What's new

Snowthrower Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
After shoveling off my property and my mom's through a winter with one of the heaviest snowfalls on record last year, I've decided to break down and buy a snowthrower. I guess the brand I see advertised most often is Toro. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with these models? My property isn't big enough to justify one of those two-stage auger type models, so I'm pretty much interested in opinions on the single stage ones. Any advice, thanks.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Believe me, what ever one you decide to get,you'll wonder why you waited so long to get one ????
laugh.gif

Know all about those "Lake Effect" Snows.....off Lake Michigan !!
furious.gif

John Johnson

Agent
Trust me, the money spent on a two-stage auger type is WELL worth it. My parents have two driveways (oval in the front, straight on the other corner) but it would get the whole job done in about twenty minutes. Can't really recommend a brand though... The one they have is a Simplicity and it's great..

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Michael*K, you guys in Chicago always get hit harder than us too
laugh.gif

When I lived up North we had a Toro, I believe. I never had to run it, as I was younger at the time. I'm so glad I live in Florida and dont have to deal with snow. Anyways, ask around in the hardware stores. They'll usually give you some descent advice. I should go to Home Depot tomorrow and see if one here in the Tampa Bay area sells sonw blowers. That would be too funny.
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you are typically cleaning 6 inches or less of snow, a two-stage is not really necessary. Sears sells a 5Hp single stage with an electric start for $400. I purchased one two years ago to replace a 20 year old small Toro, and it will clean up to a foot of snow without a problem. We have a double-wide driveway, and it easily throws the snow far enough.
Toro makes a quality product, but you will pay a little more money for the same features.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
If money is not a big concern for you, consider the Honda line. A very affordable (yet durable) line is MTD.
I have owned an 8 HP, two-stage, MTD with electric start for 5 years now. It has been extremely reliable and is very powerful. Good luck!
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Buy a John Deere snowblower. You should have seen the looks on my neighbors' faces when I opened the garage door and the mean green machine was unveiled for the first time.
eek.gif

No Honda, Toro or other puny red wannabe can cause that kind of reaction. It was priceless.
cool.gif

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
You want to know which snowblower to get? Come talk to ME
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Last Dec after our Home Depot-brand p.o.s snowblower crapped out while trying to clear 3ft of snow, our condo assoc went out and got a Toro Snow Commander. That thing is BAD ASS. It could go through a glacier if you wanted. I actually had FUN doing the snow and had no problem helping out neighbors who were digging in vain for hours.
http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrower...der/38600.html

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I actually had FUN doing the snow and had no problem helping out neighbors who were digging in vain for hours.
I'm sure you've seen the commercial for the Snow Commander, Tom. The guy clears his driveway and places his lawn chair on the freshly cleaned asphalt. As he relaxes in the brisk air, a snow plow comes along and buries the driveway entrance. His reaction: "Sweet!"
laugh.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks