What's new

So I got robbed over the holidays.... (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm sorry, Patrick. I hope you get things sorted out soon, and I hope that the sense of violation soon diminishes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Oh man, Pat, my heart breaks for you, so so sorry to hear that this happened. :frowning::frowning:

I hope the cops find those pricks and puts them away for a very long time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I would hope that based on how you have so much of your stuff well-documented that the adjusters would have a certain amount of slack built into the process for all that stuff that you don't have so well documented. But, I have absolutely no experience in this situation....

That's why I take your words of warning with great care. I really do need to have my stuff better documented in the event of theft, fire, or some other catastrophe.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
About 17-18 years ago my truck broke down several miles from my apartment. I had to walk quite a ways to find a phone that worked. While away from the truck it was broken into. Stolen were some tools and a set of golf clubs. I had to make a claim with CSAA for the broken window and Farmers renters insurance for the tools/clubs as they were household items. I also thought I'd have a problem with Farmers but when the agent discovered I'd been a customer for nine years without a claim he said to send a list of what was taken and they'ed send a check, which they did with no questions asked.

CSAA was the same way. I was a customer for twelve years and even though I only filed a claim for the broken window the adjuster asked me the make and model of stereo and how many cd's were taken. I told her the stereo and cd's were still there. She asked me again, several times, until I said "Concord CD-5 and 8 cd's". She said thank you and cut a check in full.

Bottom line, how long I was a customer and how many times I filed a claim was the biggest factor in getting a fair (or exaggerated) settlement from my insurance companies. But that was quite awhile ago. These things might be handled differently today. A complete Police Report is probably your greatest ally.

My biggest problem was remembering what was in the tool box. As time went by I discovered more and more things that were missing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's what I figure would happen to me if I had to rely on memory...and I'm not just talking about DVD/BD titles! :eek:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
It's been almost 5 years since I came home and discovered most of my HT, all of my DVDs, a large amount of CDs and a few other things like the 12 gauge GONE.
$21,000 give or take.
I had serial numbers, nothing was ever recovered.
Not insured.
I claimed the loss on my next IRS filing.
Some of the more collectable discs can be quite pricey to re-purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I bet things are rarely recovered. But I'm also sure the Police love to have those numbers for the rare occasion when they have a suspect. Makes it much easier to prove that those were the item's that were stolen.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is so weird, but after trying to do a negative inventory (you really shouldn't try this at home, kids), it looks like none of my blu-ray titles were touched, but around 20 HD DVDs were taken, and probably 75 DVDs were also taken by the robbers. No love for blu-ray by the thieving community? They did take every video game I owned (probably around 15-18 titles).

mylan

Screenwriter

This is sounding more and more like amateurs, kids even. They didn't take the LD players or demodulaters because they didn't know what they were. Why they left the BD discs or computer is beyond me, did they run out of time or not need either?
I don't think your burglury was a random event unless other homes were hit near you. I think the thieves knew you were going out of town and you had HT gear, unless there are gangs in your area I would suspect the neighborhood kids first, even college age home for the holidays.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the perps knew exactly what the LD player and the RF demodulator box were (dead technology), and knew how hard it would be to flip it into easy money. The same goes for my old non-HDMI receiver, and pre/pro and amp. And they left the old school Showstopper DVRs and VCRs since they weren't high-def. They also knew to leave the Comcast cable box alone since it's useless to most people even with Comcast cable, plus there's the traceability factor, I suppose. They left my old clunky 27" SD TV set. They left my Panasonic RP91 DVD player on the floor, probably because they couldn't fit it into the suitcases, otherwise I suspect that would have been stolen.

Just got off the phone with the insurance adjustor, no on-site visit, just a taped phone call, and follow-up paperwork for me to submit. That was weird, but I guess they are just trying to cut costs in travel for their adjustors.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I'm sensing a "Help Patrick Spend His Insurance Money" thread in the near future.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

In the mean time, I'm heading the warning from this thread and documenting all my equipment's serial numbers, finding receipts, and taking tons of video and pictures.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Take your time with filling out the papers for the insurance adjuster. His/her job is to get you to act quickly and for the least expense to the company. Same with auto accidents....they like to get your signature for settlement before you feel the pain.

The insurance company is not your friend....and after two substantial claims in as many years they likely won't want you as a friend any longer and may surcharge or cancel your policy at renewal. Try to get a look at your C.L.U.E. report after this is settled so you'll know what to expect should you have to shop for coverage from a different carrier in the future.

Mort

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Good advice about taking one's time.

I'm also bracing for the mighty inevitable response of being dropped by my insurance carrier, especially in tight times like these.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Adjusters are not always out to screw you. I had some mold damage behind my kitchen cabinets from behind a leaky pipe. They adjuster was very cool. I asked what would happen if repairs were more than he wrote down. He replied this way..."If its too little. Call me and we will get you another check. If we give you more money than it costs to fix....Don't call me and have a good dinner." :D

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

My old home and garage were broke into 3 times in 2 years. I lived in a nice part of town and assume that it was the same person/s each time. I ended up moving.

I had been with my insurance company for 5 years and the first two robberies occurred one week a part. So now onto what I learned from this experience.

1.Take your time filling out the paper work. Three months later I would go to get something out of my garage and realize it was gone. At the time I never even noticed it missing. If you have a lot of stuff it is very hard to account for it all. Pad/lie call it what you will but I wished I had done it.
2. Prepare to get some low numbers on the cost of your goods. Example: I bought a PS2 the first night they came out so my unit was 3 years old when it was taken. They gave me $85 dollars for it because it was used. New ones were selling for $199 so I couldn't even replace it for what they gave me. Pad/lie call it what you will bit I wished I had done it.
3. You will probably want to fix or repair the area that they broke getting into your house. You will probably want something better then you had. Remember that money is coming out of your check.
4. Unless you have extra insurance on your jewelry expect to have your butt handed to you.
5. I was dropped after the first break in and I didn't even turn in the second one for fear of being dropped. Had I known that they were going to drop me I would have reported it.

Insurance Company -- Shelter

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Did you have an xbox live account on your 360? I wonder if there is a way for MS to see if your unit is being used and locate it somehow? Honestly, I have no idea if that is even possible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I had an officemate look for my gamer's tag while he was home on vacation, but it never came up in the 2 days, so I went ahead and called Xbox Live and had them cancel my Gold account. I guess I never registered the hardware because they couldn't find any serial number associated with my name, address or gamer's tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks