What's new

So I had LASIC (Pictures, 500K) (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Well, I finally had it done. Surgery was yesterday afteroon, I'm just getting ready to go to my day after checkup.

I saw an immediate improvement, though things werre cloudy all yesterday. Today, my focus is a little off, but great clarity for the moments they are in focus :)

They wouldn't allow my girlfriend to take pictures while I was in surgery, so she waiting until I got home.

Nothing says stud like enourmous black glasses.

Ray Charles ain't got nothing on me :b

I was related to a Dune Raider from Star Wars in a past life. (goggles for sleeping so I don't poke my eyes)

And finally, don't worry ladies, I still know how to love.
(see below for disclaimer)
http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/laser1/6.jpg

not completly work safe, a little weird, a bit of an obscene gesture) GIrlfriend took that one last night when I was high as a kite going to sleep, asked me to do something funny, this was the result. Not hotlinked for decency :D

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I actually had my first anniversary on November 5th and must admit it was one of the best purchases ever in my life. I have been wearing glasses then contacts since in fifth grade. I was 29 when I had lasik and my eyes continue to be in perfect shape. I would recommend this process to anyone who is in the market for the process.

If you are over 40 the consulting process is very important as they say your eyes begin to lose the ability to heal themselves than when you are younger.

Yeah, my glasses sucked too, one week and in the trash!

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'm scared that I'll move my eyes during the procedure and my eyesight will be ruined. It's glasses for me unless someone invents a procedure that doesn't involve (shudder) cutting my eyes.

The DVD of Same Guys New Dresses has a short video of Dave Foley's Lasik procedure. Not for the faint of heart.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

Ravi,

When the cutting is done your eye is locked in place, and only the film on your eye is cut. You are restrained at the head, and your eye is in a device called a "eye speculum" (sp? Think the unit gyno's use down... there..., if you've ever had a female describe it) but for your eye.

I had the option of a cheaper procedure using an older unit, but I opted for his newer machine. It has a retina tracking camera built in, and the computer judges as adjusts to eye movement, and shuts itself off if you go out of it's set range. Much safer then the original manual units.

I just got back 10 minutes ago from my day after checked. He pulled my eyes open, said "Wow, they've sealed over already", threw up an eye chart, I tested a 20/20 already with some minor focus problems, and he said over the next week I'll stabilize a bit more, and he expects a 20/15 to be an approx of my final eyesight.

Nothing but good things to say from me.

Jason GT

Second Unit

Sure he did. He knew when he was sitting in front of a piano and when he was sitting in front of a (computer) keyboard! :D

Funny pics. Hope the recovery goes smoothly.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

$2500 for his older machine and procedure, $3500 for his newer, computer retina tracking unit (much safer, I opted for this procedure) and a customized plan done up for pilots, etc that is $5500, and guarentee's better then 20/20 vision.

My procedure only guarentee's up to 20/20, but I've already seen hints of it being better.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I celebrated my 2 year anniversary back in August. Definitely was the best investment I ever made. In Denver it was only $800 per eye at that time.

It just blows your mind when they finish and you sit up and can actually read the clock on the wall. My eyesight was 20/400 (I think that was it, legally blind anyway) and I had astigmatism. The day after surgery I was 20/20 and this was looking through the blurry plastic contact they kept in my eye for a day, as protection. A month later I was up to 20/10 vision in one eye, 20/15 in the other. For my one year, my eyes fully adjusted and were stable at 20/20 and no astigmatism.

So congrats Scott and get ready to see things in a whole new light. ;) Seriously, you'll start to notice details you never saw before with glasses, like the fact that distant trees actually have individual leaves. :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Don't want to open a can of worms but with the new machines are there still horror stories? If the laser can shut itself off when the eye moves is there anything that can possibly screw up?

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

Oh, if only you saw the disclaimer sheets, about 25 pages long, so many horribly, horribly things that could happen. It was a risk I was prepared to take, but like every medical procedure, there are inherant risks.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
your night vision improve. Well I know everything is a lot clearer but are things less dark or cast in shadow? Might be too hard to tell. They say you can also improve your actual night vision or lux of the eye.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

From what I've read, a lot of people claim a slight loss of night vision after LASIK. I am only a little over a day out, so I cannot comment on it yet, but I am getting some minor "starbursting" from bright lights in darkness, but it's no big deal. If it fades any, they will be non-existant, and even if they don't, it is pretty minor.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Yep, like what happened with my niece's husband's surgery two weeks ago - cell culture growing on the inside of his lens, needed another op to go back in & scrape it out.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Your vision is likely to fluctuate for at least a few weeks. I could see only 20/30, 20/40 the day after my own surgery in Vancouver BC this year, but within a week to 10 days it zeroed in to around 20/15.

At night, the effect is about like wearing moderately-dirty contact lenses. Not debilitating, but noticeable. I actually expected much worse, given how large (8 mm) my pupils are! A lot of doctors would probably have shown me the door on that basis alone, but I wanted to lose the contacts even if it meant giving up some night-vision quality.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
4 years for me, and still 20/20. Greatest thing I ever did! No night vision problems. I had some dry eye early on, but that went away.

Now, I don't look at the alarm clock next to the bed at night. I look at the cable box across the room. Just cause I can!

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I woke up this morning, some litle irritation in my left eye. Turns out, under the sticky night goggles, an eyelash had fallen into my eye during my sleep. A little redness, and knowing I couldn't touch my eye to get it out was driving me crazy, do I more or less doused my eye with half a bottle of lubricating drops, until it flushed itself out :)

Little to no light sensitivity this morning, though I am a little more cloudy then I was when I went to bed last night. Focus is still coming in and out, not particularly consistant yet.

No terrible pains, horrible redness (other then my issue which I solved) and getting to sleep until 1 pm is a dream come true :b

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I hope it works out for you, good luck. I would never do it myself but I can understand why it's so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks