So, I should set my speakers to SMALL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Bluhm, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Hiya, fellas. I have two pair of JBL S26II's. They're capable of reaching down to 48hz. The crossover on my sub begins at 50 hz, but I have it set slightly over that so they'll blend a bit. However, I've been reading around here that I should set my speakers to small with my receiver. That would only allow them to reach 80hz, if I'm not mistaken. Is this somewhat of a rule that all speakers should be set to small for best quality?

Thanks for any help.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. Adam Bluhm

Thanks, Phil. My room is still a bit of a mess. I only have two channels + the sub connected. Once I can move the sub into the corner I'll be able to fine-tune calibrate it. For now, it already sounds wonderful.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Adam,

Phil is very right. The reasoning behind that is, that at a turnover freq. of 80Hz, you will still use the ability of your mains to go as deep as 48Hz (less than an octave lower), because the cut-off isn't steep enough (which is nice, and gives you a better blending). But without setting it to small, your mains still cannot go as deep as say 30Hz or 20Hz to produce enough of the very lowest sounds that are present in your various channels.

Cees

5. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

6. Adam Bluhm

I was under the impression that I should have the LFE switch off unless I have DD or DTS playback.[​IMG]