What's new

So, I swore I was going to hold out as long as I could (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
With all the reasonable prices floating around on the net... I decided to make my jump into HD DVD today. I just purchased the Toshiba HD A1 and four discs to start out the collection! I ordered Sahara, Million Dollar Baby, Happy Gilmore and The Last Samurai for $506 and change shipped! I really hope this format lives up to what I am hearing. Nonetheless, I am really excited and can't wait for it to get here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Everyone swore, including myself, that we would sit out the
format war.

...however, the more praises you hear for HD-DVD the more
tempted you become to jump in.

I am very confident that you will be quite pleased with HD-DVD.
Sahara looks quite amazing!

Please, let us know what you think.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Count me in too, I've got 100.00 towards the purchase, my wife says I've gotta save for this one since the DVD in place Zenith DVB318 works fine. She let me get this one when I got the new t.v. First year of tuition for my son and daughter (5 and 4) and that taking up the extra cash.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Me too. I made comments on other threads about holding out yada yada yada...."won't be much improvement etc..."...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Boy do I feel like an idiot. :D

Have had my player a few days now. I can live with my flip flop decision. I figure at the very worse case scenario should HD-DVD eventually lose out, then I will still have an excellent upconverting dvd player. My other player was over 3 years old and was begging to be replaced. ;)

I even love the retro type look of the Toshiba. I really do. Kind of reminds me of the bigger vcr's back in the day. Pretty cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

We should start a support group....:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now, Tim, there's the right attitude everyone should have.

At worst, figure you are spending $500 for an excellent upscaling
DVD player.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks. :) There are some SD-DVDs I own that I won't replace on HD and can live with their upconverted-ness :D New tech term to add to the HTF glossary. ;)

Now I just need to get a real HD level monitor or projector. That's the next project. :)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
How many of you actually use the HD A1 for playing legacy (SD) DVDs? I hear how slow the unit is loading up and all, I don't think I could give up my Denon DVD-1600. Not to mention that the HD A1 doesn't do DVD-Audio, except for the DTS track on a disc. I'm actually thinking about getting the Oppo 970 to take over my legacy DVD watching, DVD-Audio and adding SACD to the home theater.

Last, to comment on Tim's last post... I WILL NOT be rebuying my DVD collection on a new format. Unless some new format comes out that replaces the circular disc technology (possibly square disks??? :D), then my old legacy collection is staying put! There will be exceptions to my rule for Star Wars, Indiana Jones and major,major, major re-releases. I actually got the urge to throw in Caddyshack last night, and that transfer is so bad... But, I'm going to stick to my guns on that one. As with tim, I too "can live with their upconverted-ness."

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Let me edit that I will and already have replaced several of my dvds for the HD-DVD version. How that plays out long term I really don't know. It might be difficult to go back to standard def on some movies. The movies I really do love and like to watch alot will get the nice little maroon case HD-DVD treatment. :)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Does the Tosh upconvert over component or is that only available over HDMI?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

From what I have heard the Toshiba players will upconvert over component as long as the copy protection has been removed from the DVD. In other words, if you pirate a DVD the Toshiba player can upconvert the image over component; however, if you purchase the same DVD then the Toshiba player will only upconvert over HDMI. The same situation applies to the Samsung BD player.

Thieves can watch upconverted DVDs over component but legitimate owners can't. Right on, MPAA!! You bunch of f%~#nuts!

Edit: I should add that I believe the Samsung player operates the same way. I may be wrong.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Too bad. That would've been a nice incentive to upgrade to the Tosh HD-DVD machine.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

That has nothing to do with Toshiba, no upconverting players will upscale via component only hdmi.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Yuh know, I gotta address this.

I was in the same boat. I swore I would not replace my catalog
of DVDs (I own 2,000 titles).

However....

HD-DVD still beats out upconverted SD-DVD. At this point, there
are so little good titles available on the formats that most of us are
already replacing catalog titles. I think the studios were counting on
that.

My point is, anyone who actually owns a HD-DVD player and sees
how superior it is to DVD will find it very difficult not to repurchase
titles they already own. The format will absolutely change your
mindset as far as the kind of quality you expect from the films you
watch.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Agreed Ron...another thing that I will more than likely have to flip flop on ;) I had this reasoning that really only the big event type films like a Star Wars, Indy, LOTR etc...would be ones I would upgrade. High Def image quality is not exclusive to those kind of films. Even the most plain jane film...You've Got Mail for instance will look far better on HD-DVD.

As I begin to purchase some HD-DVDs, I find myself doing what I did back in 1998...getting giddy and click happy searching for movies to buy. :D

I think about how many freakin' times I have purchased Stargate on so many different formats! A solid, fun film for sure...but nowhere near my top films of all time. I'm afraid I'm a sucker for collecting good movies in the next big format.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I did with vhs, vhs-hi-fi stuff, Laserdisc, DVD, and now HD-DVD.

I'm sure in another 7-10 years I'll be buying some new terrific format again. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, certainly, OLDER films look even MORE stunning on HD-DVD.
This is a primary reason why we are now tempted to replace
catalog titles.

Do not kid yourself into thinking that you will not replace
a chunk of your existing sDVD collection. I'll repeat: In my
opinion, HD-DVD is a noticeable improvement over upconverted
sDVD.

....and what we are doing here is not necessarily good for the soul.

Mind you, this format is in its infancy. The studios have not
taken full advantage of all the things that the menu system is
able to do in conjunction with supplements.

Just as we bought all those original releases on DVD, the
studios will refine their releases to the point where in two
years we will be double-dipping on the titles we bought today.

Some studio exec is probably reading this post right now
with a huge smile on his face.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to disagree with your statement, but for the forseeable future a lot of the films I have in my collection are not going to see an HD DVD or BD release. In the interim, while a person waits for HD versions, one should be able to watch their existing collection in the highest quality possible. Right now, the highest quality possible for the majority of films is upconverted DVD. That is why I'm P.O'd that a mandate has been put in place that prevents me from watching my own collection of DVDs upconverted over component. What is worse is that the mandate was supposed to prevent piracy, but the pirates are able to watch upconverted DVDs over component while I, with legitimately purchased copies, can't.

I cannot afford to drop dollars on a new set just to get an HDMI connector. Furthermore, I don't want to spend on a new set right now, because I think all of the present TV technoligies (LCD, DLP, Plasma) are going to be obsolete once Toshiba starts pumping out SED panels. I would rather wait for that technology before upgrading to a new set; although, with this sickness, I guess I should never say never. After all, somewhere on this forum, I stated I would never buy an HD DVD player; however, here I am waiting for a machine to arrive so I can pick it up.

I can also say that, at 28 bucks a pop Canadian, it will be a long time before I replace my entire DVD collection.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

for the most part, I don't think people will be upgrading their HD DVDs because of PQ or SQ issues- thats a huge distincition for me.

On the Bd side, I can easily see this NOT being the case. Someday the Fifth Element will be remastered and it will look a hell of a lot better than it does now. Pending a change in the color timing (which actually could happen at some point I suppose), I can't see a better edition of The Searchers coming out for a very, very, very long time to come.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I was going to hold out as well but then reading about the player and the firmware updates and stuff like that, added to the fact that my local London Drugs had the player on sale for $599CAD helped me change my mind.
I also got the guy to throw in a copy of U-571 for free if I bought it right then.

I just picked it up and will be setting it up later this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.