What's new

"Snow White" - Limited Time Only? (1 Viewer)

Stephen R

Stunt Coordinator
Top Ten of 2002
Link Removed
#1. ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU-CHOU
A vivid, confounding patchwork detailing moments of definition in the lives of some Japanese youths, Shunji Iwai's All About Lily Chou-Chou represents the kind of daring, remarkable youth filmmaking that flourished during the French New Wave. Unbound by narrative conventions and archetypical teen-film elements, the movie flows freely from brutal to gentle. The brazen disregard for signposts and directional guides along the way is exactly the thing that makes its depictions of
Link Removed
#2. PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE
Comments coming...
Link Removed
#3. DEVILS ON THE DOORSTEP
Comments coming...
Link Removed #4. Donnie Darko - I must admit an affection of sorts to these types of films. There aren’t many things I like more in film than man-sized bunny rabbits with carnivorous insect faces portentously predicting the apocalyptical doom of man, jet engines falling through suburban houses with no plane to link them to, and coming-of-age stories punctuated by theories of time travel vessels that link with individual humans by means of a long, gooey cylinder that extends from the chest. It’s like Ghost World directed by David Lynch with a helping of Being John Malkovich. But Richard Kelly puts his own stamp on this creation with truly brilliant casting and a script that dares us to second-guess it – it’s filled to the brim with memorable twists. This is also one of the best directorial debuts of the year; Kelly balances Donnie’s dark, perhaps psychotic delusions with a cockeyed, humorous vision of the 80s that’s both absurdist and reverent, and his use of slow-motion is inspired, often and appropriately displaying ludicrousness rather than grace or style. A bonus: the movie gives Patrick Swayze his best role since, well, ever.
1804383744p-th.jpg
#5. Memento - While the impact of watching Memento is, not surprisingly, somewhat diluted upon multiple viewings, the joyous act of viewing bravura, audacious filmmaking remains intact. Like Mulholland Drive and Waking Life though not is such a discreet manner, Memento’s main character, Leonard Shelby, is trapped in a recurring dream/nightmare of sorts. He exists for the sole purpose of exacting revenge on those who left him with such a blindingly depressing final mental Polaroid. Some critics attacked Nolan’s screenplay as being gimmicky. In essence, it is, but the high-concept premise certifies and justifies it. Through patient repetition, Nolan builds a fully contained meta-universe for Leonard, complete with its own set of rules, that gradually builds steam in defiance of all former rules of filmmaking: a story told backwards should lose momentum. When it finally arrives at its bleak, existential faux-beginning, Memento daringly suggests that a mans id is only as stable as his memories allow it to be, and memories exist on shaky ground.
inthemoodforlove_poster.jpg
#6. In the Mood for Love - Comments coming.
1807437044p-th.jpg
#7. The Royal Tenenbaums - Comments coming.
va_savoir.jpg
#8. Va Savoir - Comments coming.
princesswarriorp.jpg
#9. The Princess and the Warrior - Comments coming.
dayibecameawoman_poster.jpg
#10. The Day I Became a Woman - Comments coming.
10 Runners-Up (In Preferential Order): A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Songs From the Second Floor, Monster's Ball, Waking Life, The Others, Kandahar, Amelie, The Devil's Backbone, The Man Who Wasn't There, Monsters, Inc..

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think it's officially on sale until January 2002. But retailers will probably have it for longer. Then as their supply runs out you'll have to go to Ebay and such to buy it.
If you don't believe Disney really puts titles on moratorium just try to go buy a copy of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, ALADDIN, or THE LION KING on VHS at a retail store.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Their situation seems a little more tenuous with DVD since they have already readjusted their list and timeframe for "limited" titles.
But as mentioned above, they have stood behind this plan very strictly in the past so I would have some concerns at this point. With LDs and VHS Disney has managed to make titles VERY scarce with the moratorium practice.
The Snow White DVD was the first Disney LD that I replaced. Up to this point their was little motivation considering the LD packages they had done. This Snow White DVD is a close effort (though missing the cool lithigraphs and HARDBACK book the LD had).
------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Even if your pocketbook's a bit light these days, I'd recommend just getting it now. Sale prices are the best when DVDs are first released, and this one's schduled to be "pulled" by the end of January. I picked it up at Tower Video for 20 bucks. Surely you can match (or beat) that price somewhere online.
And yes, I'd agree that this is a truly special DVD package.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
But I'd quell those dreams of buying 10 and getting rich off eBay. They said that the VHS of Fantasia in 1990 or so would be the last issue of it on home video, ever. But it was still plentiful and easy to find for under $20 in 1999, long before anyone dreamed they'd release it again on DVD. Ditto the folks who bought up big quantities of the 'limited release' Jungle Book and Little Mermaid on DVD, only to find now that Disney pressed so many of them that they're forced to GIVE them away with Snow White! I'd imagine we're going to be seeing Snow for a good long time.
I think the only cases where the moratorium produced high prices are the ones where people didn't know about the moratoriums, like the original release of Little Mermaid, or ones with legal trouble like Lady and the Tramp.
Still burned about paying $175 for Lady and the Tramp, which I just gave to my nephew.....
laugh.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
I just LOVE the Snow White DVD. (I don't have any nostalgia for the film itself, so it really leaves me bored ... but the art direction is staggering.)
I'm considering picking up a few copies at

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks