What's new

So did anyone watch the MTV Movie Awards? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I know, I know...but every once in a while there's something funny on it.

At any rate, this year's show was pretty pathetic, even by MTV standards. There were a few moments that were kind of funny, but most of it was just...well, desperately trying to be funny. And even not trying, at times.

I thought the Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughan/Peter Jackson bit at the beginning was amusing for a minute, but it got old very quickly. The 3-way calling bit with Lindsay Lohan was kind of funny, and I liked the Kill Bill trailer parody. But that was about it.

It was nice that Return of the King won Best Movie and Best Action Sequence, but...Michael Moore. :confused: :confused: :confused: What in the hell was that?! Was this supposed to be funny? I usually try to cut Moore a little slack, but that was ridiculous.

I know it's not exactly news that the MTV Movie Awards don't mean anything (that was the point from the beginning, actually), but the show usually turns out to be somewhat entertaining, at least. Even though a lot of the jokes fall flat, there have been some pretty hilarious moments before. This year's show was just lame, even compared to previous years.

And that's pretty bad.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Not that it saved the show or anything, but Jimmy Fallon offering himself as evidence that white people can dance was pretty funny, as was Sean William Scott's subsequent unblinkingly ironic acceptance speech for best dance sequence.

Regards,

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I couldn't watch it because the sound mix was so dreadful. Instead of using the actual microphones on stage, it seems they used on microphone out in the middle of the auditorium to capture all of the sound, making for this horrible echo. Top that off with MTV's insistence on using some faux 'surround' added to the stereo and I couldn't understand one thing anyone said.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I did not see the show but I checked out who the winners. It actually seemed as if there were some good choices this year instead of the Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey virtual automatic wins.

What happened with Michael Moore?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I liked the Ron Burgendy bits, the opening with Peter Jackson, and the Beastie Boys. Other than that, a total bore. I still have the 95 movie awards on tape, now that was a show.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Luckily for me I TiVo'd it. So I can skip to the 2 semi-funny moments everyone is talking about. :D

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
It was kind of perversely satisfying to see the Lyndsey Lohan juggernaut slowed a bit by some of the most God awful dancing I've ever seen. It was like Elaine Bennis cameoing in a Christina Aguilera video.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Definitely the worst MTV movie awards ever. Probably won't watch again. None of the bits were funny. The canned banter was even worse than usual. And the shameless plug by Moore was vomit-inducing.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a fan of Lindsay Lohan so most of her stuff I liked. The LOTR bit was funny but dragged on far too long. But the part I liked best were the intro for each award, like for Breakthrough Female they had the deadbody then a women came out of his body! I loved all those, I thought it would make a cool little film with the woman with spilt presonalitys talking into the mirror about killing the person in the bath behind her.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I missed it, what was the beginning movie spoof?

My previous fav's: Matrix Reloaded ("Wet Willy Mr. Timberlake?", "Ergo Shut your mouth!"), Fellowship of the Rings ("Yup, I got it turned into a prince albert"), and the all-Shatner Se7en ("Whats in the F@cking box?" "Hey Mr.Tamborine Man!")

Peter Miller

Agent

Wait, only Moore's shameless plug was vomit-inducing? What about EVERY OTHER CELEBRITY who appeared on the show? Did anyone who presented an award not plug something?

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Very true. Also, am I the only one who was hoping that was the absolute last time I would be subjected to Jimmy Fallon again? The very sight of him irritates me. He's like that idiot we all had in class in elementary school who would do absolutly anything for attention, no matter how damn stupid he ended up looking and how unfunny it was.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
There was no beginning movie spoof. It had Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller acting as movie execs trying to convince Peter Jackson to do a sequel to the LoTR trilogy, with suggestions like "Return of the Kings [of Comedy]" with Bernie Mac, or unambiguously gay "Sam and Frodo". It ran too long.

I don't have much of an opinion on the opening dance number, because they way they cut it, I couldn't see a damn thing. But the three-way calling bit was OK, as was the Kill Bill thing (although Andy Dick -- I don't need to see more of him).

When LoTR won best picture, Peter Jackson wasn't there to receive the award. (Dominic Monaghan, who plays Merry, did run up to grab it though.) But it looks like they were prepared and ran a Michael Moore bit, where he plugged his new movie and told everyone to vote in November. Moore is shameless but at least [insert partisan political statement here]

I recorded it and fast forwarded through the show. If something catches my eye, I'll stop and take a look.

Everyone at these shows is plugging something. No one over 21 shows up for the crappy award, or gives a rats ass if they win or lose.

The only thing I enjoyed was the Andy Dick sketch with his assistant. For some reason, I got a kick out of the bitch slaps he kept dishing out. I'll also confess to LMAO in the ass-shaving sequence. :D

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Thats teriffic stuff. Thats from the 96 awards I mentioned still having on tape. That whole show, especially the movie spoofs are absolutley hilarious. And youre right, the Se7en bit with Shatner is classic. The Seven Platimum DVD almost feels incomplete without it. Well... almost.;)

I should dump that sorry old tape onto DVD-R.:D

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Actually it was for the Action Sequence award, but still, as I said, it was ridiculous. I kept waiting for a punchline or something, but it really was just, "Hey, go see my movie." Nothing wrong with promoting your work, but once again, wrong place, wrong time.

The '95 (or '96, however you look at it :) ) show was indeed great. I loved the Shatner Seven and Braveheart starring Bob Newheart. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure it was MTV who approached him about the whole thing. I'm sure MTV wants people to go see his film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks