What's new

So Disney is getting their grubby fingers on the muppets (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Disney has had their grubby fingers on the Muppets since the early 90's. Don't you remember Jim Henson standing on that podium with Mickey Mouse shortly before his death, partnering with the Mouse House to produce theme-park attractions and new movies? Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets From Space -- all distributed by Disney.

MuppetVision 3*D is one of the highlights of Walt Disney World, in my opinion.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Muppets From Space was distriubted by Columbia. Disney had an agreement to buy Henson Associates about ten years ago, but one of the points was an exclusive contract with Henson himself, and he died while the deal was going through.

The Hensons must really need the money, though - they're keeping the Creature Shop, Fraggle Rock, Farscape... everything but the Muppet characters and Bear In The Big Blue House.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Will Disney buy Frank Oz next?

(imagines Disney exec looking at lifeless puppet of Miss Piggy)

DISNEY EXEC
Hey, this puppet isn't doing anything.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Yup. I visited Disney/MGM Studios in Orlando in '98, and there was a "Muppet Show" attraction/show.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

This is the Henson's family doing all along since they repurchased the rights to these characters last year from EM.TV. They want these characters to fourish and live in perpetuity. Both parties benefit from this agreement.

~Edwin

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'm taking my 3 year old niece to Disney World in April and I bought her The Muppet Movie on DVD for Valentine's Day, just so that she can learn who Kermit and Miss Piggy and Fozzie and Scooter and Gonzo are (she knows the Sesame Street characters, not the classic muppet comedians).

I can't wait to see what her reaction will be to the 3-D Muppet Attraction at Disney/MGM.

And just on a side note, The Muppet Movie is great. The DVD is a little washed out, but the movie still works.

STEVE MARTIN
(as waiter, opening a bottle of extremely cheap wine)
Would you like to smell the bottlecap?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ernest
Since you are in Hollywood I just wanted to point out that
Disney's California Adventures has the same Muppet 3-D attraction that is in Florida. They have had it there since the park opened in 2001.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The Henson family is very happy and excited about this agreement. The Muppet characters appear to be just floundering under the ownership of EM.TV. This will give new life to the entire franchise.

From Variety:

A definite win-win for both companies.

~Edwin

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
re: MuppetVision at California Adventure...

I know the attraction is also at California Adventure, but I'm taking my niece to WDW, not Disneyland Park. We're staying on property, for a four day trip before heading out to see other sites in Florida.

I don't know why, but I have a suspicion she's going to like playing on the beach and seeing the ocean more than being brain-fried by Disney/MGM, Animal Kingdom, and the Magic Kingdom. She should love The Living Seas at EPCOT, MuppetVision at Disney/MGM, and Ariel's Grotto at the Magic Kingdom. As a birthday gift, I gave her my entire VHS Disney library, which should take her a few years to go through. She's become a serious Cinderella fanatic, and meeting her "in person" is all she thinks about when we discuss WDW.

I've been trying to get her excited about other things at the Magic Kingdom. I asked her if she wanted to ride the teacups, and she said, "You go ride the teacups, I'm going to see Cinderella."

:)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ok Ernest and I can't blame you for being excited about WDW. I have lived in Southern Cal. my whole life and have been to Disneyland more times than I could ever count. I finally made it to WDW in 2001 and have wanted to go again ever since. Definately a much different and larger experience and I preferred it to Disneyland by quite a large margin. Have fun.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know how this development affects distribution rights of Muppet TV shows and movies?

I, for one, would love to see season sets of the original Muppet Show, along with widescreen versions of Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island. The lack of widescreen versions of these two films is what really has me fearing for the state of Muppetdom at this news.

Oh, right, and Hammer fans represent! :D

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
I don't associate Muppets with Disney. Not their creation. They might own the rights but it's not Disney. It would be as if Pixar bought the rights to "Looney Tunes". It might have the Pixar name but it would always be Warner.

"The legendary Muppet brand has now joined forces with Disney to usher in a new generation of Muppet fans."

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Well, I doubt we'll see "Disney's Muppets"...we'll see "Walt Disney Pictures presents Muppets on Ice" or whatever.

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
Anybody remeber the Wonderful World of Disney episode with "The Muppets at Walt Disney World".
Where the whole gang went to all three parks. Charles Grodin(SP?) was playing a security guard chasing Kermit

I think the Muppets are in capable hands with Disney and I expect them to retain an identity unto themselves. Actually upon my last visit to Disney/MGM in 1997 I saw the Muppets attraction and figured they had already acquired them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks