt widescreen tvs? Sure, it's not exactly true, but the bars on the sides of your screen -could- burn in!

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Just another reason why they shouldn't do separate pan and scan releases (either put them on the same disc as the widescreen version or not at all) and they need to STOP calling it "Fullscreen" since it makes no sense when applied to a 16x9 TV!

11. Kenford G

Kenford G Auditioning

Pan and Scan is so evil, it should be considered a sin. Let's worship WIDESCREEN and OAR as much as we can. I'm sure most of you do that already. I definently do that. If I switch the TV to a movie channel and I find out the movie that's on is Pan and Scan, I flip the bird to the TV and change the channel immediatly and then sterilize my infected eyes. LOL I even write a letter to the station that was showing the movie. I wrote Direct TV a couple times. "More letterbox on PPV. MORE LETTERBOX ON PPV!!!"

BTW, it is not hard at all to convert little kids to OAR. I got a little girl and an older boy to LOVE letterbox. The girl has to be at least 6 years old and the boy is probably around 8. The boy said he didn't like letterbox until I popped a movie in and started to explain it now. Now they just love it to death. And I also explained it to another lady and got her to convert. I hope. This was over at my Uncle's and we were having a little get together for my Grandma, since she died. And my Uncle has this 4x3 HDTV. Around 55". I think. Anyway. The picture quality was great. If I was to buy a TV, I'd go for a huge Widescreen set. 4x3 is the thing of the past. Time to phase that out.

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Amen Kenford! [​IMG] Welcome to the forum, your off to one helluva start my man!
    It's not even an issue for me, my freinds and family know better than to even suggest watching that shit in my HT. My philosophy, you want to watch 'LOTR' in foolscreen, go someplace else and do it, your not doing it here.

13. Jerry St.Marie

If you really want to see a really funny P&S to show doubting people show The Music Man. There is a barbershop quartet all through the movie and in most of the scenes you can only see three of the quartet at any one time.

14. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

LOL...this thread cracks me up. Before I was "awakened" to wide screen the black bars used to piss me off. Then when I realized what I was missing I felt kinda foolish. Another big reason to always watch wide screen is so my wife stops using the joke...."How do they know how big our tv is to have it formatted to the screen"

Reformed P&S knucklehead,
    Jason

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I rented the P&S version of LOTR by accident... I took comfort in knowing that at least because it's a super35 film I’d be seeing a little bit extra on the top and bottom than I would have seen in the widescreen version. Kind of treated it like watching deleted scenes or something. Of course if I hadn’t already seen it before, I probably would have taken it back.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I was watching the royal tenenbaums on PPV even though I own the DVD (don't ask, I dunno it was on, I was bored) in full screen. There's this scene where margot is talking to her husband outside, and they had to squeeze the picture together so they could fit half of each of their faces in the frame, MAN is it bothersome.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    While recently watching The Royal Tenenbaums, I was thinking that it must look horrible in pan-and-scan. Anderson seems to make full use of the widescreen frame, more than some other directors.

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yes.. yes it is.
    the movie just doesn't have the same impact that it does in OAR.

20. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

a couple years back, when magnolia came out on vhs (no dvd player yet), it was obviously in p&s, but there was this one part when the two characters on screen were at the complete opposites of the shot, so the movie made a REALLY smooth transition to widescreen for the rest of that shot...i said REALLY smooth because i didn't notice it had changed until probably the fourth time i watched it (five day loan from the library). that's a lot of magnolia! [​IMG]