So Ed?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steven_E_S, May 29, 2004.

1. Steven_E_S

Steven_E_S Auditioning

Just wondering Ed how the your review of the PB2 Ultra is coming? Looking very forward to reading it. Still waiting on mine.
    Thx
    Steve

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Sorry the PB2-Ultra gestation period is taking longer than I anticipated; there have been unanticipated events at work/home that have demanded a great deal of my time recently.

On a good note, I just finished time stamps on ROTK last night - wow - some super deep stuff in that movie. I was running the 20 Hz tune and those two open ports were moving a serious amount of air on a few scenes, indicating truly deep signal content. Frodo's 20 Hz heartbeat (see Rudi's Bass Archives waterfall) at Mount Doom stood out in particular. Talk about a built-in hair dryer! [​IMG]

3. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Ed - We watched it last night with the B4+ ... it is amazing... and you are right, that heartbeat .... yikes !

oh... Ed, you also have a PM...

4. Steven_E_S

Steven_E_S Auditioning

Thanks Ed,
    Hope your unexpected events at home are going well. BTW my main use for the PB2 Ultra will be 2 channel stereo complimenting Klipsch Khorns. The Khorns are about -10db @25hz measured with Rat Shack meter. Room size is 28'x15'x7'6". Do you have a recommendation for tuneing. 20Hz vs 25Hz? I'll be experimenting anyway but just wonder what you recomend. You seem to know quite abit about these things.
    Thx again,
    Steve

5. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Steve - I am running a pair of Belles in our theater room. It is 25x24x9.5 feet. Our B4+ works great in the 20 Hz mode there.

And in our Basement two channel room, up until 4 weeks ago I ran a PB2+ with a pair of Klipschorns and a McIntosh MA-6900 Integrated. The Mac has an extra set of pre-outs, so I ran those into the PB2+ with the crossover at 40 Hz and ran the Klpisch at Full range...

It was great... very musical.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

My definite preference is the 25 Hz tune for music. To my ears, the bass lines are easier to follow, and the sub breathes easiest and has the most effortless feel with all ports open. Hard to describe; easy to hear. It will be a fabulous match for the K-Horns.

For movies - usually the 25 Hz tune, because I've got lots of room gain and I get to 20 Hz no problems in the stock tune. I've been experimenting with the 20 Hz tune more lately, and I must say it's awesome with certain movies which have true infrasonic content. In the 20 Hz tune, the PB2-Ultra gets to 15 Hz easily in my room, where it is still above the average 30-100 Hz level. [​IMG]

7. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Ed- You have inspired me... This afternoon I am going to try the B4+ all ports open, 25 Hz mode, and try some two channel stuff with the Belles run Full range...

Steve... This is fun stuff...

8. Steven_E_S

Steven_E_S Auditioning

Thanks both Ed & Craig,
    Craig I originally had a pair of Belles I bought new in '76. I loved those Belles but I traded them for my Khorns with a Klipsch forum member who wanted Belles as centers in his HT and I always wanted Khorns but couldn't afford them in '76. He had 7 pairs of Khorns. Anyway, if I had thought of a sub before trading I would still have those Belles. I'm very happy with the Khorns which are '71's but with my room they have some bad freq responces that I'm hopeing the PB2 Ultra will take care of. I'm going to be setup basically like you are in your 2 channel setup. I'll be using the second pre-outs on my McIntosh C40. My amp is a McIntosh MC352 and you responce on your setup in your 2 channel is pretty much like I have planned on setting up my sub. Can you give me any hints to better set this up or has what you already said about it?
    Due to problems SVS has had getting wood etc I have been waiting well over a month to get this sub and I have to say I am getting quite excited about it. Sure hope it ships soon.
    Thanks once more,
    Steve

9. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Steve... Make sure you have the Ultra in Phase with the Klipsch... cannot think of much else now... just be ready for good music !