What's new

Hulu Amazon Prime So Amazon and Hulu are no longer on new Sony Blu Ray players apparently (1 Viewer)

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I guess this is old news... and I apologize if this belongs more in the hardware forum, but anyway... I ordered a new Sony player - this would be my third for our house. I still use the other two, but needed another one for the office. Anyway, I ordered it online, so I hadn't seen the outer box to notice this and even then, I simply hooked it up and was surprised to see how lacking the built in apps was.

Now, I learned long ago that apps on Blu ray players and smart tvs kind of sucked compared to Roku (and i'm sure Apple and Fire sticks) and stopped using them on these devices, but I found it interesting that Amazon and Hulu decided to stop supporting apps for blu ray players. I guess they don't sell like they used to, and maybe others are like me and still use dedicated streaming devices, but it seems like they could still lose some customers out of this.

I guess both stop support last year.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
On my older Sony player, the app logos still appear but they say "Service ends September 2019".

Interesting. I haven't used the apps in a long time on my older players.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I fairly often use the apps built into my smart TV (an OLED), and they are still updated on a semi-regular basis even though the set is now four years old. I long ago stopped using the apps on Blu-ray players because they were never updated and ceased being useful. Much prefer a dedicated streamer for large scale streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks