So far not so good with new Anthem..help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisHeflen, Oct 10, 2002.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I just picked up an AVM20, hooked it up, and now my system sounds bright, anemic and seems to lack the dynamics I thought I had. For instance; drums sound like taps and lack any weight or tone. The vocalist, usually in the center, is now off to the left.
    The only thing I can think of is that I have my X-over set too high. With my old pre-pro, I had my mains set at large. Now I have them small and x'd-over @70hz and the sub x'd-over at @80. Am I losing the mid-bass because now my mains are now small and x'd-over higher? Would this relate to the loss in dynamics? When I use analog direct the weight seems to come back a bit. (I haven't had time to fiddle yet, because I had to go to bed.. in a blur of tears I might add).
    Did anybody else go through this? Is this sound the "right" sound and I have been a mis-guided young lad thinking my warmer sounding system is "right" all this time?

2. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson Agent

Having the crossover at 70 for the speakers and 80 for the sub should boost output between 70 and 80 rather than thin out the base. Did you use the test tones to balance the system?

You do not say what you replaced when you bought the Anthem but the sound difference between two pieces of decent equipment should not vary much in terms of frequency balance (here come the flames). Almost all of these pieces of equipment have frequency responses that are like rulers through the audible range.

You don't say what mode you are using but there have been some reports of problems when using DPL II movie. If this is the case simply change the mode and then go back.

3. ChrisHeflen

I used a spl meter with the test tones. I am just using the stereo mode and switching between analog dsp and direct.
    My old piece was a Pioneer Elite SP99D processor that has enough control to use as a basic pre-amp. I know it isn't state of the art but I really liked it. Elite's have a warm sound imo and I might be missing that, but things don't even sound right.
    Also I don't have the v 2.0, just the software right before.

4. Mark Dubeau

Mark Dubeau Stunt Coordinator

What amp and speakers are you using?

5. ChrisHeflen

I am using paradigm 7's, and a pw2200 for the sub. An ATI 1505 for an amp.

6. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Ahh...the convienences of buying from a local dealer.

Anyhow, perhaps you could contact Anthem's customer support line, if they have one.

7. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Chris,

This certainly does not sound like the typical AVM-20 experience, but sometimes this happens. Unrealistic expectations or mismatched components can be the cause. So can one or two new parameters that you are unaware of. Subwoofer placement may be another.

If you have not done much to set up your system, I would recommend restoring the factory defaults and see if that helps (menu #11). Also, what is the Bass Peak Level set at (menu #6)? I thought this was suppose to be primarily for LFE (.1) material, but it seemed to help our system when I changed this.

Make sure that the listener positions (menu #5) are set correctly. Look at the source equalization levels (menu #2) to make sure these are set to +0.0 dB. Also, check the audio input level (also menu #2) for the device you have hooked up (what is it? - if a turntable without a phono stage, that would lead to some problems).

Good luck!

Michael

8. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

i've heard or read somewhere that the anthem has internal phase control. you might try that and/or the phase control of your sub. if you had the mains set to large before and now have chosen to high pass them, you may have a phase problem that would sound as you described.

9. ChrisHeflen

When I brought the Anthem home, the first thing I did was set it to the factory defaults. I have all the equalizations set at zero. I think the phase and the sub postion might be a good idea. I listened to it very carefully for a little bit tonite (ton of stuff to do this week). It didn't seem to sound as bad. I didn't know that the sub doesn't play on analog direct. The light was on the whole time (sub)and there seemed to be alot of low end for just my 7's, but hey now I'm impressed. Can you make it play if you set it to "super" in that mode? (Just thought of that while typing). My bass peak is set in the low teens I think. Switching between direct and Dsp I noticed it sounded a little fuller direct. To me it sounds like I should look into Dave A's suggestion. Is anybody else running the ATI? Or Paradigms? I've read the ATI doesn't have that great of a low end. Maybe the Anthem is over kill in my system? Maybe I should of gotten a Bose system or a Ht in a box, that way I know everything matches and forget the High End. Maybe my toast won't fall peanut butter side down at breakfast tomorrow...

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Chris,
    My first comment is, sit down with the manual when you have the time and study it from front to back. Although it's not a complicated piece, there is a bunch of information in there that will guide you through many of your questions.
    Analog Direct:
    "No A/D conversion takes place. All digital signal processing such as bass, treble, mode and bass management are bypassed. Only volume, individual speaker level, balance and mute still function." Page 43 in the manual.
    To use "Super" mode, set the speakers to "Large" as that will provide that option.
    I have Paradigm Studio 100's connected to the Anthem and it sounds wonderful.
    Not sure about Bose and peanut butter. Maybe you should put the peanut butter on the toast, stick the slices to your ears and then listen to the Anthem/Paradigm. This way, it will probably sound just like Bose. That way you don't need to return the Anthem. [​IMG]

11. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

For proper LFE effects, be sure to use 'crunchy'

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

14. ChrisHeflen

First, thank you guys for all your help. I appreciate it a ton!
    I have set my bass peak level set to 9.
    As far as the vocal center thing I don't think it's as extreme as defective processor, I might need to re-input the distances. I might have moved the couch while I was trying to pick up my toast. Also I think "Camp" might be right about my amp. My Elite grear was very round and warm it might have evened out the ATI. After listening last nite I didn't find it overly bright. No sizzle or anything, but very dry and clear. I cranked it up and it still held together. I guess I need to try and figure out if I can live with it. I like it, but should I like it?
    My other new question is, in the manual, it says you can save different configurations for each setting (stereo, DD, ect...) How do I do that? In stereo I want to run large mains plus sub, but in DD DTS I want to use the cross over scenario. Can this be done? Do I have to go like I'm running DD and the enter the setup menu? and then do the same for FM, DTS...? I doesn't really say how to do this. All I could find was bass and treble settings for each.

Would a Parasound or Rotel be a better match?

15. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

16. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Chris,
    "My other new question is, in the manual, it says you can save different configurations for each setting (stereo, DD, ect...) How do I do that? In stereo I want to run large mains plus sub, but in DD DTS I want to use the cross over scenario. Can this be done?
    No, it can't. What is saved for each input (CD, DVD, etc.) is the DSP mode (stereo, DPL II, AnthemLogic, etc.) when the input mode is digital or analog-DSP. The crossovers are the same for all inputs, except when you select analog bypass mode, then the mains are large and the rest (including the sub) are off.
    "After listening last nite I didn't find it overly bright. No sizzle or anything, but very dry and clear. I cranked it up and it still held together. I guess I need to try and figure out if I can live with it. I like it, but should I like it?"
    There are some owners who have experienced a significant improvement in sound for several days after firing up their AVM-20s. Whether this is component break-in or owner break-in is subject to much debate, but this seems to be the experience of some.
    As far as should you like it, that's up to you. I would hate to keep a component that I felt didn't give me the sound I wanted (and I have experienced this before). [​IMG] Hopefully continued use and tweaking of the AVM-20 will achieve a level of pleasure for you, but if not, you may want to consider another processor (the B&K Ref50 comes to mind with its presets, which will allow a setup as you described in your comments above).
    Michael

17. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

18. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

FYI:

Sound and Vision has a review on the Anthem, Aragon and Sunfire pre-pro's in ther November issue. Just received it in the mail.

19. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Chris,
    I compared Parasound and ATI amps (both well broken in demo units) side by side in my home 3-4 years ago when looking for a multichannel amp to drive my Dynaudio Contour speakers. My room is 19' x 13' by 8-12' sloped ceiling with a couple openings.
    My impressions of the ATI 1505 and Parasound 1205A were:
    mid to high frequencies:
    ATI--> brittle and too dry for me, even a little harsh
    Parasound--> clear and detailed
    bass to mid-bass frequencies:
    ATI--> thin and a little sloppy (not as tight as I expected)
    Parasound--> tight controlled bass with impact
    The ATI definately looked better, but I liked the sound of the Parasound better IMHO. They were going for the same price from my dealer.

20. Joe e h

Joe e h Stunt Coordinator

Chris

I have a Anthem AVM-20 in my home. I have both Parasound and Rotel amps. I use the the Rotel RMB-1095 with the Anthem powering Polk Audio Speakers.

I tried the Parasound one day just to see how it was. I have to admit the power between the 2 are different the Parasound is a HCA-885, about half the Rotel power. However I found the Rotel to have a better sound to my ears.

My mains are older Polks SDA-2 models. They were from the era when Polk made good speakers and not the mass produced crap they make now.

I also tried a B&K amp but did not like it.

Joe