So I Was At Best Buy today .....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alan halvorson, Feb 1, 2003.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I was at the Bloomington, MN, Best Buy on Lyndale and 494 (just down from Best Buy's new corporate headquartes - what a monstrosity that is), when I happened to notice this kisok in the back with the name "Theater To Go" on the side. Normally, Best Buy has one rear projector or another and some goofy surround sound system for people to play with in this area, but this time they had a front projector - a Sharp something-or-other 200 ($2,999) DLP mounted in the overhead position.

Of all the retailers I would not expect to carry front projectors, Best Buy would be at the top. I don't know if this is something they're experimenting with (probably). I doubt that they'll do well with the picture I saw - dull, washed out, no detail at all, way too much ambient light. Definitely not the best spot for such a demo. They ought to have done something with one of their siderooms - maybe someday they'll figure it out.

I suppose the idea is that if they can sell those expensive plasma displays, they can sell front projection to the same crowd. Somehow I doubt it, but who knows?

2. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

It is pretty surprising that they do have front projectors. I guess that if they carry a $10k+ Plasma that a $3k front projector isn't out of the question. The odd think is that front projectors are more of a custom installation item in a dedicated home theater and BB doesn't strike me as that kind of retailer. This must be a new setup that they have there. That Best Buy is about 2 miles from my house and I am there often. That BB headquarters is VERY large...

3. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

FP rocks. I want one bad !!!!!!!!!! I hope BB carries them so I can get the 24 month 0% on one [​IMG]

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Maybe they set it up to look bad on purpose to help sell those $10K plasmas! LOL! [​IMG]

_Man_

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Even when Good Guys had the small Sharp front projector, they tried to stick it into a dark corner to help it look better. But then it made that end of the store look .... un-interesting.

It is hard to show off a front projector without a dedicated demo room. Better stores than Best Buy have tried and failed.