Snow White And Three Stooges - Stereo?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

This title came out today - does anyone have it - is it the original true stereo or one of thos fox fake jobs. - the original has highly dirrectional sound and a wide stereo spread.

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I didn't get a review copy, although Columbia has been sending us review copies of all the other Stooge DVDs, so I don't know what the answer is. Sorry.

3. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

This is a fox disc - not columbia

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Ah, that would explain it then. They didn't send us Soup to Nuts either, which I did know was Fox.

5. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Joe Caps wrote:
    The disc has English Stereo, English Mono and Spanish Mono. Just quickly tested the English Stereo in several of the available chapters and the sound is very directional with a wide stereo spread and very pleasing to the ear. [​IMG]

Paul

6. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

I'm just curious. Joe Caps always has these threads inquiring about stereo tracks. He gets very up in arms if they do the fake mono spread thing. But here, we have confirmation that the DVD has the real stereo tracks, and not a word. My question is - is he just asking these things to find out, or does he actually support Fox when they do it right (most of the time) and purchase the DVD? It's hard to know because he never ever follows up on the threads he starts. I find it odd.

I've been watching the DVD - lovely sound an image, and I must say I'm enjoying it more than I probably should. I'm finding it quite old-fashioned and charming - but why put the Three Stooges in something if you're not going to utilize what it is they're about. They're fine here, but they're given absolutely nothing funny to do - both Moe and Larry are actually quite touching in a couple of moments. But they're who they are and someone should have come on the set and given them some of their trademark shtick. We get a perfunctory pie thing, but it's not funny because it's got no anarchy, which is what the Stooges have always been about. There are a couple of pokes and slaps but again, it's just perfunctory. If you're going to call a film Snow White mees The Three Stooges, you'd better deliver what the Stooges are all about. They get the Snow White part just fine - but they dropped the ball on the Stooges.

7. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Arthur My - I buy all the Fox discs where they do it right - and I will get Snow white in a few weeks. I had to special order as none of my local shops had it in stock.
    However, I ask questions about the sound on discs for a reason. I already have Snow White and the Three Stooges letterbox and mono from Fox Movies, so I didn't want to buy it if that was all I was getting again.
    Why you, Arthur, felt the need to try to throw some mud at me again, I do not know, but apparently it gives you something solid to do.

Apologies to Robert Crawford and the gang but I am getting a bit tired of this, especially as Mr. My talks exactly like some one who was thrown off this newsgroup.

8. ArthurMy

Huh? I simply was curious Joe Caps. No offense meant, and I don't believe I "sling mud" at you. In fact, I think we've had several pleasant exchanges and agreed on several things, or am I misremembering.

As to your apologies and the accusations, I'm afraid I'm at a loss there.

As the moderators have suggested to me in the past - I have sent Joe Caps a PM.

I'm afraid I'm always taken aback at the thin skin of some posters - I've had much worse "flung" at me.

9. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Is the stereo track 2.0 or 4.0?

10. ArthurMy

Seems like 2.0 to me, Stephen. As Joe Caps pointed out, quite wide across the stereo spectrum.

I just managed to pick up yet more upcoming Fox titles, but one does get gun-shy about posting about them.

They include Forty Guns, The Best of Everything, The Razor's Edge, and The Lady in Cement.

Also got early copies of some Paramounts including Waterhole #3, Blue, and The Longest Yard.

11. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Forty Guns is another Fox film that was originally four track stereo but the track has been missing for years. Wonder what will show up on the fox dvd.

12. Steve JD

Steve JD Stunt Coordinator

Can someone confirm that the 2.0 stereo track for this DVD is indeed true stereo that comes from the original stereo mix from the 60s, or is it a terrible sounding fake stereo produced recently (that sounds more like a broad mono, like the "Three Faces of Eve" DVD). Thanks.

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I have the disc and it is indeed true stereo.
    Sadly, Three Faces of eve was in stereo in theaters but those tracks have been lost for a long time.
    Fox recently released the western, Warlock in mono and fake stereo.
    The same week I bought the dvd, I taped the film in true stereo from Fox Movies onto DVD-R

14. Steve JD

Steve JD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Joe!

It's really a shame about Warlock! I thought I had read somewhere that it would have 4.0 on this new dvd. How sloppy of Fox to release it in awful fake-stereo when they do have it in true stereo, even if it is just a 2.0 mixdown (if the 4-track masters have vanished or have fallen apart...)

Would you know if Fantastic Voyage was ever released in 4-track stereo in theatres? I have the dvd and it's a "newly created" 2.0 stereo mix. Doesn't sound too bad, but the music is obviously not in true stereo.

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I saw Fantasitc Voyage the week it opened in new York and it was mono.