So Canadian Satellite owners, what do you think about Star Choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_T, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I just purchased a Star Choice 401 satellite system and was wondering what I have to look forward to with my new purchase. Reviews, complaints, Good news...all is welcome [​IMG]

2. Rick P.

Rick P. Stunt Coordinator

Well, scrolling through the menus on the 401 is tediously slow but you've probably already noticed that. The bottom-o-the-line 301 is a bit better in his regard. Starchoice also dumped half of their DMX music channels and the Galaxie chanels they replaced them with are not even close in sound quality.
    My biggest gripe about it though is that it will not output a Dolby digital signal and stereo / Pro Logic at the same time. Because of this, the only way I can record sound on my VCR is to go into the 401 setup menu and select Pro Logic instead of Dolby Digital whenever I want to record something. Dolby digital 5.1 sounds really good but they don't broadcast nearly enough movies in DD for my liking. The occasional 5.1 dropouts can be annoying at times but it doesn't happen as often as it used to.
    If I were to buy another dish now, I'd probably go with one of the U.S. dishes. If I had to buy another Canadian dish it would be BEV because they just took a big jump ahead of Starchoice with their TIVO boxes.
    Rick
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Rick P. on November 09, 2001 at 10:14 PM]

3. Marc B

Marc B Auditioning

I had a 401 for 3 days before I tore the dish off the side of my house in disgust. The chroma bug on this device is the worst I have ever seen, and the picture quality was worse than my local cable (I did A/B comparison switching inputs between dish and cable on the same channel).
    I now have a Bell Expressvu 3100 model and I love it.

4. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

I don't think much of Star Choice either. I've been with ExpressVu since the beginning and have had no problems.
    I tried out my brother-in-laws Star Choice a couple of weeks ago, and was not impressed.
    As for programming, it was cheaper to go with EVu to get the channels I wanted than with SC.
    Norm