So......Books?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul o'donnell, Mar 13, 2002.

1. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

Well world book day is tommorow so I figured a little thread about books was in order. With all the films we watch, I was just wondering who on here reads.
    What books are you reading, just read, going to read...etc? Are they any good? Is the written word better than film? Is reading dead? and anything else you want to discuss.
    I figured after hours was the place for this thread because it is a discussion with elements of a poll. Move it to polls if you disagree mr mod [​IMG]
    (ok now surely this thread will go a few posts and I will finally break my run of thread killing *crosses fingers*)

2. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

The Gettysburg Campaign - A Study in Command by Edwin b. Coddington

movies will never replace books in my life.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'm still half way through The Return of the King, part 3 of the LOTR... It's going real slow cause I am taking a class in Java so I'm really currently reading
    Core Java by Horstmann and Cornell. My next book is
    Last Breath: Cautionary Tales from the Limits of Human Endurance By Peter Stark.
    Jay

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Still trudging through Moby Dick. It's a great book, but there is soooo much to it. Melville has a great descriptive eye, but damn if he doesn't go off when he gets all righteous. I can only rake so much at a time. Fortunately, the chapters are short. [​IMG]
    Just started The Invisible Man. H.G. Wells was not a fraction as philosophical as Melville, he's pretty much just-the-facts-ma'am narrative, with good interpersonal dialogue. A good breathe of air between Moby Dick readings.
    The last book I finished was The Hobbit. Thought I'd get to Fellowship of the Ring before the movie, but that didn't happen, so that's now on the back burner.
    On the slate...
    Nature of the Beast - Fritz Lang, bio
    James Whale - A New World of Gods and Monsters, bio
    Life's a Scream, Ingrid Pitt autobio
    KISS and Make-up, Gene Simmons autobio
    Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman, fiction
    A Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs, fiction (duh! [​IMG] )
    It'll probably take me forever to get to them though [​IMG] . I just don't read like I used to.

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

7. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Due to my nine-year-old daughter's insistence, I just finished storming through all of the Harry Potter books. They were wonderful and I am now waiting impatiently for the release of book five in the series.
    Currently reading Nine Stories by JD Salinger.

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Currently reading Terry Pratchett's Theif of Time. Only reading it for a few minutes a night though. I've got the LOTR trillogy and The Hobbit waiting for me, as well as the first three books of the Wheel of Time series that friend gave me for Christmas. And I'm up for a re-read of both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
    But I've been spending a lot of time playing video games. He he [​IMG]

9. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

10. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

11. Michael Fennessy

Michael Fennessy Stunt Coordinator

Michael Fennessy
    Right now I am reading A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin. For those of you who like fantasy, this is a must read. For those of you who DON'T HATE fantasy, maybe give this one a shot. This is the third of a supposedly 6 book series. A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the series. Can't say enough positive things about it. I hope to finish this by tuesday the 19th as that is the day that Stephen King's new one comes out!

Mike

PS- I have to throw in my suggestion that everyone read Watership Down by Richard Adams. Possibly the finest book of the second half of the 20th century.

12. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Just finished Stephen King's "Four Past Midnight"...it was not as good as I remember it being the first time I read it.

Next up is "The Corrections", as soon as my brother lends me his copy. He's been raving about it, so I've got high hopes.

13. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I'm currently reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. Not read much so far but it's very good.
    Before that I'd read The Hobbit. Very enjoyable book, which I re-read after seeing LOTR. I set up a Book Forum website where I've reviewed and discussed my latest reads with others. We'd welcome anyone from HTF over there.

14. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I'm currently re-reading my favorite book "Trinity" by Leon Uris. St. Patricks Day day gets me in the mood for this book.

15. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Currently reading two short story compilations:

NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET by Richard Matheson. A great collection of stories from the 50s and 60s by the one of the greatest of all genre writers. Includes the original story that inspired the classic Twilight Zone episode.

SLIPPAGE by Harlan Ellison. An interesting collection of Ellison stories, mostly from his later period. A lot to chew on.

16. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Previous read: Biography of John Adams-David McCullough

Current read: Prodigal Summer-Barbara Kingsolver

Next read: Going to re-read 100 Years of Solitude-Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

17. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

CUrrently I am reading the third (and final) volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative. It is my second time around with this three volume series. Next on my list isHero With a Thousand Faces.

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm reading Tom Clancy's The Bear and the Dragon . I've read every one in this series since Cardinal of the Kremlin and I must say that this one is way better so far (300 pages in) than Rainbow Six which I found a little boring. Clancy can drone on, but when he hits the mark like with Clear and Present Danger , he truly is a master wordsmith.

19. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Currently paging through Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, Book 3) by Tad Williams. I have been reading this for some time. The first 2 were great, but it seems Tad is searching and stretching for ideas on this one. It does not help that each book (4 in the series) averages 700 pages!

Once that one is done, I will be forging into Sea Of Silver Light (Otherland Vol 4).

20. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I just read A Trial By Jury which was a short book about one man's experience as a juror at a murder trial. Fascinating. He details the interaction between jurors inside the deliberation room. He's a bit snooty in parts, but that adds to the tension between him and the other jurors.
    And today I finished Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden, author of Black Hawk Down. I had problems with BHD because I couldn't keep the characters straight. That wasn't an issue in Killing Pablo, due to less major characters. It's about the hunt for the world's most notorious drug kingpin, Pablo Escobar.
    Next up: either a book about Ted Bundy or some other true crime. I'm champing at the bit to read This is the Zodiac Speaking which should supplant Graysmith's Zodiac as the best work on the never-apprehended serial killer. Then a book which Rich Malloy recommended: The Old, Weird America which is about The Basement Tapes.