SO I rented the Elite Evil Dead

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zack Scott, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

I was in Hollywood Video the other day and compleatly Jazzed about their selection of DVD's now (I haven't been this jazzed about Hollywood video since they first opened in my neigborhood two years ago) And I saw that they had the Elite vesion of Evil Dead. Now I have been holding off on purchasing this since the announcemet of the Book Of the Dead version a few months ago.
    So I popped in the DVD and started watching the Movie Commentary on. I started with Bruce's commentary first. It was allright, some funny parts but nothing outstanding. Then I watched it again with Sam and Bob Tapert's (sp?) commentary.
    OH MY GOD this wa probably the most boring commentary I have ever heard in my life. There was no life to this commentary at all. Compared to the Evil Dead 2 (Which was full of life and insightful tidbits of how in the hell did they do this) this was a true bore.
    I am very glad that I'm waiting for the new disc. Hopefully Anchor Bay will have a new commentary with Sam and Bruce and hopefully Ivan.
    Aside from that the Rough footage was an excellent way of showing how Tedious making a horror film really is. It brought back memories of when I did my film a whole month ago. Gave me a sigh of relief.
    But anyway I just had to vent. IT's still a great movie and the transfer is outta sight. And Now I can finally edit the three together for the Evil Dead Epic. (which anchor bay will probably do next year around christmas [​IMG]

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Ivan Raimi had very little to do with Evil Dead other than infrequent use as a "fake shemp" (i.e. double). Personally, I liked the Elite ED1 commentaries a lot. They were informative and fun. The only commentary I have ever heard that approached the Evil Dead 2 one for entertainment value was the Joe Dante & company commentary for "The Howling" laserdisc, so I guess my expectations were not so high.
    My favorite moment of the Evil Dead 1 commentaries was when Campbell explains their ingenious solution they came up with to get the shot of Ash firing the shotgun out the window -- they actually have him fire a shotgun out the window. Trust me - it's funnier the way he tells it! [​IMG]
    I will allow that it is sometimes funnier to here Sam & Bruce together making fun of producer Rob Tapert when he is not in the same room, though. [​IMG]
    Regards,

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The only big thing Ivan ever did in the Evil Dead series was co-write Army of Darkness along with Sam.
    The Anchor Bay version (which comes out in Feb. 2002) will be somewhat of a rehash of the Elite edition. The film will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen (the film's OAR is 1.66:1, all presentations of the film so far on video/LD/DVD are in open matte 1.33:1), a new DD 5.1 EX track along with a brand new DTS-ES 6.1 track (imo, DTS isn't nessecary for a low budget film). The DVD will include no new extras, but if AB does like what they did with their UK release, only the commentaries and trailer will be available on the disc (so the 20 minutes of rough deleted scenes/outtakes on the Elite DVD won't be present on the new DVD). IMO, get the Elite disc as it includes the 20 minutes of rough footage (also [imo], from screenshots I saw, the framing on the 1.85:1 version of the film looks a little bit "tight").

4. Zack Scott

5. Matthew Chmiel

6. Matthew Chmiel

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I thought the commentary for Cannibal: The Musical was a riot...I don't even care if they did fake being drunk (as some have suggested) I still laughed my ass off.
    Look at me here! I point up to a river...up to a river? You can't point UP TO A RIVER! That's just shitty thinking! - Matt Stone

8. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Guys (especially Matthew): that's not the whole truth! The upcoming Anchor Bay "Book of the Dead" edition will contain the documentary "Into the Woods" (although some parts with unlicensed music might be edited out) and the original soundtrack in addition to the stuff you already mentioned. I also believe it will contain the outtakes from the Elite disc. How cool is that?

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I'm pretty sure that's what they are calling the new docu they are making for the ED SE, Evil Dead : Into the Woods or something along those lines. I don't think Jussi was talking about the amateur short film Into The Woods that Sam & CO. made which helped show possible investors that they could make a feature film, I'm not really sure if that's why they made it to begin with but it did help them to that end (money wise) I know that much. They are going to have snippets of it in the docu minus the sound (as Jussi pointed out) I believe.

11. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Anyone know if there is a way to get into the woods? Is there out there somewhere?

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The short film prototype is called "Within the Woods", not "Into..."

Regards,

13. Zack Scott

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Within...Into..whatever...we'll never see it entire.