What's new

So I spent a night with Halo, and... (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just last night, I played Halo (well into this morning) for a good few hours. I must say I really liked it and wished I owned it so I could keep going. There are just so many little features that add to the game and make it more enjoyable. The enemy AI, the level design, the graphics...

But WTF is going on with The Flood? I thought it was supposed to be cool! I read all these things about how cool the flood was and how amazing it was, but it was a bunch of little jumping calamari. I guess the idea was that it would move like a wave of water or something and, thus, flood the room in a sense, but it was just dumb. All that build up for a dumb little bunch of things that jump at you when you get too close? Throw a bomb at them and they just all die, simple as that. Or you just get off a few good shots at the humanoid floods and they're down.

Now I played the game on Normal, so I guess it was a bit easier, but the Flood was a MAJOR disappointment. I really thought it was going to be some innovative new creature or something, but it wasn't. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Otherwise, I loved the game. Sorry if this rant pisses someone off.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Don't even bother throwing a bomb at them. If your shields are full, you can let them hit you and they'll die without having to waste ammo.

Now, I *became* disappointed with the Flood, but the first time the little bastards swarmed towards me and I didn't know they were easily killed, I about crapped my pants.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think that the big deal with the Flood was that it was completely out of left field when they showed up. You were fighting the covenant, and all of a sudden the flood show up out of nowhere. I think it'd be a lot more effective if you didn't know what was coming. Besides that though, they're really not that bad. True, there's the little "headcrab" guys (which can only get nasty without shields), but there are also the marines etc that get taken over by the flood that REALLY hurt.

Best strategy-meelee attacks for the little guys, machine gun for large groups, and shotgun for the other flood.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
the flood reminded me way to much of the mutates scientists in half-life. I still think that the early and end levels of halo are leaps and bounds above some of the middle flood intensive levels. Oh well, now that I've got my XBox Halo is again mine :)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The flood were somewhat of a problem the first time we played through. Actually though, once you realize that the exploding enemies can be used agains them, they're pretty easy.

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
I think the main issue you feel with them, is that you knew something was coming. Imagine not knowing anything about the Flood, like me.

I was playing along, and then all of a sudden you start to see the Covenant slaughtered and bloody and you don't know why, well, when the banging starts and the flood come pouring in... it was pretty damn cool. I also loved the entire fight against them in the Library. And nothing beats watching them take out the covenant for you, while you take pot shots from a safe distance. I loved it.

But again, if you were awaiting them and the hype was so great, I could see you not being blown away. But to NOT know about them, that was special.

T.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I agree with Tom here. I never knew about the Flood until they were all over me. I can still see myself shooting wildly with the assault rifle. Like everything else, I think knowing of it beforehand made it a spoiler for u.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
but it was a bunch of little jumping calamari
Sounds like maybe you've only run into the little guys (headcrabs, as some people call them). There are a few other types as well, and those are considerably nastier. Mutated humans and covenant will pick up weapons and blast you, and some will waddle up next to you, throw themselves down, and then explode, taking your shield with them. If you've only played through 343 Guilty Spark, then you haven't really met the Flood. The Library (next level) is where they start getting really nasty. Taken individually they are pretty easy to kill...but there's a reason they're called The Flood... :)

ChrisV

Second Unit
I thought the Flood were great. Of course, I was surprised by them and that was worth the price of admission right there. Bloody terrifying! Also, after blasting my way through wave after wave of Flood, I found myself feeling extremely casual about battling a few Covenant. It was almost relaxing. The Library is like an endurance test for your nerves the first time through.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I no longer have a copy of the game to play (but so wish I did, I fell in love with Halo overnight all over again). If I did, I'd play all the way through and then see everything.

I only saw the flood the first time you see them. Based on that, I was disappointed. My idea of what they would be, based on everything people said, was far from what they were.

Anyone wanna lend me an X-Box with their copy of Halo?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
That explains it, then. They aren't too bad when you first meet them in Guilty Spark (the swamp level). The next level is the Library, and that's where they really overwhelm you. None of them are terribly difficult to kill one-on-one, but the sheer number of them in the Library and subsequent levels is staggering, especially on the Heroic and Legendary levels. That shocking change from fighting a few skilled enemies (Covenant) to fighting hordes of unskilled but persistent enemies (Flood) is one of the central turning points in the game, and one of the best features of Halo in my opinion. Especially when you have to fight parties of each in the later levels.

Man, you are making me want to bust out my copy and play again.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The creature designs for The Flood are totally awesome. Those little crab things are nothing compared to what you'll see in the future. They take jump scares to a ridiculous level. And The Flood ain't just a creative name either. In Legendary mode, there are certain boards that create that Alienesque atmosphere where running out of bullets equals = f**cked.

Morgan, if you ever get the chance, play it on Legendary difficulty with a friend in co-op mode. It's too cool for words to describe.

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I usually use the butt of my gun to beat up most of these guys.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yeah!

Flood + Library + Heroic/Legendary = Holy shit!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Flood rule, man. I knew there was a second alien species out there waiting for me called "the Flood," but they still freaked me out by the time I got to them. The Covenant bugged me because they are so cartoonish looking, not scary at all, but now I wonder if that was a design decision, because the Flood are far more frightening by comparisson.

StevenK

Second Unit
It's a shame you knew about the Flood before playing. It's like watching the Matrix for the VERY FIRST TIME kinda experience. The Matrix is still cool afterwards...but that first time is undescribable.

Like others have posted here, the first time I encountered the flood I nearly shat in my pants. The one time Dolby Digital 5.1 was NOT a good thing since it was freaking the shit out of me. I actually had to turn it off and try it again later when I composed myself.

BTW...what did you think about Assault on the Control Room? Personally, I think it's the greatest designed level ever...puts anything Romero/Carmack did to shame.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Halo is one of the few games I palyed over the beginning in its entirety, the story is so engulfing and not all about flash.

Morgan try the Co-op mode in with you and a friend. It gets much more involving after that.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
They mostly come out at night...mostly
:D

I still highly recommend reading the Halo book, it makes the experience much more satisfying. Sounds like you quit one level too soon Morgan.

Dean

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I still highly recommend reading the Halo book, it makes the experience much more satisfying.
You got that right! Very nice read. You learn ALOT about the Chief that you never get in the game. Makes it much more deeper. I had to go back and do Halo over again after I read the novel since it gave me a particular hatred for the Covenant that I didn't have as much before.

My favorite level on Halo would still have to be Silent Cartographer. The Normandy-ish beach storming, finally getting to do some driving and, assaulting that cool underground facility, all in one level, was awesome! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks