So, are The Strokes all they're hyped up to be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Jan 3, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I think not, a little too new-wavy for me. Typical media darlings for a while, then fade into obscurity again, if you ask me.

What do you guys think?

/Mike

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Very overrated. I like the album, which I purchased because of the stellar reviews I read.

It is good for a few listens, but I think you are correct - they won't have much staying power.

3. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

They're the real deal. I refused to buy into the hype, but eventually caved and bought it just because I was wanting something new. Took a couple listens to win me over, but it's a damn fine record.

Certainly they wear their influences on their sleeve, but they also are way more fun than any of their influences.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I like them, except for the fact that they use a drum machine on some songs. I just hate that!

5. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

The Strokes...what an appropriate name.

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I think its a really good album. Totally derivative, but great fun. Besides, I'd rather a few more people rip off the Stooges, rather than New Kids On The Block. Just turn it up and drive fast while singing along.

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Its an alright album, but nowhere near as good as the White Stripe's White Blood Cells, now theres a rocking album!

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Ike - is that irony or are you just fooled by the total lack of anything good in the drumming.

The Strokes are just Oasis with 10 years later influences, charm, and dress sense. If I was 19 again I'd love the album to bits but admit that it wasn't the most original thing ever. But I like it a bit more sophisticated these days. They're just not quite in the 'turn your mind off' category for me.

On the other hand they're a damn good radio singles band. They're also a very dull live act.

Try 'The Hives' - similarly derivative but with some modern production values.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Your telling me track 8 isn't using a drum machine? I'd like to hear a producer (or someone who dabbles in it), or better yet a drummer, listen to it and post what they think. I'd bet money that Hard to Explain and When it Started are using drum machines (or effects that make it sound like it.) I hope it's not a drum machine-I can handle bad drumming, but drum machines are intolerable.

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

11. JasonD

JasonD Agent

I have a feeling that we're going to hear a lot of "garage rock" in the next few years on mainsteam radio. Remember, the early 90s brough Grunge into the mainstream so this may be history repeating itself.

Still waiting for Trip Hop to make an impact on mainstream radio. Just as well it doesn't since a lot of underground music styles become redundant after awhile.

12. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Well Ike, that puts you back where I can understand you. Sorry, but your quote in no way suggested to me that you were talking specifically about that song, nor even made that much logical sense.
    To me your comment it suggests you will not listen to anything with a drum machine but if it was real drums, regardless of the beat, you'd be happy. That's what I found illogical and bizarre.
    EDIT: I think I get what you mean now: a boring drum beat by a human is dull but understandable, but a drum machine that they've failed to program beyond a basic 1,2 beat is pathetic?[​IMG]

14. Adnan Sheikh

Adnan Sheikh Stunt Coordinator

Really love the cd. Yeah, it's derivative and all, but I can't stop listening to it.

White Blood Cells is really good too, but I prefer Is This It.

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well, I finally picked it up a few weeks ago, and while it's catching shit for being derivitive of Velvet Underground and Stooges, when was the last time they had a new album. [​IMG]
    So I'm more than happy to hear a derivitive band with NEW hooks, especially when it's derivitive of real rock bands in this era of pop singing (and I include the Matchbox 20, etc bands in this group, not just NSyncs). I really am enjoying the album.
    Another example is Lenny Kravitz - sure he shows his influences on his sleeve, but at least he's doing new songs in the genre and does it well. I swear that "Is There Any Love in Your Heart?" from Are You Gonna Go My Way could be a song on Physical Grafitti. But it's not, so to me that's a great thing, I get to hear one more song off of PG thanks to the magic of Kravitz. I'm all for more songs in a style I love.
    Now when your songs borrow DIRECTLY from another song (Creed, Stone Temple Pilots), especially a CONTEMPORARY then I hate it.

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I haven't bought the CD, but based on their appearance on SNL and there half hour live special on MTV2 I'd pay to see them.

17. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    This is the only cd I've been listening to the last week. Great hooks and melodies. Let's hope this signals the rebirth of old-school rock and roll.

18. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Re: the drum machine sound. I like the album, but a couple of the intros sound like that Casio band put together by Horatio, Jimmy, Tracy and Chris on SNL.

"I don't care what your mama says,

Christmas time is he-ere"