What's new

So confused - Plasma vs CRT vs LCD? (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I have a nine-year-old Sony 32" TV in my living room, the oldest piece of an otherwise nice setup. I just got an HD DVR from Comcast, and I'm considering replacing my display, finally.

I'm sure there are other threads, but if you can help me - great!

I'm considering a Sony KD34XBR970 34" CRT, or a Panasonic TH37PX60U 37" plasma. While at the store, a salesman says he prefers LCD. Whatever. I'm leaning toward the Sony 34" HDTV, because the most important concern for me is picture quality (SD, HD and DVD). My viewing distance is about 8 feet. I'll probably connect everything via component cable to my Onkyo TX-SR703, since neither the 703 nor my Comcast 3214 has HDMI. Fine with me, I'm using S-video now.

Is the Sony a good way to go vs. the Panasonic plasma? Space and weight is not a hinderance to me. I can actually hide most of the bulk.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
CRT is probably still the most reliable so long as you don't mistreat them, i.e., exposure to constant sunlight, brightness or contrast set to high, or making them display still images for long periods of time.

With CRT you get great picture with DVD's and very good black levels.

LCD's are very bright with high contrast, intense colors. I think they look great with HD signals, but don't look very good with DVD's. You also could have issues with their prices or dead pixels.

Plasma's are moving right along having the best of LCD and CRT with just not to the extremes that CRT or LCD.

CRT's are cheap but phasing out because of cost to manufacture.

If you even upgrade to something with component I think you will be impressed.

Seth=L

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Joe

What would make this a tough call for me is the impact factor. Yes, the Sony CRT will still give you the best picture quality compared to plasma, but the impact of the 37 inch screen shouldn't be dismissed either. The difference amounts to 18% more screen area for the 37.

I agree with everything Seth said.

My personal experience having Comcast HD, is that I still watch a fair amount of 4:3 content. With 4:3 material, your 32 inch Sony has 33% more screen area than the 34 inch XBR970.

Go here to make the comparisons yourself:

Link Removed

In sum, if you watch much SD material, the 37 inch plasma might be worthwhile.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am supremely happy with last year's KD-34XBR960. Limited to an apartment in Los Angeles, I find the size perfect for the environment.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. Does anyone know the resolution of the 34XBR970? All I can find is 1080i. Is there an x/y resolution, similar to how LCD or plasmas are?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

CRt sets don't really have resolution specs like that. The Sony Tube has been tested to pass about 1400 lines of horizontal resolution.

Whether you will see that from a viewing distance of 6 feet is doubtful.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread