What's new

Snobbery of Some Audiophiles (1 Viewer)

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
What sometimes slightly irritates me about some "audiophiles" is that they seem to shred certain speaker manufacturers while recommending their own loudspeakers (or some brands they have enjoyed in the past).
I have taken issue with some of them when making these "types" of comments...and I am given a reply somewhere along the lines that this is only "MY opinion".
Ok sure this is an opinion...but is it really helpful to give an opinion shredding certain manufacturers when often these "snobbish" audiophiles have only briefly listened--almost never in a "proper" setup and almost never trying different synergistic combinations of amps/cables/cdplayer--to the speakers they are shredding...assuming that they have even listened to the models at all (actually some of these people make generalizations about an entire lineup of speakers based on one or two speakers that they have heard from the manufacturer).
I have noticed some of the "shredding" from people who have decided to buy direct. I have seen comments such as "hands down outperforms", "beats the pants off", etc. Other times I have noticed the shredding when someone chooses one speaker over another.
Basically what I am trying to say is that some people should be a little more thoughtful before putting down other products and claiming superiority of another product (NOTE: this probably does not apply to BOSE products!).

Eric Scott

Second Unit
(NOTE: this probably does not apply to BOSE products!)
The Bose owners feel exactly the way you do. The HTF owners "Ron" (in one of the longest hardware threads) in particular have voiced their opinions about ripping other peoples equipment, and how good HT systems can be had at on budget.
Most people are willing to defend their equipment (for it's price level) like it was their country. Even if they did paid good money for bad equipment (pride is not always subject to logic.) If they like it, who cares? I don't have to listen to it.
Of course, you rendered your argument moot by mentioning Bose.
But since you brought up the subject, I can tell you that my five SuperOnes with a sub provide superb, truly seamless, timbre matched sound that is perfect for 5.1 DD movies for a very modest price. The secret is the setup, not just the speakers.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
quote: Of course, you rendered your argument moot by mentioning Bose. [/quote]
This is not correct. Please note that I said "probably", and did not make any DEFINITIVE conclusions about BOSE speakers. I should have clarified because I knew someone would try to "get" me for this statement...but what I was referring to in particular was the BOSE AM series...which have DOCUMENTED evidence of having a frequency response gap. I have heard the AM15's (in a "proper" setup and hooked up to a yamaha receiver) at a relative's home...they actually sounded decent but they still have a significant hole in their frequency response. You cannot simply ignore this.
As for the other BOSE speakers, I have read that they have limited high-frequency response. BUT I don't slam them and did not intend to slam them here.
Does this satisfy you?
[Edited last by Bob_A on September 22, 2001 at 06:15 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks