What's new

So close to giving up on SACD and DVD-A (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
FeisalK said:

I've noticed this too.

All my discs automatically play the surround tracks so the only time I mess with menus is when I want to see a video or other bonus material.

For me music is an experience, a trip into some other person's mind to check out their ideas on life, or to experience particular emotions brought about by an artist's use of different sounds/melodies. So it is not simply some exercise in logic. And since M/C music literally surrounds me I feel much more apart of it, a very exciting thing for me. So I am not worried that it isn't "real", i.e. players in front of me like in a live performance.

Since when is art supposed to be real?

LJ

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Your explanation is just simply flawed. First of all a stereo sweet spot is just as much rely upon of your speaker and room/positioning[if not more],then on the recording.The same apply to set up a MC speaker quintet.All should be at equi distance and preferably the same quality or model as the mains.Wihtout creating the same "playing field" I don't see how one can draw a meaningful conclusion on MC music.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
As the original poster my intentions are to bring out my frustrations with the lack of titles on these two formats, and how they're letting this great invention slip away.

I even had my dad invest in a Sony 222es and a dvd-a player last year...I was so excited about the format and the new titles I thought were going to be available..:frowning: ...Other threads have discussed the pros and cons of stereo vs. m/c.
Lets see if we could let the studios know how we feel..:angry:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

This doesn't work for all disc/player combinations, or if you want to listen to the 2 channel PCM track. I should have pointed out that I don't listen to much multichannel. The other drawback to DVD-A is that you can't play it in a Redbook CD player. While not all SACD titles are hybrids, a good number are and more are being released. It's nice to have a disc with high-res 2 channel, high-res multi-channel, and Redbook all for one (usually low) price. Not an option with DVD-A.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I agree that more titles, and more CURRENT titles, need to be released in both formats if they're going to survive. It's been discussed somewhat in this thread already.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I don't believe I've come across a DVD-A disc that does not let me play it without a monitor (i.e by hitting "stop" then "play" on the remote). As for playing the stereo option, just hit "Group 2" on your remote before you hit "play." Some discs also allow you to toggle between m/c and stereo with the "audio" button.

To switch between the stereo and m/c hi-res content of SACDs with my Onkyo universal player, however, I *have* to use a monitor - one must go to the player's set-up screen to set the respective stereo or m/c area to play. That is frustrating! I sometimes bring in my DV camcorder and connect via S-video to deal with this crap.

Cheers,

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Yes, this is true, which is why I advocate that all DVD-A titles should have a redbook CD in the package. IMHO, that's a lot cheaper than trying to develop a hybrid or dual-sided disc that is compatible with *all* redbook CD players, SACD players, etc.

It's also a nice short-term solution as, again, the only redbook CD player I own is the one in my car - everything else in my house is either DVD or universal DVD/SACD. Why are the labels trying desparately to provide DVD-A backward-compatibility with redbook CD players when the hardware is already on the way out? Just put a redbook CD in the package, it costs pennies!

Cheers,

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
With stereo playback, one can be in the sweet spot and move forward or backward of that spot and still get a stereo image, which, depending on the room and speakers may or may not be as good as the absolute sweet spot but is still a stereo image that one could obviosuly hear. Depending on one's room (my main room opens to another room) standing behind the sweet spot trying to do the same thing results in hearing much more of the rears. Moving closer in from the sweet spot results in hearing more of the front channels, which, with many mixes using a center channel results in more sound from that channel vs. what is coming from the rears or the left and right, due to facts related to physics and human hearing, not my opinion. If one has a multi-channel mix with mild ambient rears and no or minimal use of the center channel then moving from the sweet spot would have more similar characteristics to stereo listening.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
What I was trying to say is, moving from your optimal sweet spot,will "degrade" the soundfield in any case. Sitting in your chair would more likely yield side to side movement,not front to back,unless you have a rocking chair or a reckliner.But I still don't see how is stereo fare batter here as I wouldn't move back and forward while I'm listening to music,unless there is new way to listen music?;)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I agree. We should see more titles in DVDA and SACD come out and you may find an album you really like.

I think it depends on your musical tastes and choice of genres. Jazz and classical fans have a number of good titles to choose from, many the definitive release, on the hirez formats.

We are starting to see more current albums released on Super Audio and DVDA, but as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I'm new to the world of multi-channel music, and my only regret is that I waited so long to discover it.

Of the discs I own, nearly all are M/C with the exception of "Blood, Sweat & Tears" which is DSD stereo. I love that album, but after hearing Dark Side of the Moon, The Stranger, Pet Sounds, and The Police in surround sound, I felt like the stereo mix didn't effect me the same way.

On the Pet Sounds disc (which is a DVD-A) there is a track that allows you to listen in on the actual recording session for "Wouldn't It Be Nice" - placing you sonically in the middle of the recording studio. It really is amazing to hear.

But I have to agree that there is work to be done in terms of marketing these formats. My wife had a difficult time even finding discs to buy this holiday, and most of my friends who've heard me talking about SACD quickly respond with something like "oh, great. Another way to make me buy the same discs again."

I really hope these formats survive. They've made me want to do something I haven't done in some time - sit down, dim the lights and turn up the music.

Next stop - "Birth Of The Cool"

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm in the same boat as most of you...I love the new hi resolution music, but I'm frustrated by the lack of available material in my taste range. Let's just hope Felix is right - that numerous artists are in the process of releasing their catalogs in hi-res.

I've noticed that SACD releases tend to appear out of nowhere. No announcement or anything, or if they are announced it's rather imminent to release. Here's to hoping that we wake up one day and BLAM!!!! Everything is hi-rez...ya right, wish on:D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really don't have anything else to add to this thread, I just don't want it to die off quite yet. The subject matter is to important. How about hearing from people who have read but not yet responded to this. If more of you who seem frustrated voice your dis-pleasure at the slow pace of new releases maybe someone will take notice. Is there anything we can do or am I just being un-realistic?

gregD

Second Unit
I finally dipped my toe in the water by way of the Pioneer DV-563a universal player... it's a little early for definitive impressions, as I'm still tweaking settings and making my way through a wide variety of hi-res discs.

I intentionally went low-ball with the 563, as I'm not convinced either format will be long-term... I'm also avoiding single-layer SACDs... it did sound rather good right out of the box, however, and both formats seem poised to deliver the promise of superior sound.

But I still have reservations about the viability of it all... yes, more titles would be great, but a wide selection doesn't seem feasible unless many more people are in the purchasing stream... and that doesn't seem likely until this whole process is made easier for the Average Joe in terms of connectivity and ease-of-use (not to resurrect that well-worn topic)... that said, the 563 offers a good starting place price-wise; maybe the next generation can have digital connections, and new receivers can better perform the more critical BM/TA functions.

Meanwhile, as it stands, hi-res works... and sounds very good.

As does redbook.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm probably like a lot of folks out there: I refuse to purchase again (for the umpteenth time) an album I already own as a CD. My only personal exception was Dark Side of the Moon, because I'm mad about Floyd. And I won't buy any SACD unless it's hybrid. With those restrictions, my purchases are limited to one SACD every other month because the pickings are so slim.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Fair enough, but from my perspective, while I am buying the same stuff yet again (and again, AND AGAIN!), I am getting that music in a format that has totally re-vitalized my ability to enjoy it.

Case in point: Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic. I have it on vinyl, the original CD, and the remastered CD. Bought it new when it came out in the mid seventies. Played it so many times, I would have thought that to hear it again in ANY form would cause me to want to hurl.

But the MC SACD is a whole new ball game. I never expected that I would want to here Walk This Way again, but in MC hi-rez, it has taken on new life.

For me, its very close to what it was like hearing it the very first time.

I am sure with Floyd, you too are hearing the music in an entirely new way. There are sounds that are buried in the mix that you can now hear....old music takes on a new lease on life, not to mention the improvded fidelity due to the format, remix, and the mastering.

It does boil down to what music you like. Most of the stuff I have bought in hi-rez has been stuff I already had in one form or another.

But from where I sit, I am enjoying that music more now than at any time in the last 20 years. For that, I will again whip out the AMEX.

Hopefully, there won't be yet another break through any time soon that is going to make me want to buy YET AGAIN. At present, SACD and DVD-A are good enough!

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks