So HOW bad is this Flu season?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Thomas, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

for the first time in my life, my mother called me up and told me to go get a Flu shot.

Throughout my entire life, I cannot remeber a time when I has the flu. I had sore throats, coughs, colds, appendicitis, but no flu's.

Anyway, I didnt bother getting because think I can breeze this saeason over like I did the last seasons.

But Is this season really bad?

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

i think that all of this hype is just another tabloid news item; like shark attacks, SARS and whatever other flavor the month.

3. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i'm sick and about 20 of my other friends...my school is pretty much deserted...i don't think it's hype.....

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Its really bad out here in Nevada. I think I am getting sick. [​IMG]

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

aren't the shots sold out?

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Yeah, as of yesterday. I was actually planning on getting one tomorrow, but now, not only are they out, I already got it. This is definitely not SARS.

7. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

I didn't get a Flu Shot and I was suffering for almost 4 weeks with the Flu. Think this was the worst one I've gone thru ?? [​IMG]

8. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

It leads the news every day here in Cleveland. I personally think it's just another "scare of the month". I would love to see some actual numbers that show historically just how bad this season actually is.

I had the chance to get a free flu shot a few weeks back and passed on it like I always do. Like George Carlin, I prefer to let my body's defenses get a workout every now and again.

-Brett.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

It doesn't look bad around here at all, but then again, people don't look that good the week before finals anyways...[​IMG]

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i agree that the news is blowing this up, must be a slow news week. but there are a few people dying, a kid from worcester state college died a couple days ago. i'm not sure if the flu deaths in other years go unreported because of other hews stories, but i'll try my best not to get it this year.

CJ

edit - brett, i just looked at your webpage, that's a hot car you have there, i'm quite jealous. and a friend of mine had an M Coupe, that car may look like a station wagon, but for a little car with a naturally aspirated motor, the thing hauled ASS.

11. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

What's causing the panic is the combined knowledge that not only is this Fujian flu strain more lethal than normal but that the current flu vaccine isn't even optimized to fight it. I'm not in any high risk category so I'm not worried about tracking down a less than optimal flu shot. What I'm dreading is the next four months of hysteric media coverage that does nothing but get people all upset over what will likely amount to just a bit worse than normal flu season. Tens of thousands of people die each and every year from the flu, this year will be no different except that the news media will be sure to recount all the grisly details for us.

12. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

oops, double post.

13. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

OK, so I did a little digging and wasn't able to find any info on how this year compares with a typical year. I did, however find this: Weekly activity map

According to this chart, Ohio is currently experiencing "sporadic" activity. If you listen to the local news reports, however, you'd think our activity would be somewhere between "widespread" and "we's all gonna DIE!!!".

Must be a slow news week...

-Brett.

PS - Christ, thanks for the kind words about the car! It really is a boatload of fun, but now that the snow's started flying it's time to tone down the driving habits...

14. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I'm one of those lucky people that when I do get the flu, it's usually mild on my body. Sucked when I was younger because I was never sick enough for my mom to let me stay home. But other friends I would have would be home puking their guts up. I actually never threw up in my life until I got to college, but that's wasn't because I had the flu.

I don't see how people die from this. They just do not take any medications at all and let their fever stay at 105 for a week and a half or something?

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

16. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I've been out all week with something, i assume was a dose of the flu.

The one CDC set of numbers I saw was just that normally at the first week of december X number of states report enough cases to be considered "Widespread"-- the number is usually low, for example i think last few years it has been zero or maybe one.

This year it was higher than average, 10-12 if I recall correctly (which would be a 10 fold increase obviously). That didn't mean total numbers were up for the season, rather that the number of states to report high activity came EARLIER in this year than normal. however, that MIGHT mean higher than normal numbers this year overall as well, especially if rates grow from current through march as they have the past few years...

Everyone is hitting their peak levels of last year right now, rather than Feb or March, as is the norm. Does this mean that numbers will clime higher in Feb/March? No one knows- it might just mean an earlier peak this season...

But it is interesting to look at the maps, and note how the week 48 data has differed...

For example, Week 48 2000:
    [​IMG]

Week 48 2001:
    [​IMG]

Week 48 last year:
    [​IMG]

Week 48 this year:
    [​IMG]

The CDC has tons of info on the situation, and is the source for many media reports. You can see this week's map breakdown and reports here: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

The funny part is that many of the "news stories" seems to be centered more on the run on vaccine than the flu itself, and one can only assume the run on vaccine was inspired by the news media and their presentation of the issue. So, in effect, the news is making the news, their influence creates a story. Interesting.

Also, most people I know who get the vaccine get sick within a day or two-- i wonder if vaccinated flu infections are counted in the overall numbers? If so, the increased number of vaccinations (in response to the increased cases) might actually influence the number of cases- creating an interesting cycle that benefits CNN and the companies that make the vaccines...

Although one could argue that the companies and regulation is to blame for the shortage anyway- as price fixing on the Vaccines has made them nearly not profitable to the producers, causing companies to produce less and less of the vaccines, causing shortages.

It is an interesting and complex world we live in. Lookout for the butterfly effect...

17. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

Journalists have missed the real story: influenza mortality rates have steadily risen despite rising vaccine coverage rates. This is most likely due to the rate of growth of the elderly population out pacing vaccine coverage rates, but is disconcerting nonetheless.

Taken as a whole, this flu season will probably not be as bad as is played up on some local news programs, but there are some facts that are noteworthy.

In Colorado, in addition to the high number of cases (see below) the story has been that all flu deaths thus far in the state (9) have been children. Also, the peak flu season is usually between January and March, but this year many areas are projected to hit their peaks much earlier. Denver has already hit its peak. Compare to last flu season, when Denver peaked in early February.

So far for the 2003-2004 flu season in Colorado, there have been 7,600 confirmed cases. Compare to 2,681 for 2002-2003; 3,558 for 2001-2002; 1,518 for 2000-2001; and 1,210 for 1999-2000.

Of course, these are just Colorado numbers, and I know in some places (like California) have not seen a marked change from previous years thus far.

References:
    http://www.infectiousdiseasenews.com/200303/flu.asp
    http://www.9news.com/storyfull.aspx?storyid=21744
    http://www.9news.com/storyfull.aspx?storyid=21865
    http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/release/2003/121003.html

-Mike

18. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I get the shot every year. People bitch and complain saying that they'll get sick if they get the shot. Well, you can get sick even if you get it but once the body builds up antibodies from the vaccine then you have at least partial protection against the most popular strains.

I always feel sh*tty for a day or two after getting a flu shot. This isn't the flu. It's the body reacting to the vaccine. Many people associate this kind of stuff as getting the flu.

Last year the flu hit my company like the bubonic plague and those that didn't get the shot were out sick for at least a week.

Jeff

19. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Mike....very interesting stuff you posted.

Everyone in my family and extended family is sick. Its awful. However, its not the flu, its a nasty virus going around. I'd throw up a lung if it meant my daughter got better though. The other day I found myself acting like Father (forgot name) in the Exorcist when he dared the demon to "come into me."
    I just wanted to take her illness.
    [​IMG]

20. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

For the first week of December, I had the flu. It was absolutely horrendous. It being the end of the university semester, I was desperately trying to attend classes and complete projects, but I barely survived. The fevers I had were absolutely killer; I couldn't stop shaking, sweating, coughing, sneezing and blowing my nose. Thankfully by the end of the week it was gone. And this only a few weeks after I came down with food poisoning! [​IMG]

A few days into my flu, my poor room mate came down with it as well, and barely made it out of bed for his lab exam that afternoon.