1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Snow White Platinum Does NOT Like Mac OS X DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Farmer, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Yes, I know I'm WAY behind the times. I recently picked up SW&tSD on DVD (I've been looking for it for a couple of months, but never saw it in any of the stores I was in). I was amazed, like everyone else, and how incredible the transfer looked, but there is one problem.

I can't get a time stamp for you, because I'm in the process of moving my things back to Texas A&M for the coming school year, and my DVDs are in my new apartment, while I'm still at home, but it occurs in the scene where Snow White wakes up and guesses the names of the dwarfs. Right before, and around when she names Grumpy, there is some horrible blocking. It's short, lasting all told for only about 5 or 10 seconds, but it's very distracting, enough that the first time I saw it, I asked myself what it was. I watch a lot of my movies on my iBook (it works well enough, and I can always plug it into my TV/stereo for better sound) and that was where I saw the problem. I immediately took it into our family set top DVD player, no problems.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.1.5 on my iBook 500, with DVD player 3.1.1, although I've also replicated the problem on a friend's G4 with Jaguar (10.2). has anyone else seen these problems, or are they just a bad disc on my part? I was inclined to think bad disc, but when the blocking didn't show up on the set-top, I don't know. Anybody else with Mac OS X want to take a look? thanks in advance for your help.

2. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

some blocking occurs during that scene on my titanium powerbook running 10.1.5.

3. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

So it's not just mine. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad. On the one hand, knowing mine isn't defective and not having to try to find an exchange copy for a disc that has been OOP for 6 months is a relief, but it is still ugly as sin...