What's new

General Discussion So I have cable through Spectrum and I mainly use the app (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Lately, I have been getting a warning stating if I delete the Spectrum App, I wont be able to get it again from the Roku App store. Is there something special about the Spectrum app or their contract with Roku that Necessitates this repeated annoyance?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Late to the game, and you probably already have your answer from elsewhere, but Roku and Spectrum are having a contract/carriage dispute. The current agreement states that as long as your Roku device has the Spectrum app installed, you can use it. But if you delete it or have to replace your Roku device, you will not be able to re-install it until Mom and Dad stop arguing.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Late to the game, and you probably already have your answer from elsewhere, but Roku and Spectrum are having a contract/carriage dispute. The current agreement states that as long as your Roku device has the Spectrum app installed, you can use it. But if you delete it or have to replace your Roku device, you will not be able to re-install it until Mom and Dad stop arguing.
Thank you Todd. These Carriage disputes are all too common now days.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As a consumer, I really don’t think it should be any content provider’s business which platform I use to access their app. As long as I’m paying for the service it shouldn’t matter in the least if I use a Roku or AppleTV or anything else to play it on. And I don’t see why the maker of the box should be entitled to a payout for content they never create nor host. The maker of my DVD player isn’t entitled to a check from a studio each time I buy a new disc, and the maker of my DVD player can’t decide that it’s not going to play discs from a particular studio at any time.

I don’t think regulation is the go-to solution for every single one of life’s inconveniences but given how often these little flair ups happen, maybe it is time for some regulatory agency to step up and step in and put an end to this nonsense. These practices wouldn’t be tolerated in pretty much any other industry. If Exxon suddenly declared that people who drove Ford cars couldn’t use their gas stations unless the Ford Motor Company sent a giant check, they’d instantly be in a world of trouble for breaking an untold number of regulations and laws, but when it comes to streaming video or cable, anything goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks