So Felicity s2 is announced, but where is Once and Again s2?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Ulmer, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

DVDFile lists Felicity season 2 as announced now (has been listed on Amazon for a couple of months for July 22), but where the heck is season 2 of Once and Again? Felicity is okay, but I really want to see what happens in O&A!

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Me too...but unfortunately - even though I've kept a hot eye out for it - there has been no word yet of O&A S2. [​IMG]

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Me three.

Note that Lifetime shows O&A once a week, like Friday or Saturday near midnight. They're in the middle of the first season. If you really want to know what happens, I would tape it just in case.

But they really should release the remaining two seasons on DVD!

//Ken

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well, Bits has BV listings into September, and there is no mention of O&A season 2. [​IMG]

I hate having an incomplete collection of anything, so I may be rethinking my TV series purchases until I know I can get the whole series. Grrr

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Jeff, that's part of the problem. They don't continue releasing the seasons because of sales of previous seasons. If everyone waited for the commplete series of something then all we'd get is a whole bunch of shows with only the first season.

Along the way there are bound to be shows that don't get finished. I'd say that if you're a fan of the show then buy it, and tell everyone else you know to buy it as well. If everyone does that then sales should be strong and shows should be completed.

(This isn't directed towards anyone in particular)
    I'm also sick of consumers that think the studios owe us something, or are obligated to finish a show because they put out a season of it. Mary Tyler Moore is the best example I can think of. Sales of the first season weren't what Fox wanted and there isn't a release of the second season on the release schedule. I get tons of emails from fans telling me they're starting a petition to get the second season released. Hello...that's not going to work! Once the first season of a show is out it's the sales of that set that drive the release of the second set. Fans think that Fox owes them a second set. Honestly, how many people would go to work for free, or worse yet, how many people would pay their boss at the end of the day for letting them work? Fox isn't going to release a set that they break even on, or possibly lose money. It doesn't make sense.
    (sorry for the rant)

Gord

6. David Lambert

Another good example of what Gord says is The Larry Sanders Show. While Columbia isn't as forthcoming as Fox is with their sales information, all anecdotal evidence points to sales of TLSS Season 1 being lousy. The original SRP of $53.99 and the new SRP of $39.99 both seem to be high enough to scare folks away, despite Columbia continuing to advertise it even on releases from this week (Married...with Children Volume 2 has a "TV Classics" trailer that shows LOTS of scenes from TLSS).

Folks who continue to wonder where any show's S2 is, are fooling themselves it they think they can pressure the studio into knowingly losing money on subsequent releases.

Mary Tyler Moore Show *might* be a good exception to this rule, as it was insinuated that S2 is "in the can" and perhaps is ready to be released on DVD, and if Fox accepts the argument of fans that the show got better in subsequent seasons then perhaps they'll decide to give it another go.

But that's a big leap of faith for them to make, so don't count on it.

To bring this back on-topic, Once & Again is a Buena Vista (read: Disney) release, and they are even less forthcoming with sales info than Columbia. But the general feeling I saw from the 3 releases (Felicity/O&A/Sports Night) was that O&A was considered the least of the three. So perhaps sales have not warranted a continuation. SN needs no continuation; it's done. Felicity's continuation has been announced. O&A? It's anybody's guess, and I want it too. But I won't hold my breath!

7. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

"Once and Again" was one of the best dramas of the last few years. I was thrilled when season 1 came out last fall. Unfortunately, it came out the same day as "Sports Night", and I could only purchase one at the time...so I chose "Sports Night."

I have been thinking about the issue of "complete seasons" on DVD since participating in a thread on ST:TNG pricing.

People who collect DVDs tend to be completionists. I am no exception. I want the best and latest version of most any movie that I even remotely like.

I want to have the whole run of shows that I like, too. I, in many ways, want some sort of guarantee that the studios will release those discs and offer a predictable and timely schedule for that.

Unfortunately, that may not be realistic.

I was thrilled when "24" came out last September. I was amazed that it came out that fast.

In truth, a large part of why it was released was as a marketing ploy to get people interested in season 2. It wasn't necessarily because there was a large market for it, or that it was even necessary at that point. It was part of a marketing strategy, and it appears it worked.

Now, I hope that Season 2 comes out this summer/fall. I haven't heard one way or the other whether this will happen.

I also appreciated being able to get "The Shield" Season 1 on DVD this last winter. I would also hope that season 2 comes out in the same manner.

Really, though, it is pretty amazing the shows that have been released. Many aren't exactly the most "popular" or "mainstream" of shows. In many cases, they are niche shows with cult audiences.

Here is a list of popular shows (old and new) we have yet to see software for: Seinfeld, ER, The Cosby Show, Walker Texas Ranger, Coach, thirtysomething, Magnum P.I., Rockford Files, Battlestar Galactica, A-Team, Home Improvement, Scrubs, Smallville, The Wonder Years, Newhart, Miami Vice, etc.

And, we have this strategy that some studios have where they will release only the pilot episode/movie to begin with. Personally, I really really really want "Monk" and "The Dead Zone" in complete series sets. I also don't care for "best of" sets.

What can be disappointing is when we get in a situation where the first season is released as a "feeler" for whether additional seasons are warranted on DVD. That can be frustrating, especially for shows that are rarely seen in syndication.

If it is a matter of packaging costs being a problem, I would gladly take traditional dvd cases slapped in a cardboard case. I don't really need all the interesting packaging that is out there. Yeah, it can be cool, but it is not necessary. Ultimately, I don't think that is much of an issue.

I would imagine that Season 2 of "Once and Again" will come out. They are dealing with a loyal audience that will buy it regardless of when it is released...

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

9. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

Well my two cents on the subject is that studios should treat tv show releases no different then movie releases.

If a film bombs in the theaters it still makes it to video/dvd regardless of how many people are going to buy it or rent it.

I truly think that not having a guarantee that additional seasons will follow definitely hurts sales. Having 1 season of a tv series is no different than having 1/3 of a movie.

I seriously doubt any studio would be losing money on these releases. Even if there just breaking even I feel they DO owe it to the fans to release remaining seasons. Hell they have no problem blowing hundreds upon hundreds of million dollars on films that make nothing back so why should this stop them.

10. David Lambert

11. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Thank you so much for the info. This is why I come and read this site. Everyone is incredibly helpful and I enjoy the various views.

I am pretty pumped about "The Dead Zone" season 1 coming out.

12. David Lambert

Okay, the cat is out of the bag on a couple of the titles I mentioned. Sorry I had to talk outa my ass a bit; if I was the one who broke the story (and my promise) then I could count on never gettng told anything cool ever again.

13. David Lambert

Getting firmly back on topic now, I can add this to the "no Season 2" discussion:

In this DVDFile/Peter Bracke interview with DVD Producer Rob Meyer Burnett (X-Men 1.5, upcoming Valley Girl and The Two Towers releases), he mentioned this in talking about the vision of different studio personnel (3rd page of the interview):

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The fact that an all-time classic like The Mary Tyler Moore Show gets only one season out while a bunch of forgettable Johnny-come-lately 90s series get the whole enchilada is disappointing.

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

My impression from the last Fox chat was not that they were going to give up on MTM, but that they had to get the production costs down to a point where it made financial sense. I think MTM's biggest problem at retail was the price (I don't think that no reviews of the set helped either). Had it come out more in line with MASH I think it would have sold better, but even a few dollars one way or the other can make a huge difference in the number of units sold. Putting MTM against Simpsons or X-Files isn't realistic. Both those shows have devoted cult audiences. While MTM may have fans, it's not the same.

That said, WHERE IS SEASON 2 OF O&A?