What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

So did anyone watch the MTV Movie Awards? (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
for WillG - This is sort of word for word. Moore mumbled a few times between sentences, but here it is.

After the award for the best action sequence was handed out by Jessica Biel and The Rock, since Peter Jackson wasn't there, the acceptance speech was short.

The Rock - "Hold on. We actually left 30 seconds for Peter's acceptance spech, minus the 15 that you just took, so does anyone here have anything to say?"

Moore shows up on a screen

Moore: "Hey, I'll say something. Hello, Hi. It's Michael Moore. Go see my new movie, Fahrenheit 9/11. It's coming out. I know you've heard a lot aboout it. It's got car chases and big explosions and love scenes out in the Rose Garden behind the White House. You know, it's the perfect summer movie. I don't know why that guy in the White House is worried aboout it. So go see it. And enjoy the rest of the show and don't forget to vote in November. Please. Thank you!"

I was ready to cringe when he showed but I ended up cracking up about the car chases and such. I am sure that it was all arranged, but it came out pretty good. Notice that he didn't support anyone, but just pleaded to get out there and vote, and there's nothing wrong with that, and everything right.

Glenn

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think it was a very poor choice of words to characterize a film having to do with 9/11 as having "Big Explosions." in a jovial manner. Even as a joke.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The only time I want to see Moore interupt a LOTR bit is like the bit during the Oscars with Moore talking and an Elephant stepping on him. Now that was funny. :D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i agree. in reading this thread, i didnt realize he was referring to THOSE explosions. i'm all for shameless plugs by anyone, but none like those.

CJ

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You don't really know what explosions he was referring to. What about the car chases? As there weren't any on 9/11, I put the explosions in the same context as the car chases - meaning he was referring to his movie, and probably making fun of it.

I am sure he wasn't making fun of the real 9/11. If he thought that was a joke then he wouldn't have made the movie, would he?

Gee guys, lighten up!

Glenn

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I know he didn't mean anything by it, but he should have been a bit more mindful in his descriptions. It put up a red flag for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Rule #1 - If the entire production company thinks that putting a midget in makeup inside a cage center stage, peering at the audience during acceptance speechs is a good idea

Fire the entire production company!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I caught this on saturday morning. Worst MTV Movie Awards ever. Worst MTV Movie Awrads Host ever. The midget demon is something I would have kicked if I was one of the people winning an award. MTV Movie Awards used to be so good, but they now keep getting worse with each year.

I think the Movie Awards show hosted by Michael Myers was the last great MTV Movie Awards show (the Austin powers skits were great), then they started to suck after that (and it didn't help when they did away with the Lifetime Acheivement Award).

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
I gave up on the MTV Movie Awards many years ago after they gave Alicia Silverstone at least 2 or 3 fucking awards for that godawful crap called The Crush(?!) In the years since, I've come to see the show as it truly is, NOT a real "awards" show selected thru democratic process, but more likely the MTV execs taking it upon themselves to anoint someone as the "next big thing", as opposed to giving the award to whoever actually got the most votes. I mean, do you ever notice that ONLY the winners are the ones actually in attendance?? Hint: That's because they ALREADY know they've won well in advance and are probably getting paid for their acceptance speech/comedy bit. In the end, the show is an embarassment and SHOULD NOT be taken seriously by a true movie fan. You wanna see a great show? Try digging out the first one ever from 1992. Dennis Miller made an AWESOME host and the awards themselves were actually treated somewhat seriously. If they had continued down that path the show might have actually been as respectable as the American Music Awards!! :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I have a bit of an opposing viewpoint here. I think it is the opposite that is true. The show used to be something that was not supposed to be taken seriously. It was a satire of the traditional awards show. It gave out awards to films in categories that were not recognized by the Academy. The difference between now and then is that back then these awards were built around a comedy show. Somewhere between now and then, MTV started believing their own hype and now produce the show as a serious awards ceremony. Sure they provide some comedy, but the difference now is that element has seriously taken a back seat in favor of appearing "hip"

Look at the hosts in the first few years. Dennis Miller, Eddie Murphy, Jon Lovitz. People who truly are professional comedians. In the cases of Miller and Lovitz, they are not staples of "cool" for MTV standards but we got them anyway because the show was supposed to be about the comedy. Now we get flavors of the month such as Lindsey Lohan, Seann William Scott and Justin Timberlake.

Back then we got many more comedy vingettes such as the William Shattner bits and lifetime honorees such as Jason Voorhees and Clint Howard to name a couple. It's just not what it was anymore and they should really look back to those first few years.

I think MTV is probably the most corrupt, soul-less entity anywhere on television. I do really imagine that it is a leading factor for the degredation on young people today.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

This isn't a secret- they've openly acknowledged for years that they inform the winners in advance. That the winners are informed ahead of time doesn't exclude in any way the possibility that the wins are the results of actual votes.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I just dug up my copy of the 96 awards. I forgot how great the Movie spoof bits were, especially the Shatner in Seven bits. The lifetime achievement award presented to Godzilla... Stiller and Garafolo... all classic.

I just dumped it onto DVD-R so it can live a little longer in my collection.:D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finally watched my recording of it and scanned to the parts people mentioned. Lohan's dance was mediocre; the outfit she had on not particularly flattering for her figure. Overall, like most of you have stated, pretty lame. Didn't take long for me to wipe that from the Replay!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finally watched my recording of it and scanned to the parts people mentioned. Lohan's dance was mediocre; the outfit she had on not particularly flattering for her figure. Overall, like most of you have stated, pretty lame. Didn't take long for me to wipe that from the Replay!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I think Lohan could have done better with better material. She really does have some talent; if you watch her actual performances, she's a pretty solid actress.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I think Lohan could have done better with better material. She really does have some talent; if you watch her actual performances, she's a pretty solid actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PSYLNT2UHD
Recent bookmarks