So I have new speakers...now what?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Drew_W, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

In a nutshell, my system used to consist of an Energy Take 5.2 + S8.2 setup powered by an H/K AVR225. I had problems with this amp even with those speakers, clipping on some very dynamic music. I recently upgraded my mains to Veritas 2.1s (which are PHENOMENAL, I have no need for DPLII any more, 2-channel heaven has been restored). This upgrade necessitated "borrowing" my Elite 53TX from the basement theatre (which is out of commission anyways due to a hot water tank leak, and so the theatre is filled with boxes from the furnace room). The Elite will be returning to the theatre soon, but for now it is a huge improvement over the H/K.

I am contemplating for this setup, which is near 100% music (no TV here, the occasional movie perhaps by SPDIF out from computer), going separates...5 channel amp + processor. Quite a number of different combinations possible here, but I'm trying to get a feel for which of the three paths I should take...then I'll start looking into specifics...

Another option would be to get another receiver that would "do it all" i.e. an RSX-1055 or an Arcam AVR200 or something like that. Again music is key.

Otherwise, I could just get another receiver and add on a nicer 2-channel power amp for the fronts. I've discounted this option somewhat though because as I'm migrating to SACD/DVD-Audio, vocals come out the centre channel, which I'll probably upgrade to the matching Veritas as well, and then I'll have an inconsistent front image with regards to amps. I seem to think that having the same amplification for all channels is desirable.

Hmm. I'm kind of stuck here and I'm not quite sure what the best way to tackle this would be. Help please? [​IMG]

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well when you say music is key that is kinda vauge the way you explain it. To me it seems like you are talking about SACD and DVD Audio along with CD. If this is true you are right. You would want everything, amps, speakers, etc. To be as close to being the same as possible. But that is very important in speakers, I.E. not using the energy's as surrounds and using a matching veritas 2.1's. But I dont think having matching amps would be as important. But it is a good thing to do.

Let me ask u a few questions. How loud do you play it? What is your budget? Do you have any brand preferences? Like do you like the sound of the pioneer over any thing else?

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

To be a little more clear, I'm *slowly* moving to SACD and DVD-A. Currently my collection consists of 2 such discs (as opposed to a couple hundred CDs). Stereo is still key, and I don't see upgrading the rears as economical at the moment. Besides, the match between Take.2 and Veritas is quite good (for now). I'm still on the fence abouut getting the matching centre, but that would require a 5 hour drive to Ottawa, so for now, that's out.

I like warm, room filling sound. I hear a setup at a dealer once that was particularly dull and dry. The fact that the Pioneer Elite has nice MOSFET amps that I am enjoying had me looking at Parasound, which uses MOSFETS, but in terms of brand preference, I have none. Do I crank my music? No. But I like to listen at a reasonable volume, and because classical music is so dynamic, that involves turning the volume up more than I would for rock/pop/jazz.

4. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

If I were you, I'd get a good 5 channel amp (maybe a used Parasound 2205 ~1100-1200) and use that with your current receiver. At that point, if that's not good enough, you might try to audition a pre/pro with the amp, and see if that makes a justifiable purchase.

My reasoning is that you're concerned about dynamics, and it is quite likely that a receiver can't provide that for you (unless you're going to get a sunfire ultimate receiver or Denon 5803, both of which are 3K+). I'm fairly certain a good standalone amp will outperform the amps in either of those receivers I just mentioned, while costing substantially less. And of course, you still have the option to get a nice processor later on.

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I don't have a receiver to add an amp to. The Elite belongs in my theatre, and my H/K doesn't have preouts...what you suggested would absolutely be the ideal solution, but seeing how I don't have an available receiver, this leaves me back at square one.

6. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

You never answered my question about your budget. Thats a huge playing factor, do you have enough to just go out and buy a krell stack? Or are you working with $500 here?

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

$1000-1200 USD. I'd be willing to push farther if it would bring some substantial gain. Bear in mind though, I'm in Canada, so importing used equipment has some extra costs associated with it (taxes at the border, etc).