What's new

So......Books? (1 Viewer)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'm currently reading "Universal Horrors," a history of that studio's classic monster movies, and "Crucible of War," a history of the Seven Years (French & Indian) War. Both have proven to be quite engaging.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I just received the following books from QPBC:

American Gods - a novel by Neil Gaiman

The Man in the High Castle - by Philip K. Dick

Popol Vuh: The Definitive Edition Of The Mayan Book Of The Dawn Of Life And The Glories Of Gods And Kings as translated by Dennis Tedlock

Banvard's Folly Thirteen Tales of Renowned Obscurity, Famous Anonymity, and Rotten Luck by Paul Collins

Futureland: Nine Stories Of An Imminent World by Walter Mosley

The Time Machine/The War of the Worlds/The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells (a 3-in-1 book)

Whew! Those should keep me busy during my upcoming vacation! Of course, I still have all those unwatched dvds sitting on my shelf...

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Im reading LOTR for my 3rd time and Im gonna start reading the History of Middle Earth soon I hope.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Currently halfway through John Irving's The Fourth Hand.
Recently finished John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces , which is now, I believe, my all time favorite book.
Jon

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Currently re-reading the Tzimisce Clan Novel in the Vampire Clan Novel series; 13 books, written in about one story, that shifts to each clan's perspective on said story. The first time I started reading them, I only had the first three books. Since then, it's been quite awhile and I need a bit of a refresher on the story. It's a good series (so far)..if you're into that "Dark Fantasy" type of thing.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Fully entrenched with Harry Potter books. I am moving quickly through The Goblet of Fire, and will likely continue withh my Terry Goodkind series (I am working on Soul of the Fire, but needed a break because his books are so long, I get tired :))
Jason

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Just finishing In the Beginning, the story of the creation of the King James Bible. Was led to that by just having read about the slightly earlier period of religious turmoil under Edward, Mary and Elizabeth I in David Starkey's excellent Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne (basis for part of the recent History Channel documentary mini-series Elizabeth, which Starkey hosted.)
Next up will probably be What Kind of Nation?, about the political and personal struggles of Thomas Jefferson (as 3rd U.S. President) and John Marshall (as 1st Chief Justice of the United States) which helped shape the current powers of the Supreme Court and its relation to the Executive and the Legislature. There was nothing else in late 18th and early 19th centuriy America that caught my fancy after I finished McCullough's superb John Adams and Brookheiser's very good Adams Dynasty, so I detoured into 16th and 17th century England for awhile. Of course, I might have to tackle the second volume of Simon Schama's History of Britain before I return to my own side of the Atlantic, since I still have Elizabethan and Jacoban England running around in my head. (Bought the first volume in L.A. during the 2000 HTF National Meet at a bookstore next to Dave's Video when Studio Day got dull. :))
I hadn't heard about world book day, but I'm glad there is one, since I currently work at a bookstore (and will probably stay on part time even when I get a real job again. :)) The downside of that is my boss may make me read one of the current best-selling novels next, as she likes to keep the staff current with what the customers are reading. *sigh*
Regards,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks