So I think I've decided to go with the Onkyo 502

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Lee_L, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

www.jr.com sells the refurbished ones for $150, and shipping is less than $30, you can't beat that. But I've got a question, here's the back panel of the unit (click rear view):

http://www.us.onkyo.com/zoom.cfm?cla...er&m=TX-SR502#

Now I'll have 3 main sources:

PS2 (Component video, optical audio)
    Digital Cable with HD (Component video, coaxial audio)
    DVD Player (Component video, optical audio)

Now, my Sony HDTV has 2 Component video inputs, so I can run one of those sources directly to the TV, with the other 2 routing through the receiver. But, will everything match up? I mean, will I be able to do that and have the proper, matching audio plugged into the right input? It's sort of difficult to read what's on the back of the receiver so I'm not sure if it'll all work out like I want it to.

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Looks like one of the component inputs is shared between the three video inputs. I have this model, but don't do any video switching with it. You could configure it so that

DVD --> DVD in
    Cable --> Video 1 Digital/TV Component In
    PS2 --> Video 2 In Digital, Component

remembering to use the TV's second component in when appropriate. I'd imagine you'd go nuts.

Another issue is that the Onkyo has a video bandwidth of 50 Mhz. It can switch 1080i/720p, but it's not ideal. It is for that reason, I suggested you hook the Cable box (It is HD, isn't it?) directly up to the TV.

One thing to note is that the high availability of refurbished models may be related to low quality control. The '01 models were highly regarded; the '02 models are less so.

3. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Okay, so I'll hook up the cable box (yes, it is HD) directly to the TV, and use the DVD player and PS2 through the receiver. So would you recommend against the refurbished Onkyo? Should I go for a new one instead? I had a thread a week or two ago on here and lots of people suggested the refurb model.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It seems that the forum has already spoken...

I checked out the J&R link--it seems that they're on clearance. Perhaps, J&R is clearing them out in favor of the (upcoming) TX-SR503, which apparently adds 5 watts per channel and automatic room calibration. It's also $299.

5. John S

John S Producer

I have installed a fair amount of these AVR's from peopel bought refurbished. They seem solid, and I have switched a tn of HD through the component video switching on it, all with excellent results. Just more FYI on it is all.