So how is Prince Of Persia The Warrior Within?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dean L, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Dying to get it, I loved last years The Sands Of Time, but I yet to find the Xbox version. Looks much darker in tone[​IMG]

2. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

It's been getting tepid reviews. Here's a great exerpt from GameSpy's assessment:

This is a trend I really despise in gaming (and films), the whole "dark, gritty, edgy, bad-ass" pandering to adolescent nihilism. I'm sure I would eat it up if were still 15, but the whole schtick has run its course.

3. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

But we don't matter. The 15s do. The sales for Sands were dismal. Giving it away with Splinter Cell barely helped. They had to try and make him "cool". Since I think UbiSoft kicks many kinds of tail, I hope it works.

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I loved the first 2 versions that I played on my first Mac.

Was delighted to see the XBOX version and I had great fun playing it.

I hope whoever wrote that review was just in a bad mood. The tv commercial makes it look like more of the first version. I hope so. Guess I'll wait to see more reviews ... and 'til it hits the $30 or so mark ....

5. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

All the reviews are saying the same thing. Basically, it's not as good as the first one, the "dark" theme hurts more than it helps, and a lot of the moves and taunts get old very quick. I don't mind making a game more mature by giving it a gritty edge, but as far as I can tell, Ubisoft went overboard with it, as well as changing the focus from a puzzle game with fighting to a fighting game with puzzles. I don't believe sales for SOT were "dismal", but I don't have any figures in front of me. If so, it could have been because it was spread over every platform imaginable, including PCs. But it was one of, if not the most popular games of the first half of the year.

I really liked SOT, partially because of the Prince's wisecracking and monologues. I was excited about this one, but after seeing some gameplay and hearing some independent (i.e. non-press) reviews, I'm not so sure. I'll give it a rent from a local store and see what I think.

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Jesse, please let us know what you think if you do ....

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

After reading the reviews, I think I'll give this one a pass for now. I really liked Sands of Time, but there are enough other games that I stil haven't finished that I can wait on this one. Maybe when I can get it sub $30... I know-I'll just buy KOTOR 2 instead!

8. Troy_M

Troy_M Stunt Coordinator

Guys, trust me...this game is awesome and just as fun as the first if not better. Listen to what the reviewers are saying? Their main issue is that they don't like the new theme and look.IMO? Who CARES! This game is GREAT. The story is great, the sound and graphics are awesome also. Wait until you get chased by the Dahaka...just plain awesome(reminds of Resident Evil 2). The moves and combos are so deep...you almost need a practice mode just to learn them all. I stopped playing GTA:SA and Halo 2 because I am having so much fun with this. The backtracking is not that bad at all. If you like good adventure games...go for it. This game is just as beautiful as the last game.

9. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I have recieved a copy of SOT for Christmas. (I figured I'd like to get the first in the series for starters.) And am having a blast!!! I really want the Warrior Within, and am glad this thread came about. Not too sure I can wait for it to hit the $30 mark!!

10. WilliamH

WilliamH Auditioning

SOT could of been alot longer, beat it in just under 10 hours, Warrior with In is alot more challenging and the monsters are more difficult to defeat since they can dodge and counter your attacks [​IMG]

11. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

I really enjoyed POP2WW very much, so much better than POPSOT. More gore, more combo moves, more weapons to pick up and throw at the enemies.

I finished the game with both the two different endings. The alternate ending has a different movie ending which actually shows the next sequel, POP3. Forget the reviews, see and play the game for yourself. For me, it is the best game I have ever played!!!

12. Peter-PP

Jerry Bruckheimer also bought the rights to the Prince of Persia franchise for the movie version for Disney. I wonder who they'll pick to play POP.

13. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

What I really liked about the Sands of Time was the main character's arc, his relationship with Farrah, the storybook atmosphere... I was NOT wishing for an idiotic cardboard hero, more combat, blood&guts, or "attitude". I have no doubt that Warrior Within plays like a dream (although apparently combat DOES eventually become repetitive, according to several independent reviews) but it doesn't really seem to contain the element that pushed it to my #1 game of 2003 (and kept it off the sales charts? how depressing), so I'm feeling like I can wait for a budget pricing.

s

14. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    RUN to the store to get this one! [​IMG]

Easily one of the three best of 2003.

15. DaveSarcevic

DaveSarcevic Agent

This is a very good game. Frustrating as hell at times, but it is pretty damn fun. Once you get the moves down, the game becomes even better.

16. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Got this one with a gift card after Christmas, and I agree, it's a lot of fun. Long, though. I feel like I've put at least 10 hours into it already and according to a walkthrough on-line, I'm less than halfway. I might even have played it more than 10 hours (though I just got it Friday).

I'm trying to finish it before the price drops so I can sell it. I don't have enough time to play games to justify keeping them; my game time for all of 2004 was basically just few hours of Mario Sunshine (still need to collect hundreds of blue coins for all the shines, grrr) until I got a PS2 and Rachet and Clank 3 for Christmas. I want to finish PoP so I can play through R&C:UYA.

From the "two endings" switch point, how long does it take to finish the game? Trying to decide how much effort to put into getting both endings.

17. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

PoP is still on my stack of "in progress" so by the time I get that done WW will have dropped anyway. The demo on the OXM game disc was pretty cool but I agree with some comments above that it seems to lack the particular qualities of the original.

Didn't realize a movie has been optioned. Interesting.

18. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Bought the game this weekend, till now i like it but I am stuck in the intial part of the game where i have to kill the Shahdee woman when shes trying to throw the Girl in Red down the pit. I managed to kill Shahdee 2 times but each time my health was left to the last possible level and whenever i try to cross the maze after that i get hit and killed.. very frustrating. Is there a way to kill that woman in black without being hit too much. I loose most of my life when that cut scene comes and she kicks after that.. i tried jumping away from her by pressing X but it doesnt help,nor does pressing Square helps.. she always manages to land a kick.. any suggestions on this? Thanks [​IMG]

19. Peter-PP

Just counterattack and stay away from her when she is in the attack mode especially when she turns around and kicks. Jump over her and slash slash slash. Don't forget to pick up a second weapon in the corner and sand as well by the stairs.

Find all the 9 life upgrades and the powerful Water Sword and you'll get the alternate ending with a different movie showing the next sequel POP3. The original ending is the toughest fight in the whole game and it took me more than 50 times before I finally succeeded. The final fight in the alternate ending was a piece of cake.

Wait til you get chased by Dahaka! That was the most frustrating parts of the game. Overall, for me, POP2 WW was more enjoyable than the SOT. GOOD LUCK!

20. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Cool! Will give it a shot again today evening.But what to do when that Cut scene comes and she kicks after that.. i always end up getting kicked by her..
    Still thanks for that message Peter, i loved SOT and couldnt stay away from the console before i finished it.. im hoping to have the same fun with WW too [​IMG]