So...are the new Sony LCD Wegas good or what? Help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David Galindo, Oct 27, 2003.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

OK, here's the deal. Right now I have a nice 36" Sony FD WEGA (KV-36FS12), but want to upgrade to widescreen and HDTV. I saw the new 50" Widescreen Rear-projection Sony KF-50WE610 LCD for $3200. I really think its great, but now I am hearing bad things like black contrast issues and dead pixels.

I would use this 50" TV only for regular cable (no HDTV channels), XBox (widescreen progressive 480p) and DVD (Sony Progressive scan w/component cables.) I never plan to upgrade my cable service to HDTV.

So, for my uses, is it worth getting? Or should I stick to Plasma? I was thinking about the Sony KE-42XBR900 flat-panel plasma, but its just too dang expensive.

By the way, I do want my TV purchase to put me through the next 6-10 years without upgrading.

2. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    Look at the "LCD Projector TV" post.

3. Johnny/B

Johnny/B Auditioning

The new Sony GWIII is a huge improvement over the XBR LCDs. With that said, it still has problems displaying good black levels. I have had the oppurtunity to demo it with HD, DVD and an analog feed (I work at The Great Indoors).

The Hitachi is the best LCD rear projector product out there hands down. Awesome contrast ratio, awesome blacks. I can't believe people who just push LCD to the side and jump on the DLP bandwagon.

4. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

I looked at the Hitachci and Sony LCDs last week and they both look great. What I'm wondering is what you get for the extra $500 with the Sony for the same size display. Is it just name brand upcharge or is there some technology there that is better?

5. Johnny/B

Johnny/B Auditioning

You might want to check out this thread before you take the Sony plunge...

Copy and paste the link in your browser and put a www in front of it.

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=318208&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

No reason to buy an HDTV period if you never plan on getting HD. One of those EDTV plasma sets should do fine for your uses.

I'm still puzzled by "I never plan to upgrade my cable service to HDTV." To move from standard to HD is $5/month with my cable company. A no brainer.

7. David Galindo

Well, what I mean is that my cable provider doesn't have a good plan yet for HDTV, and my only option is Direct TV. I might jump on the HDTV bandwagon if Cable One can give me a better deal.

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

My cable provider doesn't charge for HDTV per se, but they charge a higher rental fee on the converter box - but you just get the 8 or so basic channels). But then of course, you can "add" channel packages at a premium.

9. David Galindo

Now Im actually looking at the Samsung 50" Widescreen DLP. Looks very sharp, and no burn in. I think I just found my TV [​IMG]

10. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Samsung DLP's are VERY nice. My father picked one up last Christmas, no problems yet. Beautiful picture.