What's new

So, I finally started watching Battlestar Galactica (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[SIZE= 20px]FINAL WARNING[/SIZE]

Did I not ask that we stop this debate between

the two series?

Did all of you not read that request?

Nobody is going to get creamed here because

the next person that is looking to threadcrap here

is going to get their account suspended.

Thank You.

kowalski65

Agent
Real Name
Joe
I'd like to apologize for pulling the conversation into directions the site owner and most of those commenting didn't want it to go.

I thought comparing the original series to the recent one was relevant to the discussion, but I (and Jack) seem to be in the minority. So I'm done here now, I won't jump back in even if somebody torpedoes me, promise. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(I do wish someone would start a thread about "re-imagined" movies, series, etc., though. A new "Hawaii Five-O" series is about to come out of the chute. My fingers are crossed.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I thought this series was extremely disappointing. I started out loving it, but by the third season I just lost interest. I think BSG is much like Firefly in tone, and the style of filming. Firefly would have been perfect....if it hadn't gotten canceled.

I can't wait for Ronald Moore's "The Thing" remake though. He is a very talented writer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I think BSG owes a lot of debt to Firefly for tone...

What? Maybe I don't remember Firefly that well but I think the tones of both series are very, very different. BSG was a grim and serious series while Firefly was a fun western in outer space.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

What? Maybe I don't remember Firefly that well but I think the tones of both series are very, very different. BSG was a grim and serious series while Firefly was a fun western in outer space.

Firefly was very dark, and seriously dramatic. It was funny in spots, but humor is a part of life. For every 'fun' moment in Firefly there are 20 more 'sad' moments. Great show.

In the BSG pilot look for the Firefly ship.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
When that scene was revisited in one of the final episodes, the Firefly was gone. But I'm glad it is there in the pilot.

The same effects house did Firefly and BSG. They'd become really good at the "hand held camera...in space!" style with Firefly, and it seems that the effects people sold the concept to the bearded producer of Galactica because they felt it was a really good style for making things seem real. (I'm forgetting his name at the moment.) In his commentaries he doesn't credit Firefly for the style, but he's likely not being rude, rather he was probably sold on the concept by the effects people and hadn't ever seen Firefly himself. No one saw Firefly when it was on!

P.S. Curses HTF for putting that "CLEAR" button right where one expects a "SUBMIT" button to be! And no "undo"!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hey, notice how those buildings outside the windows are also the apartment complex where Boomer ended up as she was adjusting to her new life.

I think it is also the apartment complex where Starbuck was held prisoner.

The room itself (with the slanted wall windows) is also the "V" visitors' embassy on "V".

It gets used far too much.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I watched BSG "Mini Series" for the 6th time last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it again!

and of course I made sure to watch out for "Serenity" flying in the windows above the Doctor's surgery when the future Madam President is receiving news about her cancer

loved Firefly / Serenity motion picture and totally loved BSG mini series and the first couple seasons...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Bumping this old thread on the news that Battlestar Galactica will no longer be seen on Amazon Prime, meaning that it will have no home among streaming services.

https://twitter.com/BSGmuseum/status/1137947665663234058

Those of us that have the blu-rays and DVDs can rest easy in the knowledge that changing content on streaming services doesn't affect physical media.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not. I'm never surprised when any show or movie leaves streaming. Just like I stopped being surprised decades ago when a show would leave syndication. It's all about numbers and cost. If the number of viewers doesn't offset cost enough then it's gone. I'm absolutely sure there's an algorithm the streaming services use to determine which shows to jettison. I'm also fairly confident that much of what they license is packages of shows/movies just like with the cable industry. It'll be interesting to see what else goes away with BSG.

With Amazon it could be as simple as they're having some dispute with the license holder, something that kept Warner properties off the site for several months - even those for which people purchased "season passes" (I know as I'd purchased the new seasons of Supergirl and Arrow only to not get new episodes during the months of the dispute - granted, I used "slow shipping" credits for the purchase [so they really cost me nothing] and they were incredibly cheap [$4/season] but they were gone nonetheless).

This is exactly why I'll never give up my physical collection.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Huge fan of the 200X re-imagined BG here; great series that addressed a lot of current topical issues in the guise of Sci-fi. Liked how they completely re-did the original series, while still keeping some of the elements of the original (i.e., Baltar being a traitor, etc.). I enjoyed this re-imagined series more than the original late '70's show, and I was a big fan of the original. Also enjoyed the short-lived prequel Caprica.

However, I do have one minor quibble with the series - note there are SPOILERS below (I know how to make a SPOILER tag, but the series finale aired over 10 years ago - so I don't think it's necessary in this case):

-In the last episode of the third?! season, it's revealed that many of the characters that we thought were human were actually Cylons - they all end up coming together in an area of one of the ships, and are drawn to each other because they all faintly hear snippets of Bob Dylan's iconic rock song "All Along the Watchtower" (it's actually a cover of that song) in their "heads". When I first saw this episode years ago, I strongly suspected that what they were hearing were radio waves from Earth, and that they would eventually reach Earth...in the 21st century.

However, as well all know, the 2009 finale of the series shows them all reaching Earth...in the prehistoric era.

So, it seems that the ALTW song was coming to them from a time-warp/alternate reality?! of sorts. In any case, it's sloppy writing. I.e., it's misleading to make the viewers believe that the Galactica crew would eventually reach Earth in present-day (as they did in the original series). I.e., I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this was going to happen when seeing that third season finale.

Conversely, if ALTW had not been in the show & the ending had been the same (i.e., ending up on prehistoric Earth), that would have been fine.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
False assumption is that the ALTW had to have originated on Earth and with Dylan in the first place.

It could have originated on the original Kobol or the Alternate Earth they went to that was destroyed or anywhere else along the way and been programmed deep into the Cylon/Human brain since they all knew it without knowing how/why. When they landed and propagated on what we assume in the current Earth, the song could easily have been kept alive through the years as a race memory in the Cylon cells which Bob Dylan translated that memory into the version we know.

Or Dylan was actually a Cylon or child of Cylon whose parents unconsciously hummed that tune to him as a baby

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Good point(s). However:

In the third season finale we see a group of characters brought together because they all heard an extremely popular rock song from the 1960's (or rather, a cover of this song) playing, originating somewhere in space. Based on this scene, I don't think it's a stretch to draw the conclusion that they are hearing radio waves from Earth in the 20th or 21st century, and that they are eventually going to reach Earth in the present or not-too-distant past (presumably the song took years to reach them in space). I.e., I don't think I'm the only one that thought this.

Obviously, I was mistaken & misinterpreted the "All Along the Watchtower" scene. I did like the series finale as it stands, i.e. the BG crew reaching Earth in the prehistoric era. It's the last thing I would have expected, and as such I consider it a very clever & imaginative ending.

Last edited:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Shows leave and come back to services regularly but they are always on my Plex Server. As for the reboot i liked it but i think it went off the rails after the episodes where they live under Baltars rule on the planet and Apollo gets fat and lazy, they never recovered, that being said i want to get a blu ray set

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The funny thing about the ending for me - and this is not meant as a brag or anything - but I had it figured from the first episode that we were seeing a prequel to humanity on modern day earth, and not our future.

It wasn’t super genius rocket science on my part. It was the lack of a chyron or title graphic telling is what year the show took place in. Usually sci-fi movies and shows telegraph how far in the future from us they are. I immediately was suspicious because of that. But it didn’t ruin my enjoyment of the show. It was fun to watch waiting to see if I was right or wrong.

Only thing about Watchtower that bugs me is that they used the incorrect lyrics from the Hendrix version that tons of other people have come to believe are correct. The lyric is “There must be some way out of here.” Not “There must be some kind of way out of here.” I’ve always disliked that change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks