So...am I the only one who saw the season premiere "Oz" tonight?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Leonard, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Well, it's nice to see Oz back on track. Last season, shall we say, felt more like a soap opera and had a very scattershot tone to it.
    Tonight's premiere was a lean and mean, bringing back of a lot of older characters to Emerald City, while introducing some new ones. A few of the highlights:
    --Luke Perry. Dear God, his post-explosion look was utterly repulsive and disturbing. Even though he was onscreen for all of two seconds, it was enough to etch his new look into my head for a good long time.
    --O'Reilly basically incriminating two (and possibly more) prisoners in the death of an individual they had no part in. (The name of the person escapes me...it was the one who raped Dr. Nathan.) It felt good to see O'Reilly back to his old scamming/backstabbing ways. [​IMG]
    --Alvarez coming back to Em City...I'm sure this will lead to more "fun" down the way. [​IMG]
    --Though he really had nothing to do in the series, it was nice to see jazz muscian John Lurie on the show. [​IMG] I've loved this guy since my introduction to Fishing with John.
    --The ending, which basically came out of nowhere and was incredibly downbeat for even this show. I think it's a testament to the actors and the writing that one can feel sorry for utterly hateful characters like Vern Schillinger in the final moments of the episode.
    All in all, a great return to form for the show. Eagerly looking foward to the next episode, which brings back an old favorite!
    EDIT: Sorry, that title should say "...saw the season premiere OF Oz..."

2. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I watched and enjoyed the season premiere. After the show ended I thought, "You know, when the series ends, NOBODY will get a happy ending."

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have to wait for the rebroadcast on Tues. evening. Sunday night has become so crowded that, even with TiVo and a VCR, I can't get everything.

M.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Last night was the first time my wife & I watched an episode of Oz all the way through - wish we'd one it before, we're now officially hooked. Gritty, dark, depressing, with some great acting.

5. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

Could someone help me out with the last scene?
    Not to seem to dim, but since I could barely make-out what was being said over the final scene, did everyone on the bus except for the baby and the priest die?

Thanks,
    Thos. [​IMG]

6. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Thomas,
    Yes, that was my impression, that only the priest and baby made it out alive.
    As for the ending being a surprise, it wasn't, the bus accident was shown at the start of the show, and they don't show anything outside of Oz unless it relates to a new prisoner or one of the prisoners in Oz, so you knew that the was what was going to happen...
    I think the first episode was very well done. The only complaint I have was the dressing up of Hill with the costumes during the narrative, a bit over the top I thought, but par for the course on that part of the show [​IMG]
    Also, Schillinger is one of my favorite characters on the show, as is Said and O'Reilly. The only characters that wear on me a bit are McManus and Dr. Nathan (although McManus is SUPPOSED to wear on you I think [​IMG])

7. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

oh god, i feel like such a lame housewife talking about soap operas, but i'm so in love with this show....

I like most of the HBO shows, but none of them seem to pack in as much drama AND carnage as OZ.

The Schillinger/Beecher dynamic is awesome, and it will be interesting to see what happens when the old pal returns...

I hope when all is said and done, the "good guys"- Beecher, Hill, & Said all come out ok. Though Said's new mean style is kind of amusing...

And I totally think something ill is going to happen between the orielly boys.

As for the guy who complained about the wacky costumes on Hill- it's totally par for the course; I've seen every episode of all 4 seasons (probably at least twice), and I appreciate the wacky visual aides that Hill will frequently use.

I was prettty bummed when I learned of Oz's originally scheduled demise due to something as lame as set concerns. I'm really glad HBO worked it out, and figured a way to keep 'em coming- they've shown that tey're swinging rihgt out of the gate this time around.

I'm also super hyped about the DVDs--i know a lot of people actaully who can't stomach the show. hopefully I can use the DVDs to get folks to see the beauty. It's funny. my last boss was so turned off by the , umm, "physical love" aspects of the show he couldn't take it; his loss, if you ask me. I think anyshow that can routinely be by far the most gruesome series in production, but also move a jaded young white couple to tears on occasion is badass in my opinion.

8. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I missed about half of last season. I got kinda bored when they started doing that aging drug stuff and that stupid gameshow. This was pretty much back to form looking forward to next week

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Hmm$64.95 is a bit pricey for 8 eps. I want it but I better find it at a good price.

11. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I'm a big Oz fan. It is definately a "Male Soap Opera".

I like Beecher and Said a lot. Beecher makes me think about what would happen if I went to prison. Guess I won't do anything to warrant that.

I respected Said on the show. He had his faults, but he was basically someone who cared. And now he's gone wacky. Oh well.

And I don't want to ever see that female guard naked again. Eeeek!