What's new

So begins the tv show doldrums... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well now that most shows have had their season finales. We now have our 3 1/2 month wait for new seasons to begin. :frowning:

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I also like a lot of the show on cable (History, Discovery, HGTV, etc) that are either new or that I never saw on their initial showing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have gobs of stuff that I recorded and offloaded that will be watched over the summer. Plus, I like having more hours to sleep in the summer.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Not to mention new shows like the SWAT-style CBS show Flashpoint, USA's witness protection series In Plain Sight, that grown-up 70s show, Swingtown, plus returning shows like Damages, Rescue Me, Monk, Psych, Burn Notice, The Closer, Saving Grace and Law & Order: CI - all of which will debut new episodes in June and July. Frank TV and The Bill Engvall Show even cover the comedy side of the street.

And that's just broadcast and basic cable.

Not exactly a major scripted-series drought. :)

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

And I forgot all about this show on NBC. :D

Rocky F

Second Unit
While ABC Family is not having a summer season of Kyle XY (it's returning in January, I believe,) they have a new show called "The Middleman" based on a comic by Javier Grillo-Marxuach, who was a writer on "Lost" & "Medium." They also have a Juno-esque show, "The Secret Lives of American Teenagers," and don't forget about "Eureka" on Scifi.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That's assuming there won't be an actors strike.

This is also when I catch up on the TV series DVDs that I have purchased in the past several months. I plan to start re-watching the entire series of The Wire very soon.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
On June 6th, SciFi will be carrying a show that most (in the USA) have not seen: Charlie Jade. Hopefully they will show the whole season and not quit after 3 episodes.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I think you mean In Plain Sight.

As far as the rest of the summer series, I have the new seasons of Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice, and the current seasons still airing for Doctor Who and Robin Hood.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, yes. That's what I wrote. Go back and check it. See? ;) (Never post from work late in the day on the Friday before a three-day weekend. :))

Regards,

Joe

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> We now have our 3 1/2 month wait for new seasons to begin.

Better recheck the TV listings- at least 2 series just started their seasons this past week, and several more are starting over the next few weeks.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

None of which are broadcast network series that just aired their season finales. ;) Chris was obviously referring to shows that run on the standard September to May major network schedule, not short-form summer series or basic cable originals. (Many of which have alreaady been discussed in detail several posts up in the thread.)

Regards,

Joe

mylan

Screenwriter
We use this time to catch up on movies that we were too busy to see due to all the network shows we watch or simply enjoy summer evenings with no real schedule. We do enjoy our nine (not including HBO and Showtime!) shows but it is good to step back for awhile and chill.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That's great. I just saw the film Stargate for the first time last week. I may have to watch this series some day as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's a great SciFi series -- definitely for any fan of Star Trek TNG. I've seen about half the series, out of order and scattershot, over the years. I'm enjoying watching it straight through with my wife.

The movie failed to meet its potential in creating a Star Wars-like universe, vast and epic. I think the TV series fulfills that potential.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This is where I enjoy my netflix subscription the most. We watch movies and old television shows during the summer months.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yes, I've read on various Boards how the television series is far better than the film. I thought the film was okay, but not great. But I've rarely heard negative things about the quality of the television series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks