What's new

So, any plans for releasing the director's cut of GETTYSBURG on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
From the reviews I've seen (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the current DVD only includes the theatrical cut and not the longer version released on laserdisc.

While I've read excellent reviews of the transfer and the bonus materials, I'd much rather have the longer version of the film, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Does anyone know if a bigger special edition set is planned- perhaps to coincide with the DVD release of GODS AND GENERALS later this year?

It would certainly seem that there's a market for it- every online retailer I've checked and a few retail stores I've poked my head into were sold out of the DVD.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Personally, the real reason I'd like to see them revisit the Gettysburg disc is the soundtrack. A 5.0 soundtrack just does not do proper justice to it. Canon firing especially always seemed kinda anemic on the disc.

What did they add in that director's cut anyways? One thing I was pretty impressed with in Gettysburg is how close the movie actually followed the book. It's been a while since I watched the whole thing, but I don't remember it really missing much of anything.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Gettysburg was made for television in the mid-1990s. I doubt the sound mix was especially outstanding and the current DVD is probably a good approximation of how the film is supposed to sound (and how I remember it sounding when I saw it theatrically). As for the extended cut, maybe, but given the appalling critical and financial reception of Gods and Generals, don't bet on it.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Gary,

The director's cut of GETTYSBURG is about 1/2 hour longer and was released in a laserdisc box set a few years back. I haven't seen it myself, but there's breakdown of the added material on the IMDB entry under 'alternate versions.'

Despite the disappointing performance of GODS AND GENERALS, I think we'll at least get a special edition of it, hopefully with the 5-1/2 hour director's cut that Ron Maxwell showed at special screenings which will also be shown in multiparts on cable.

I'm sure they're leaning heavily on those markets as well as Foreign TV and video sales in order to return more $$

Jo_C

Second Unit
In response to Julian,

As I have mentioned before, although "Gettysburg" was conceived and originally produced as a television miniseries, it was decided at the last minute that it should be a theatrical release first, thus it is in the books as a theatrical release. It bypassed pay cable for a broadcast run on TNT.

Ironically, recent showings of "Gettysburg" have been in its theatrically released aspect ratio of 1.77:1.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
According to the DP, Kees Van Oostrum, GETTYSBURG was shot in that ratio originally with the intention of it being broadcast on television in letterbox format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks