What's new

Snoopers...how can u detect them? (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have been noticing that my PC seems to take longer to boot up. It kinda stops before the virus program loads which didn't happen a few weeks ago. Now my concern is that maybe there is another program "logging" on somewhere telling them that my PC is on. I know I may just be paranoid but I also know there is a program that detects any incursions. Though I do not have critival info in here, I just wanna make sure.
I am running XP Home, PCCillin and a Linksys BEF11S4 V2 router.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
If you are worried about possible remote connections, open up a dos window (Start->Run, then type CMD), and type NETSTAT -A

This will list all of the connections your computer is making. If you see something odd, you can do a NETSTAT -O to find out what process is using that connection, then do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to open up the task manager and view the process. If its not kosher - various websites (such as this one) will tell you what various processes do and if they can be stopped safely or not - kill the process and then begin your search for what started it up.

Also I'd do the following: Make certain your virus software and definitions are current; download Ad Aware to check for spyware

And don't worry, you are not paranoid. A few months ago I was infected with an IRC worm that saved itself on my harddrive using a filename simular to my Norton Antivirus. This screwed up my antivirus so it was effectively disabled, and logged my computer onto an IRC channel at each bootup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks