What's new

So how long do you give me til I buy an X-box? :-D (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you plan on getting an X-Box, there's no time like the present. Lord knows if I had a lot of spare cash, an X-Box (with HALO and the High-Def pack) would be in my top 5 things to get.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
If you plan on getting an X-Box, there's no time like the present. Lord knows if I had a lot of spare cash, an X-Box (with HALO and the High-Def pack) would be in my top 5 things to get.
You'd need a lot more cash in the UK. That'd run you close to $600.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Damn you XBox-lovin' fanboy bastards. . .
. . .You guys cost me about $460 today. :)
XBox, Halo, and various cables and things I needed to hook it up. Already had a demo disc and a copy of NFL Fever, so I'm set.
So when does the next good game after Halo come out?
(ducks):D
Man, its a nice feeling to be all caught up on the systems. Expensive, though. I've bought five systems in the past year and a half (PS2, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Gamecube, and now the Xbox)--it'll be really nice not to have to buy a new one for the next couple of years.
-mwb-

Gary King

Second Unit
JSRF, Rallisport, Amped, THPS3, Silent Hill 2, and Project Gotham are already out. Some may not suit your tastes, but they're all good.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Actually, Brian, closer to $500. The UK Console at £299, + £44 for a game, + £22 for the AV pack comes to about £365, which is about $520US.

Ok, so X-Box owners, in my situation, could you justify the price I would have to pay for the machine, ONE game and the AV pack ($520)?

Dan

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Don't forget that second controller Dan, if its Halo you're after! Apparently the co-op play is where its at.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I still don't have 2nd controlers for my cube or PS2, so the second box pad isnt top of the list, until you're able to sneak out under the radar of your other half and pop on over to play it of course. :).... that's IF I buy a box.
Dan

paul h

Supporting Actor
If and when they come down to £250 i will get one, though i'm keeping a close eye on EBay :) and i'm always thinking about getting a US Box!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Paul, thought about asking Christian at Depot about one? Again, do the conversion and they pay a little under £200 for the console over there, and the games amount to abut £30 a title.

The thought has been on my mind recently maybe import, but I just can't help but think given its weight and size, no matter what one tries to do to avoid a hefty customs blow they will figure out what's what themselves...

Dan

PS: My bad on the AV Pack price, the RGB Scart cable with optical out for 5.1 is £19.99rrp (£17.99 at Amazon), not £22 as I thought. Maybe £22 was for the progressive scan hub which is of no use to me whatsoever.

The RGB scart/optical leads are in low supply by the look of it. Amazon are out, Game don't seem to say they're out of stock though... Hmmmm.....

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Brian, closer to $500. The UK Console at £299, + £44 for a game, + £22 for the AV pack comes to about £365, which is about $520US.
Ah, I thought the AV pack was more expensive than that - around the price of a game.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yeah I thought that prior to the consoles launch too, but the scart/optical version is £19.99 at Game and £17.99 at Amazon. Not a bad price actually...

The game prices still frustrate me. Cheapest I have seen X-Box games are £39 shipped from Play.com (with the occasional title for £35 and £37). Average sale price for all titles here is £44 ($62).

Dan

PS: The point of the 8mb memory unit is what exactly?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
If I suddenly aquire a fortune and buy an XBox, I could use that 8Mb card to bring my save games round. Other than that, its pretty useless, yes.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I just dipped into that Jet Set Radio Future thead over in gaming software...bad move.... Dan want's his JSR in 5.1. :laugh:
Dan

paul h

Supporting Actor
Dan, yep i've been in touch with Christian :) he's already sent one to a guy over here and the shipping was $60. So when you add that to the console it's £240ish, and any taxes that our lovely customs people decide to slap on top.
I'm tempted to try, if customs let it past then it's a good deal...of course there's the other £20 for a stepdown converter :frowning:
To be fair though apart from Halo there ain't many other games i really want at the moment.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't rate anyone's chances of avoiding customs charges. I bought a GameCube just before xmas as a present, and copped for VAT, which is going to add around £40 to the price of an imported xbox.

I imagine imported games would also attract charges since they're valued way over the limit for a single item.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ah it very much depends where you get you import consoles and games from, Steve. Some places are nice enough to er...fix, the invoice for you which helps lessen/avoid the customs blow. ;)
I'm wondering if I shouldn't really be comparing the UK price of the Box to the US/Canadian one, instead rather comparing it to the UK PS2 price and considering what extra you get for the money (the hard drive, the 5.1, the 4 joypad ports...etc).
Dan

paul h

Supporting Actor
Why justify it...hey if you really want one, and it sounds like you do, then if you can afford it get one now! What's another £400 on the old Cr card anyway :)
In fact think i've just talked myself into it too :D We're both gonna get one anyway so there's not much point waiting in the hope of saving £50.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I could save £30 odd with these HMV vouchers I have on games and accessories (you cant use them against consoles themselves). It'd mean having to go up to different counters of course since they don't allow more than one cupon per sale, but its worth going through for the saving.

Best one I have is a £20 off any £100 spent, SO that could help on the cost of a couple of games and the AV cable.

Dan

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The 8 MB memory card is for bringing data to a friend's house. Like fighting game character data.

Thats about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks