so how much would YOU pay for a movie you loved?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i just found out that a movie i have always liked is available on an R2 japanese release for $45 shipped.
    in this country it's a Universal title which means if they ever do decide to put it out it will most likely street around $10-15 and should look pretty good.
    it also means it might not come out for a long time 'cause Universal is pretty damn screwy in their choice of releases and they just don't put out that many catalog titles per year compared to other studios.
    so i can have a movie i love, in my hands next week for about $45 shipped, or i could just keep waiting and hopefully be rewarded in the future.
    or wait and wait and never get it, and risk having the only other avialble source for it going OoP.

i'm leaning towards ordering it, but i'm curious- whats the most would you guys pay for a movie you loved that was hard to find?

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Honestly, in 90% of the cases I wouldn't pay over $20 or so if only for the simple reason that there are so many **cough** unauthorized **cough** dealers that are quite reputatable and offer good product. Per forum rules, I won't go into specifics. I will state that I would never ever buy something that is commercially available in the U.S. from an alternate source. However, if it's something that's rotting away in a vault with no chance of release, then I feel it's fair game.

I might have to accept a DVD-R instead of a true DVD, but if done correctly it should look fine. Even some labels like VCI are starting to offer DVD-Rs.

The 10% of cases I would exceed the limit would be a special circumstance where a restored or definitive version existed elsewhere. For example, the only place where Laurel and Hardy fans can get decent DVDs are in Europe where restored versions exist. When Vision Video (Universal in England) comes out with their series later this year, I'll be picking them up. There is no vendor, authorized or otherwise, that can offer comparable quality on Laurel and Hardy films in the U.S. unless they've illegally bootleged a European disc.

Steve

3. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Depends on how much I loved it. Back in the Laserdisc days I would spend a hundred bucks on a Special Edition of Terminator 2. I forget how much the boxsets of Aliens, and The Abyss were, but as I recall, they weren't too cheap either!

Ric

4. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I do it all the time. I paid $60 for the first season of Futurama when it was only available from the U.K. and Thin Blue Line from the UK and now that I have seen the specs of the Japanese version of Kill Bill (english subtitles) I will be getting that one as well. If the studios here are going to give the extra material to overseas to try to prevent parallel imports then I will be parallel importing.

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

$45.00 for a film I love is a no brainer if "other" releases of the film haven't even reached the rumor stage. Like Ric said, back in the day, spending $100.00 for a Laserdisc SE release wasn't out of the question for the right film.

- Walter.

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well back in the early 80's I bought a few movies on vhs that would be well over £100 in todays money... Blazing Saddles, The Exorcist, Enter The Dragon, Star Trek the Motion Picture and a few more all cost me 40-45 pounds each back in 1981.

I paid £50 for a bootleg copy of the b/w classic 'Mighty Joe Young' (1949) back in the 80's because there was no other way I could have owned it then. I'd pay good money to have a pristine copy of that film on dvd today.

7. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

It depends on the movie, the R1 release, the studio that releases it and an inclusion of a DTS track sometimes.

I paid about US$40 plus S&H for an R2 release of The Terminator: UE. Even though it's been released here, I paid for it cause I love the movie, the artwork was amazing and the DTS track was what sealed the deal.

Unless there's been rumours of an R1 release soon, don't buy it. If there's no word on it whatsoever... get it. [​IMG]

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I paid $50ish shipped on E-Bay for the recent (non) release of Ed Wood. I don't have multi-region capability and this was cheaper than getting a hacked player and buying a non-Region 1 copy.

This title was recalled twice after the disc was already pressed and distributed to retailers, causing huge expenses for Disney. It's a sort of cult classic that probably wouldn't sell in huge numbers so I was fearful that Disney would cut their losses and not release it at all in the future, so I bought it.

9. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

The most I ever spent was $50 for the Criterion release of Brazil. And, I would definately do it again. The decision was solely based on the two available versions and the plethora of extras and commentaries on this set. Usually, I could care less about extras, so unless it was an exception, as was Brazil, it would be hard to justify such a purchase .. well, unless we were talking about series like Band of Brothers or TV Seasons, which do not apply to this thread.

I pity the Laser disk days with dropping $100 for "some" titles was typical. Seems excessive to me. So, I guess I can't really complain or I wouldn't have the modest collection that I do.

Regards

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Likewise! If an import title has better features than its US R1 counterpart, the import is what I'll buy.

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

If I loved the film, I would go above and beyond. Think of it as investing in excellence. If you paid say, $100 for one DVD, but it was the one film you adored above any other, it would be worth the cost. If you took that same $100 and bought five $20 discs that you "liked", you've added numbers to your collection but not necessarily the quality.

Bruce

12. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

In terms of LD, I spent a lot of money on Box Sets - some good, some bad (Criterion Brazil, Star Wars Definitive Collection, - but it's starting to look like it was a good investment after all).

I can't say I've spent a lot on 'must have' DVD's, but I did manage to snag a couple of Laurel & Hardy R2 DVD's from amazon.uk (Vision Studios from the Kirch restorations) on special at about £9.03 after shipping ($25 CDN) vs. their original prices of £18 each before shipping.

About a month ago I won an eBay auction for the 3M 'Way Out West' laserdisc, and paid $20 US because no one else bid (for a change).

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Well, I'm a child of the laserdisc era where
    it wasn't uncommon to pay up to $120 for a film
    that I really wanted.

With that mindset in mind, I would probably pay
    up to $200 for something that I know I would never
    get on R1 DVD.

For example....

* A restored road-show edition of It's a Mad,
    Mad, Mad, Mad World

* Disney's Song Of The South.

14. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Fortunately, I own most of what I really want, though I would pay quite a bit for certain fantasy dvds, such as the Mad World version Ron mentioned.

15. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Well, I have paid a ton of money on the movie I love the most: JAWS. The widescreen VHS, the first WS laser, the boxed set laser, the DD DVD, AND the DTS DVD! Whew! And when they bring it out on HD-DVD another copy will be bought.

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I could name 4-5 movies or programs I'd pay $100 each for - provided they were good quality, and someone would guarantee they wouldn't be issued a few months later for $15 each [​IMG]

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I spent $175 on a VHS tape of Lady & the Tramp when it was in rights hell and looked like it would never be released again. We all saw how well that plan worked out. [​IMG] I eventually gave it away when I got the DVD.[​IMG]

18. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I'd pay $50 for an R1 of Cemetery Man.

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I was totally willing to buy the Region 2 version of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, so I did for around $40 ($20 for shipping!) for a two-disc set. I'll be willing to spend up to $100 on the original Star Wars trilogy VHS set in widescreen on eBay.

20. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Well, I'm also an old LD user (still use LD) and if there is a title that I really want on DVD/LD or even VHS, that are very unlikely to be re-issued cheaper I could pay 200$ maybe even 250$. Because, I rather have THAT one special movie than 5-7 DVD's with ok movies.

I did in the early 90's pay around 300$ for the Japanese LD of Flesh for frankenstein. [​IMG]