What's new

So, has anyone seen any of the programming on MONSTERS channel yet? (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
I can't splurge for the upgrade at the moment, but this channel's programming is awfully tempting!
Yesterday was THE BOOGENS, TINTORERA and THE HEARSE in HiDef. Fills me with a kind of giddy, second hand joy to know that some of the smaller genre films will be making their way to HiDef channels.

Anyone seen MONSTERS? How nice do their film broadcasts look? Are there commercials, etc.?

And I noticed they were showing a few 40's films. Are these being presented tilt-n-scan 1.78 or windowboxed at the appropriate 1.37?

They don't seem to have their own website, butthe programming guide accessible through Voom (www.voom.com) the big HiDef packagerif you hunt around.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I really hope they aren't cropping or tilt and scanning their stuff, but I bet they are....it is going to happen more and more.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I know what pan and scan is, but this is the first time I've heard of tilt and scan. What is it?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It's when they take a movie or TV show intended to be seen in 4x3 ratio and either crop the top and bottom for widescreen or even vertically tilt and scan to try to keep vital action from being cropped out.

It's the opposite of panning and scanning, and it is going to be forced on you sooner than you think.

They already do this routinely in Europe, and the entire run of CHEERS has been so converted as well I am told. Even my local ABC affiliate does this with all their local programming on the digital channel!

Pre-1953 movies and decades worth of TV shows are going to look horrible unless this new abomination is stopped. All in the name of "filling the screen" at all costs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i still don't know why it's called tilt when nothing in the image is actually tilted.

anyway i would check out the monster channel but i won't pay $800 for voom.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Because the telecine operator sometimes shows you the top of the frame and crops out the bottom, but at others tilts down and crops the top out to show you the bottom.

Imagine the famous chocolate factory scene in I LOVE LUCY. If they didn't tilt and scan, the conveyor belt would be cropped out!

It is much easier if they'd just show them in the original ratio, and those few idiots out there who can't stand the fact that the screen has side bars could just watch something else.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Wanted to bump this thread back up...

So anyone have VOOM seen it yet?

And what is the native format of Monsters? 740P, 1080i?

If someone has VOOM, please check. Thanks!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks