So, do you still need a subwoofer with Maggies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I just started looking at Magnepans. They sound interesting. I'm going to go and get a listen down the street at my local dealer. Hmm... I don't have a clue about how the configuration would end up though. Do you need a subwoofer still?
    I'm starting to look into moving into a larger house. Maybe I'll be upgrading more than just my TV. :-D

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

IMO, depends on which Maggies you get. If you've gone through the reviews on audioreview.com, you'll know that lots of people use subs with Magnepan speakers. You might also want to check out www.audioasylum.com because they have an entire forum dedicated to planar speakers, lots of Maggie owners hang out there.

3. Bill Bradstreet

Thanks! The more research I do the longer it'll be until I spend the dough. I guess I need to buy the house first. ;-)
    www.audioasylum.com here I come.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

You're welcome. Good luck with your search, I have Maggies somewhere on my roadmap too.

5. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

The maggies has decent bass, but will bottom out at higher SPL.
    When using subs with maggies, the hardest part is the integration between the two. Hearing maggies, it does not have the punch in your face slam of dynamic speakers, but more of an effortless envelopment. Selecting a sub purely for its slam factor will cause the sub and maggies to mismatch. Also, you would have to cross to the sub at alot lower freq than the usual 80-100hz that pre/procs usually has as default, probably 40-50hz, depending on which maggie you have. You do not want to have the punch of the dynamic subs, just its oomph at the lowest freq.
    There is other talk of the type of sub, since maggies are dipoles, the seamless way to integrate a sub would be to have a dipole sub.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

As said above it depends entirely on which maggies you get. Obviously the smaller models require a sub for HT but then almost all speakers do. Integrating subs with maggies isn't as hard as some people make it out to be. Just remember that bloated boomy bass that is so common in many cheaper comercial sub isn't going to sound as clean as the bass you're getting from the maggies. So just pick a well made sub, cross it over at a decent point and calibrate it properly and it will be fine. I've got a full maggie HT if you're interested in seeing what they can look like (link below)
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

7. Bill Bradstreet

Thanks... I was curious how far back the rears should be from the main sweet spot. I'm not sure what room I'll be putting my HT in for the next house, so I hope I'll have some flexibility.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Bill mine are about 5 feet from the centre of the couch and a couple of feet out from the rear wall. They could do with going back another couple of feet but they actually work pretty well as is. Acutally truth be told I think the maggies in the rear are some of the best I've heard for recreating a deep and believeable soundfield
    ------------------

9. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

Maggies have a very unique and often wonderful sound. They can certainly benefit from a good subwoofer or pair of subs. It is important to use a sub of very high quality. The transition should be seamless and not noticeable. The two subs that are usually recommended for the job are the various RELs and the ACI Titan II LE. I've heard that a pair of Titan II LEs with Maggies is a killer combo. I own a pair of the II LEs myself used with ACI Jaguars and I can vouch for the quality of the bass.

10. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

I'm running a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq's with Maggie 3.6's in a 2-channel system, and a REL with 1.6's in a home theater. I prefer the Vandersteen over the REL for music, and the REL over the CVandy for HT.
    ------------------
    Q

11. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

My advice is:
    If you're gonna buy Maggies you'll have to get 5 of them.
    I tried to use a pair of 1.5QR's as L+R and also as centers w/ JBL 4412's and 4410's. They (Maggies) do not match up well with "cone" speakers, hard to balance. The Mags are 4ohm and maybe too tough on a reciever. Like someone mentioned, they don't have that dynamic slam about them, sorry rock-n-roll speakers, but WONDERFUL for Jazz, and yes you will need a sub for HT application, 100hz. and lower, just make sure you can adjust the sub vol. to match the Mags. The sub will easily overpower the Mags.I bought 2 Optimus subs and put the Mags on top, and had to lower the subs output to match the gutless Mags but when you get it right it's OK.
    I haven't heard a total planer HT system yet, but I've had visions of bolting 4 of the smaller one's ($500pr.) on top of each other and wiring them for 8ohms but I didn't get around to it.
    My current setup is:
    Toshiba 50H81
    Adcom GTP-555 preamp
    Adcom GFA-7000 5ch. amp
    Adcom GFA-555 2ch. amp
    2 JBL 4312 L+R
    2 JBL 4410 Rears
    2 DCM C-07 Centers
    2 Optimus 12" subs (w/ internal crossovers bypassed, using the preamps 80hz xover)
    3 2ch. Aural Exciters w/ BigBottom, what a difference, maybe because I'm 51 and don't hear as well as I used to.
    Your room will also have a big effect the Maggies, in my old house with low flat cielings they were crap, but in the new house with high cielings they were really nice.
    The Mags are now in the bedroom w/ Phase Linear 200w per ch., Sansui AU-9900 in stereo w/ TV.
    I guess I need to hear a "total" Maggie system, I just wouldn't try to mix em up. (Maggies and cones that is)

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Some people have had some success getting a centre channel using cone drivers to sound ok with the maggies but I wasn't truely happy till I used a single MMG.
    Some of the comments above about the maggies lacking "slam" bug be a bit mainly b/c likely what the person was used to hearing was bloated bass not ture bass. I've yet to hear a kick drum sound more real then from a large maggie speaker. For the real low bass yes a LFE sub is great but for most music they aren't needed...esp if they are boosted or placed where they'll sound boomy. Now for the smaller MMG type maggies obviously a properly integrated sub will be required.
    ------------------

13. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

>Some of the comments above about the maggies lacking "slam" bug be a bit mainly b/c likely what the person was used to hearing was bloated bass not ture bass. I've yet to hear a kick drum sound more real then from a large maggie speaker.
    Andrew,
    I think you're right about a "kick drum" sounding more real from a "large" maggie, but 1.5QR, MMG, SGM etc. are small planers and are easily overloaded by kickdrums and low solid bass. I wish I could afford the biguns but then I'd have to hear the eletrostaics from Martin Logan etc. My whole perception of stereo equip. was ruined when I heard a Krell, Martin Logan stereo setup valued at $100,000. Should have never walked into "that" room.:)
    My main point was not to mix em up. It's true I've been listening to JBL's for a long time and I did dump a pair of L7's for the Maggies, because at the time I started listening to contempary/traditional Jazz and the Mags are great for that style of music. I'm just "underfunded" for the good stuff.. :)

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

while your right re bottoming out the "smaller" (thats relative [​IMG]) maggies some of the blame might be in the amp not the speaker. I have 1.4's as my mains and I used to bottom them out with some tracks when I was using my HK 5800 5 channel amp to power them. I've since purchased a more powerful (and controled) amp and with this amp I've yet to bottom out the 1.4's. Thats not to say they have way more bass now but just that sometimes the answer isn't as obvious as it might seem
    ------------------

15. Bill Bradstreet

Thanks... this has been great information!

16. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Ain't that the truth, Andrew.
    Bill, let us know what you decide on.

17. Bill Bradstreet

You bet. I have quite a few decisions to make.
    Non-audio/video related though.