What's new

So honesty does pay...(aka Merry Belated Christmas to Me) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So yesterday I found a woman's wallet on the sidewalk outside of my apartment building. It had her ID in it but I didn't bother to memorize it. It also contained many credit cards (they were clearly visible, I didn't dig through it).

I turned it in to my landlord (a real straight, honest guy) thinking she lived in the building. Turns out she didn't, but our landlord said he'd take it to the police station right away (about 2 blocks away).

Well my landlord just knocked on my door and gave me a thank-you card from the woman. Inside was $100. She only initialed the card, so I can't find out her complete name. My landlord's not saying anything--not sure if he really doesn't know her name or is following instructions from her not to tell me--so I can't return the money.

My girlfriend and her brother were with me, so I gave him a 1/3 cut, and gave my girlfriend the remaining for a belated Christmas present. I had given her a gift certificate for a new purse, which came up short of the one she wanted, so I told her this would take it the rest of the way.

So what did I get out of it? I kept the card, it makes me feel good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On Saturday, I went to the drive-thru ATM and a lady was in front of me using it, while talking on the cell phone and taking her sweet time doing whatever it was that she was doing. She finally drives off. I roll up to the ATM, and discovered that she left her card in the ATM, and the ATM wanted to know if I wanted more time to make a transaction...I could have withdrawn the daily limit out of her bank account on the spot, but decided to just eject the card, rolled my car forward a little bit, and then I honked my horn to get the lady's attention as she was waiting to turn right onto a busy road, and finally she saw me waving her card at her and she backtracked to the ATM and I handed her the card. She was still yapping on the cell phone through all of this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's a great story - especially when you consider how many people had to do the honest thing in order for it to come to pass. Just when I thought "honest landlord" was an oxymoron...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great character Carlo and Patrick. Without going on a soapbox and all preachy, it's stuff like that makes the world a better place. I know that sounds cheezy but it's the small things that do make a difference.

Thanks for sharing that. :)

ROBtech

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
That's a good deal on your part.

Believe it or not, I once found a money clip at our holiday party that had about $600. Since there was no name, I put the word out that "If anybody lost something at the party" without giving any details. The owner was actually able to indentified it to me, so I gave it to him.

No reward for me, but I'd still do it again the same way.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I've found cards left in the ATM twice - once like Patrick mentioned above where I could have withdrawn money from the guy's account. In both cases the people had already driven off and I just returned the card to the bank the next day. One of the cards was even a VISA check card that could have been used to buy things online or whatever.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Character means everything.

About 18 months ago I was coming down a small hill into the Hamlet of Goodwood(North of Stouffville...like it matters) at about 8:15a.m.and I noticed what looked like a piece of thick corrugated packing cardboard(2" thick) sitting in the middle of the lanes I thought I'd better check it to make sure.

Sure enough it was a girls wallet, so I went to the address on the Id, and the house was getting torn down(or just falling apart:)) so I looked, and found, a business card to call. I ended up speaking the girl who said she left it on the top of her truck. I told her where to pick it. I was just expecting her to be relieved to get it back, I know how it feels to lose a wallet< but when I woke up there was a $30 gift card for Canadian Tire.

Did I expect anything? NO! Did it make me feel good to help OH YEah!

i TOO WOULD DO IT Again!

bRENT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks