What's new

So how long until we can receive HDTV LOCALS via satellite (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I've searched this forum and the internet in general, and I'm just curious if there has been even any talk of receiving a high definition signal of LOCAL channels through the dish (mainly Directv) and not need an OTA antenna.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Wouldn't that be great!! Especially for us fringe (read forgedaboudit) people. No cable here and OTA is nearly nonexistant on VHF and nonexistant on UHF, yet my area is considered a "grade B" reception area. If we hadn't gotten the networks on our dish before the "crackdown" we just wouldn't watch any network TV. Don't know your situation, but if it's like mine it looks pretty bleak for DTV!!!

DanP

Agent
I dont think you'll *ever* see locals in HD off satellite. Maybe one each of all the Networks in HD from a National signal if you live in an area that qualifies. Like Dish Network is offering with CBS these days. Otherwise though theres just not enough bandwidth to allow for that, even after a wouldbe merger. Not when they can cram 6 or 8 SD channels in the same amount of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks