What's new

So, Aberdeen Maryland? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Well there is potentially remodeling costs but maybe not depending on the existing home you might buy. To me the biggest issue of new build (we bought our current home new 10 years ago) is all the other "stuff" you will want like a deck/patio/landscaping/gardens/shed/etc. These items are expensive and unless you build them into the loan of the new build (which drives up your payment) than it will often take years for you to add that to your home. There are homes in my development that still have no deck/patio or any outdoor living space whatsoever, over a decade later . So if you really are careful in choosing a pre-existing home I still think in the long run you will get a better deal. Not to even mention all the other things you need in a new home - window treatments, ceiling fans, painted walls, garage door openers, washer/dryer - many times these all convey with an existing home purchase.

Just some thoughts, ymmv.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well I don't think there is any cost savings to be had buying new. The advantage is you get to customize to your tastes and not have to retrofit someone else's choices. If you are frugal with your customizations you can get a good deal, if you go wild (like I did) you can spend more than neighboring houses for sure.
My house came with a landscaping package that is perfect for me. I don't have to do anything more than water and mow for a long while.
I will put in a custom patio down the road I hope. The good news is I didn't have to settle for their decking, I could go deck or patio at my whim.
Sam

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Sam -

Great points all. Getting what you want is always good!

I am actually in the process of tearing out all the bushes that my contractor put in for our front yard landscaping from 11 years ago - ugh. All bushes are out and now it is the process of tearing out roots, digging up rocks, bringing in some decent soil and then deciding what too do in place of what was there. The joys of home ownership....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/302371/so-aberdeen-maryland/60#post_3913632
Well I don't think there is any cost savings to be had buying new.
What I meant was: there used to be a distinct price premium to buying new. (I say that having bought new a few years back.) It seems that premium has been significantly reduced.

Christopher, I lived it! I never got my deck built or basement finished after seven years in a new build with walk-out basement :(

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bumparoo: Finally got the desk I've been craving. Here's a wide view of it: New desk by Kadath, on Flickr It's not what everyone would want but it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Enough space to have a half dozen different machines surrounding me in a semi-circle, accessible at the turn of my chair. I have used both bootcamp and parallels in the past but I prefer to simply have discrete boxes for different needs. My PCs are simply life support systems for Steam, my Macs are where I get my real work done. It took me literally 10 months of watching Craigslist for something like this to come up, and while I found a few similar ones in the past none would deliver. This thing weighs over 400 pounds and is built like a tank. I suspect it will stay with the house whenever I move to a new one. I wasn't real particular with what wood I would choose but this is real Mahogany with a clear coating on top. There's a few chips in it here and there but at 1/4 the price of buying it new, I can deal with that for sure. Gives it character =) Sitting at this thing makes me feel like a combination of Neo in the Matrix and a CEO. Loving it! And yes, I use my 10 year old receiver with a set of Energy RC Micro 5.1s for my gaming PC, finally got full 5.1 surrounds for my PC games! Borderlands 2 was shaking my room so much I was worried about waking folks up!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
my Macs are where I get my real work done.
I think I just threw up a little...
All joking aside, looks like a really nice setup. Not too crowded, lots of surface area, and built to last. Nice! Hopefully the new cats aren't ones to nibble on cables...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Jason Charlton said:
I think I just threw up a little... ;) All joking aside, looks like a really nice setup.  Not too crowded, lots of surface area, and built to last.  Nice!  Hopefully the new cats aren't ones to nibble on cables...
Oh man, yeah that's been a concern. I've scolded and cajoled and done my best. I'm just hoping they don't bite into any live wires. I can replace cables but I don't want Crispy Critters. Lightroom on the iMac is just a dream. Don't be a hater! Dave, that image is awesome, thanks!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was trying to find the awesome picture I apparently posted. Sadly, I could not. Sam, awesome desk. I previously had a mongo corner desk that lasted me a decade (until this last move). However, with great desk space comes great clutter. :) Keep a watch out for that. I've downsized my desk to some thing a third the size of yours. My office is smaller, and I share with my wife (she'd say she shares with me). And we both share with the cats.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Sam Posten said:
Oh man, yeah that's been a concern. I've scolded and cajoled and done my best. I'm just hoping they don't bite into any live wires. I can replace cables but I don't want Crispy Critters. Lightroom on the iMac is just a dream. Don't be a hater! Dave, that image is awesome, thanks!
I've only seen once where marcy started to chew on a power cord. But for the most part, my cats seem to be good. What I was told is that cats don't like citrus, i.e. oranges, etc. So I'm told that one could spread like an orange peel (inside) on things that you don't want the cat to get into... I know my cats don't seem to like orange peels, etc.. Jay

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So, this happened... Electric Burn by Kadath, on Flickr During the superbowl tonight. If I have had one complaint about the house it has been that the smoke detectors were too sensitive. They were replaced 4 times now. The last time was during my 10 month walk through when they put an entirely different system in last week. It went off during the fricking SB, with people over for the game. I run down to the basement to get the step ladder, get up on it and start tugging on it to get the wires to come out. They plastic plug won't come out. I pull a little harder and the wires pop out of the plastic jacket, arc into one finger, out the other and knock me on my ass 3 feet to the floor. F=MA you do the math on 350 pounds hitting that floor. Had the first aid come and check me out, they confirmed that with the bleeding stopped I wasn't in imminent danger, but that I was obvious IN shock besides BEING shocked. Took it easy for the rest of the evening but I'm VERY weak now. Gonna give it a good night's sleep and hope I can get up for work without too much issue, and call the builder for what I'm sure is going to be a very heated conversation. Turns out THIS smoke detector needs to be pinched to be removed. They never told me that. And it shouldn't allow the wires to pop out in my hands with a tug or two either way =(

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
O...M...G...Sam. Thank God you weren't hurt even worse! Good for you to get check out by the pros. I cannot believe what I'm seeing on that hand! It's like you were hit by lightning! Yikes! Take the opportunity to lay low for a day or two...listen to your body. When it tells you you need to slow down and take things easy after some trauma like that, do it! There's nothing so important it can't wait another day or so. Get better.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks Mike. Very sore this AM, have a pronounced limp. At least there are plenty of superbowl leftovers and the good vibes from a Ravens win to keep me up today!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Sam Posten said:
So, this happened... During the superbowl tonight. If I have had one complaint about the house it has been that the smoke detectors were too sensitive. They were replaced 4 times now. The last time was during my 10 month walk through when they put an entirely different system in last week. It went off during the fricking SB, with people over for the game. I run down to the basement to get the step ladder, get up on it and start tugging on it to get the wires to come out. They plastic plug won't come out. I pull a little harder and the wires pop out of the plastic jacket, arc into one finger, out the other and knock me on my ass 3 feet to the floor. F=MA you do the math on 350 pounds hitting that floor. Had the first aid come and check me out, they confirmed that with the bleeding stopped I wasn't in imminent danger, but that I was obvious IN shock besides BEING shocked. Took it easy for the rest of the evening but I'm VERY weak now. Gonna give it a good night's sleep and hope I can get up for work without too much issue, and call the builder for what I'm sure is going to be a very heated conversation. Turns out THIS smoke detector needs to be pinched to be removed. They never told me that. And it shouldn't allow the wires to pop out in my hands with a tug or two either way =(
ouch, glad you are OK enough to take a picture of it and put it on Flikr. My father's house has wired smoked detectors and I detest them. The only detector's I've ever used just twisted CCW to get off... I was wondering if it was cat related but alas, it was not! Figure if so, there would be a movie about this in some lifetime considering we were talking about cats and the wires and guess who gets shocked.... not the kitties! :) Jay

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Wow - glad you're doing OK. I've gotten zapped a few times, but never enough to get burns or actually draw blood. Scary stuff. At least the game wound up being exciting at the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks