What's new

So how long do you give me til I buy an X-box? :-D (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
March 14th came fast... X-Box has been on sale here for some fifteen hours now, it's flashing "dispatches within 24 hours" at me right now over at Amazon but so far, I have yet to give in... :D
Dan

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Dan, using the Dolby 5.1 option to play HALO will make you break. Turning around and having the sounds of people and battle swirl around you is a REAL kick.

My main misgiving about the box is it feels almost like a great cheap PC. Both Halo and Max Payne are more akin to the PC than a console game, but are both great fun. Jet Set Radio Future is the only title I currently have that's a real console title. All these titles feature 5.1 sound that is a total blast.

The Official X-box magazine demos are in 5.1 too. I love my Gamecube, but really wish it had a "Magazine with Demos" option.

Bleddyn

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, I got this off of your site,

"New Job! Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2002 by Brian

Rose got herself a new job with Citigroup. Woohoo! "

I have worked for Citigroup for 4 yrs, give her some time and your tone will probably change :)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Agree with Brian, i'm tempted but not at that price...add a couple of games and there's £400!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Oh that I am well aware of. In fact we're looking at more than 400 as obviously HT folk like us will want the additional AV pack with the optical hook up for 5.1. Regardless, I still bloody well want one. :D
Dan

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Go for it, Dan, it's only money! What else would you do with it...squander it on food and a mortgage? :)
Besides, everyone here knows you Administrators make the big bucks...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Fair point on the cash - I'm here in the States, where the box is $299. Turning dollars into pounds for the UK price is not really a great deal!

Bleddyn

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'm expecting a price drop before Christmas, but with that PC, PS2, DC and Cube hanging around as it is, plus your surround processor needing fixing I'd say hold off until you've completed what you can already play!

Iain (who would really like enough spare time to do the same with the DC stuff on his shelf as well as his new PS2!)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
That'd be the logical route...but logic was never one of my strong points. I have a batch of HMV cupons that expire at the end of the month, I could use some of those against games and peripherals but even when I'd only save about £30.
Its expensive as hell in the UK, theres no argument there but Dan, buy one. You wont regret it. (You'll have all three of next gen consoles then:)=Gaming heaven)

Gary King

Second Unit
While all Xbox PAL games support full-screen 60Hz, I read that there's an issue involving progressive scan (issue = disabled/broken/?).

If progressive scan is important to you, you should probably import a US console and US games (which, all things considered, will probably cost roughly the same (maybe less) as a UK Xbox and UK games even after shipping fees).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Actually, I'd recommend (if you do get one at all) to go UK. Maybe its just me thats a cheapskate, but while price comparisons on brand new games make the US import option look pretty reasonable, you won't be able to do like I am with the PS2 and go round snapping up older (not even second-hand) titles at £15-£20 each. I'm an impulse buying gamer, so imports wouldn't really help me.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Gary, very few TVs in the UK will even take Progressive input sadly. What exactly is the issue with it on the UK model? I know outside the UK across the rest of Europe the -X-box does not even support progressive output, but here in England is is still meant to be a feature. I'd hope it is considering the price.
Iain, my friend, I absolutely agree with you that it's nice to do the impulse buying thing, pop down to HMV and get the latest and catalogue titles with ease. Of course, given that I have 9 PS2 games within the spcae of two months it could also be seen as a bit of a dangerous temptation. :D
It's tricky, I mean, I know by the end of the year I will have an X-Box, and I do agree that its likely to drop to 250 by Christmas. I'm just wondering if going to HMV next week and using all these vouchers I have against the cost of games and accessories would be better in getting the machine now and making a bit of a saving then holding out seven or so months and only making a saving of £10 or £20 more...
Dan

Gary King

Second Unit
Maybe you English blokes lucked out. I've just heard a few complaints from miscellaneous Europeans about the rushed removal of progressive scan compatibility from their PAL Xbox (apparently, the 480p option appears in the Dashboard, but the console will never output above 480i, and some games (DoA3) refuse to run when the option is enabled), and assumed it was true for all PAL Xboxen.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I don't believe the rest of Europe has a set standard for progressive scan yet, hence the option not being included. I'm certain the UK one has it.

Feedback from British buyers seems to be very strong about the console this week. I must say I find it incredibly funky that you set the console to 60hz so all games will run full screen/speed...etc. What's the deal of territorial lockout on the games for this thing?

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks