What's new

So... I bought a Region Free player and ordered Delicatessen.... Now what? (1 Viewer)

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator
Tired of waiting for Delicatessen to be released in Region 1, I took the advice of some members here at the HTF, and bought a Region Free player and ordered the R2 version of this movie. Even if this was the only movie I could play on my new player, I would be more than happy with my purchase. But I am sure there are many titles which either have not been released on Region 1, or have better features/transfers that their Region 1 counterpart. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the All-Region Club, Juan.

Since I don't know your taste in movies, I would suggest that you check out four websites.

DVD Beaver has a large database of multi-region DVD comparisons that I find extremely helpful.

The Rewind Database is a very extensive database which compares the specs of DVDs from different regions and makes a recommendation on the best version of each film. Note that no attempt is made to compare the video or audio quality, however.

The Laser Examiner publishes some of the most tech-savvy DVD reviews on the Internet. They sometimes review R1 and R2 releases of a given film.

Finally, Michael D's Region 4 DVD website maintains a list of which R4 (Australian) DVDs are superior to their R1 counterparts.

It takes a little research to uncover the non-R1 treasures, but--in the end--it's well worth it.

Addendum---2 other essential websites:

DVD-Basen features the largest (at least that I'm aware of) searchable database of DVD reviews from all regions.

Link Removed is a UK-based multi-region price checker that I've found quite helpful.

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a million Brian. I will certainly check your links.

If Carlos Saura's El Amor Brujo is one of the films I will now be able to watch, I will be a happy man!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Brian,

Thanks for your links. I just found a dvd that I didn't know was being released!!:)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I got that Delicatessen as well, probably from the same thread. It looks excellent and has decent extras.

If you like action/martial arts, check out the R2 Drive starring Mark Dacascos and Kadeem Hardison, excellent film. It is a director's cut in anamorphic widescreen as opposed to the p&s regular cut (shorter by about 15 minutes).

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I love ordering films that are just hitting the US theaters on DVD....

Bend It like Beckham
28 Days LAter

were two notable ones that you could have DVD parties with a HT presentation while they were jsut hitting the theaters. Two new titles:

I'm not Scared
Zatoichi

Or, films that are several months out for US home video market, but avaiable abroad...

In America
Touching the Void
Triplets of Bellville
Calendar Girls

Or versions of US films that won't be available here:

Kill Bill Uncut Version

It's a great opportunity to jump into the all region market, but it can cost you an arm and a leg.

Ron

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I purchased a multi-regional player a couple of years ago for a similar reason, I was tired of waiting for a R1 "All That Jazz". Your viewing horizons have been broadened, enjoy.

Real Name
Anthony
Some from the UK :

THE DEER HUNTER S.E
THE BOUNTY S.E
THE FIFTH ELEMENT S.E
THE HITCHER S.E
HENRY : PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER S.E
SANTA SANGRE S.E
ROMAN POLANSKI BOX SET (CUL DE SAC S.E, REPULSION S.E, KNIFE IN THE WATER S.E and bonus disc of 8 short films - you can get this for a very low price from www.play.com )

All these come highly recommended and are (as yet) unavailable in the US. You might also like the French S.E of FLASH GORDON which comes with a comm and a CD of the soundtrack.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Eyes Wide Shut uncut is one that I could never live without.

You might try out Nicheflix since they carry a huge selection of imports available for rent.

If you are using a 16x9 set, there's numerous releases that are anamorphic overseas that aren't here.

True Lies
Evita
Raising Arizona
Office Space
Brazil
Orgazmo
Beautiful Girls
Misery
Big
Home Alone
Chariots Of Fire
Dune
Fierce Creatures
The Game

Then there are uncut versions of films like:

Gia
Eyes Wide Shut
Scream
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Hard Target

Being region-free is a must as they are simply too many films not available in R1 as well as too many inferior releases.

Jeff

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator
This is great stuff guys. I see a few things already that I will have to buy now. Please keep adding to the list: Anamorphic, DTS, Uncut versions, Special Editions.... Lots of benefits owning a region free player.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Juan: there are comprehensive lists that have been put together that can tell you what is available in other regions that would vary from Region 1:

Run a search in the regional forum here and there several comprehensive lists Non-region 1 titles in the international forum at www.dvdtalk.com:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=343535

I would start with both of thoses for a wealth of information. I would think the mods wouldn't want us to start a list like your asking for, when it already exists in other posts and talking non-region 1 in the region 1 software forum.

Ron

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Juan

Marvellous that you bought a multi region player, and I am sure that you will not regret this.

My suggestion was The Deerhunter SE as well, a Michael Cimino audio commentary is exclusive to the UK as far as I know

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks