Snow White Platnium Edition: VHS outsells DVD by 1.5 Million copies!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

If anyone read USA Today's Money section today, there was an article on the financial outlook of Disney and AOL Time Warner. Within that article there was a very interesting stat.... Snow White on VHS sold 4 million copies while the DVD sold only around 2.5 million copies.

I found these numbers very intriguing especially noticing some of the recent threads pertaining to VHS, and the death of that format. VHS is still very viable, as these numbers show, and will continue to be a major player for some time to come. Of course DVD has only been around for 5 years or so, but these numbers show there is still a bit to go as far as market penetration for DVD.

J

2. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

Well considering that VHS players out number DVD players about 10 to 1, I would say DVD kicked VHS' butt!

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

You have got to be kidding? While we are certainly in a transition period between formats, I still find those numbers shocking. [​IMG]

4. Michael St. Clair

The fact that Snow White had already been released to VHS multiple times in the past surely had some impact on the numbers. Still impressive.

When 80 percent of the floor space at Blockbuster is devoted to DVD and the rest is VHS I'll consider VHS dead.

5. Marc Deslauriers

I have a whole bunch of friends that bought the VHS version of Snow White for their young kids because they don't want them touching the DVD payer.

Add that to the fact that for a kid, it's easier to get a VHS going (insert and watch) than for a DVD.

So, I'm not surprised the Snow White VHS outsold the DVD.

Marc.

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Ummm...I thought that the DVD sold something like 2 million its first week out back in Oct. So only .5 million more were sold in the last two months?

And the VHS didnt street again until Nov. Almost a month later. I think the numbers were reversed on this one.

Hell, the first day alone Snow White DVD sold 1 million.

This has to be wrong.

8. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Sean,

I believe your correct. These numbers appear severly flawed. Afterall, their were 2 million copies sold in the first two weeks alone and 4.5 million copies shipped to retailers the first week.

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

USA Today Article
    The numbers are quoted at the bottom of the article, and I have no reason to believe they are incorrect.
    As much as we buy DVDs, there is such a large base of VHS users that have yet to switch over, that their purchases of VHS will almost always outnumber DVD sales.
    As far as Disney selling 2 million the first week, those numbers are nothing but marketing, trying to get one up on the competition for the quickest selling DVD of all time. When it is all said and done these initial numbers are usually incorrect by a wide margain.
    J

10. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind that even VHS owners knew of the Jan 30 moratorium on Snow White.

Even if they plan on purchasing a DVD player in the future, they did not wish to be without Snow White for the next 10 years.

So I believe this is a 'last-time' buy and really does not reflect the true VHS-DVD debate.

11. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

I am keeping one extra un-opened copy of this DVD for "future considerations." I suspect that in 5 years the VHS copy will be value-less, along with the VHS format. I can't even speculate what this film will look like when it comes out moratorium in ten years. HD-DVD? Computer chip?

12. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I believe people get confused with figures because usually the higher one includes sales to retailers/distributors.
    Just because DVD's were "sold" to retailers for resale doesn't mean it is a true figure. It is the cash register sales that count on the bottom line when viewing demographics.