What's new

So how popular is the Toyota Prius in your area? (1 Viewer)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

I think it's the different formula that the PRK demands. It's supposed to reduce pollution by being oxygenated, which in turn limits supply, and in the land of the never ending freeway there will always be demand.

Mort

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Of interest: In my Google searches on the Prius, I noticed repeatedly that there was an intense buying surge for the Prius in 2005: More than a hundred-thousand of the things were sold.

I hope this portends well for the future.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, in the areas with the largest concentration of Prius's, do you notice a lot of low lying smug?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

I would also agree that this is a more analytical and reasoned response to the analysis - that was my point back to Al. There is still good food for thought provided in the article and I would assert that not "all" of it is exxon propaganda. I would also be interested in hearing from actual "owners" about there real life mileage experience with the PRIUS. I came very close to buying one myself awhile back but convinced myself (before gas prices went crazy) that the added cost of the hybrid technology made the overall "lifetime" cost of the vehicle not quite ready (at least for me).

And yes Al, I know, all cars have inflated MPG estimates! ;)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith

I think the popularity of the Prius has more to do with the "trendiness" of being green here in LA and folks desire to use the car pool lane (although car pool lane stickers are no longer available). Plus, I believe Toyota is intentionally shipping more to this area, and a few other cities. They aren't being evenly distributed across the US.

At the beginning of this year, Toyota started to offer incentives to move the Prius which it hadn't done in the past. The last sales numbers I saw indicated that it didn't look like Toyota was going to hit it sales targets for the Prius this year. Of course it is always possible the incentives will help get sales back.

Some of the biggest polluters on the road right now are older vehicles (1985 and earlier I believe). They put out many times more "green house" gases than newer vehicles. If people were really concerned about the environment, they would buy a regular Civic or Corolla and donate the money they saved to a program that gets these older cars off the road by helping the people driving them afford brand new vehicles. That would do far more environmental good.

Of course, then they wouldn't be driving a hybrid so others wouldn't know they are concerned about the environment and that is really what it is all about right?

-Keith

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
re: HOV stickers for Prius.

I heard on NPR some weeks ago: The sticker adds up to $4000 to the price in the used market in the LA area. The guy was saying that he could not think a single option/accessory which increased the value of a used (and even perhaps new) car by that much. Not leather seats, not 4WD, not automatic transmissions... nothing! :eek:

--
H

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
While I'm in no rush to buy a Prius (just not my style), I'd be happy to 'go green' and make my next car a diesel Mercedes.... but they don't sell biodiesel within 90 miles of my house!

EDIT: Nevermind, it would seem the Mercedes-Benz BLUETEC and CDI diesel engines "Do not meet the emissions requirements of Maine, New York, Vermont, California, or Massachusetts and is not available in these states." So while BMW's BLUETEC is "cleanest in the world", appearently New York would rather have the standard issue sulfur spewing regular diesel vehicles on the road. Aren't Petroleum & Enviromental lobby groups fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks